The music on mental well-being

An artist on a music channel once said that a well tuned instrument will vibrate when another instrument is played. This cause and effect made me think: throughout the day, we are exposed to many meaningful or meaningless sounds. Sometimes, I feel mentally exhausted from these sounds. I experience a similar situation when I listen to too many sad or happy songs. I don’t like conspiracy theories; they make me feel pessimistic. However, could I be manipulated in these situations?

1 Like

The most easily manipulated are people who don’t believe they can be manipulated. It’s probably wisest to accept that it’s possible and move on.

3 Likes

I believe that I can be ‘manipulated’ but how to prevent this kind of manipulation, I don’t know.

1 Like

You can’t, the only thing you can do it to be conscious and adjust how you act on your emotions.

2 Likes

Manipulation is a loaded word, another insight is that every experience has an impact on you for better or worse. Most certainly music would influence your mood.

More importantly is what you think of those events, akin to

“Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so” - Shakespeare

1 Like

I completely understand. I used to listen to a lot of sad, minor-key music and noticed it had a negative impact on my mood over time. The same goes for the ambient sounds around us.

A fun way to counteract this potential manipulation is to navigate life with your own kind of music.

2 Likes