Training journal for MBLD speedcubing

Hello everyone.

Here I start my training journal at MBLD speedcubing.

The idea is to memorize as many as possible scrambled Rubik’s cubes, put a blindfold on your eyes and solve them. There is a limit of time: 10 minutes per cube cumulated, with a maximum of one hour.

At the end you count the score: +1 point for each cube solved, -1 point for each cube non-solved.

My goal is following: I want at WCA worlds next year at end of july be in european top 100. For that I currently need to score at least 12 points with a good time, or at least 13 points to be sure.

Two years ago I did 10 points at home but for personnal reasons I gave up on blind speedcubing. But now I am back and motivated.

To memorize I use a grid system. Yes, I use memory palaces too but I am more confortable with grid, especially when I create scenes who need a “lot” of elements and space.

With that I use a modified version of PAO where I just use PA. The Action is what link a Person to an other Person.

To solve I use TuRBo for edges (but I think I’ll use EKA in future), and OP for corners. Due to @bjoern.gumboldt advice I learn Orozco for corners and at the same time I start to understand how commutators work. Currently I can safely use any top piece as helper and target any other piece on the cube. I work to use any piece of the cube as helper but sometimes I’m a bit lost with setup and unsetup moves. My goal at long term is to be full 3-style.

I train when I can:

• The morning and evening in the bus to go to work I practice Orozco and corners commutators.
  • At lunch I train my grid system
  • During meetings I practice OH (it’s just to train my other hand)
  • Nearly each day at night I do a MBLD session at home.

Currently I do 4 cubes (but I feel my brain re-adapting so I’m sure it will be more in the future).

2 Likes

Good to see you doing it! My best is 7 points at the moment but i am sure you will be able to do European top100 at worlds if you keep training! It maybe helpful to often do big attempts, say 12 cubes or 15 cubes without a time limit to build your brain and get you more comfortable with your normal MBLD attempts!

Sorry @batman I forgot to answer you.

First, thank you for your support.

As you said, I’m building my brain to memorize more. Currently I’m at 6 points and I’ll continue to train him to do more and more, but step by step.

The goal is as you said to be comfortable by doing more than what I expect at competition.

Currently I train at MBLD one day out of two, and the other day I train algorithms and tracing letters.

I’m not fully comfortable with Orozco corners yet, but it slowly get better with time.

This evening I had a funny fail: I tried to solve my third cube with the memo scheme of the second cube.

Lol… nice! :wink:

How did you notice? Did you use your phone to video yourself doing the solve? If you don’t do that, give it a try… maybe even speak to the camera and explain what you do next… it’ll help identifying where you went wrong. (That’s obviously not an exercise for speed but accuracy.)

I noticed that during the solve.

First, a bit of context

For my memo I use a grid system. Each cube has three images:

• One for corners
  • One for edges
  • One for flips

Here is my grid for five cubes:
Cube 1:

• Corners: wax candle
  • Edges: fir tree
  • Flips: pen
    Cube 2:
  • Corners: swan
  • Edges: arcade video game
  • Flips: hammer
    Cube 3:
  • Corners: handcuffs
  • Edges: traffic light
  • Flips: multisocket outlet
    Cube 4:
  • Corners: boat
  • Edges: four-leafed clover
  • Flips: fork
    Cube 5:
  • Corners: hook
  • Edges: candy cane
  • Flips: chirurgical gloves

And during the solve of the third cubes, I noticed that I was still using images from the second cube. And I noticed that at the middle of an algorithm, which made me stop, so I couldn’t even reverse what I done.

But to be positive: the memo was still in my head at that moment.

I have a question for you @bjoern.gumboldt

When a training session becomes an epic fail (already happened in the past), do you think I should retry with the same scrambles? I don’t know if it could help me to understand where I failed.

I’d look at it from two dimensions.

First, was it you or was it the cube? If you already had a bad day and can’t seem to catch a break, there’s not much of a point in prolonging the agony. If on the other hand, the scramble was difficult to memorize or execute, you can consider redoing the solve because you’d be practicing a weakness.

Second dimension, assume that you fail a second time. Will this motivate you to attempt the scramble one more time? If it’s really just frustrating and you can’t seem to motivate yourself, then you probably shouldn’t do it either.

So it depends on your general performance as well as your general motivation. Not sure if that really answers your questions but maybe it helps with self assessment as far as doing repeats. I don’t think there is an answer that is valid for everyone.

That’s interresting.

My mindset already drive my training:

• On good days I practise 3BLD and MBLD
  • On bad days I practise algorithms while doing something else
  • On very bad days I do something else (I don’t want my brain to associate bad mood and BLD)

Fortunately, most of the time my mindset is positive.

I can deal with that.
It already happened to me to get DNFs at competition located far from my home (so lot of travel time involved), and even if it’s disapointing, I know how to deal with that and keep motivation.

So I will retry my fails, thank you.