Test for Aphantasia [POLL]

I request everyone to take this Test and vote what they got. This is supposed to be a test for Aphantasia. Please vote honestly and correctly.

0 voters

13 Likes

Even though it has only been a little while since you have made this post, I am a bit surprised that people who do not entirely have aphantasia see anything but 6.

I can visualise red stars popping out everytime I click my phones keyboard keys,3d spinning stars that I can walk around or my entire wall full of red star prints. Is that kind of thing the same for everyone if you poll 2-5 besides perhaps the colour?

1 Like

Well, my option isn’t even on there… first of all, I’m not a big fan of saying you have aphantasia just because you don’t see an HD picture of what you’re thinking of when closing your eyes. This has mostly to do with the fact that you don’t have time to close your eyes during competition every time you want to “see” something.

Not sure if this has anything to do with your Hyperphantasia post but I see a red star entirely differently… so you got the little red book and so things start going Chinese quickly there and star becomes (xing). Let’s build that character:

一, 二, 工, 三, 王, 生, 晶, 星 (roughly: one, two, work, three, king, life, crystal, star)

…and I guess that is where we go from square to cube to hypercube… the image, which is really just the feeling of the essence, is a composite of all of the above. Doesn’t make sense to you… well, I said “hypercube”…

okay, well… if https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torus#n-dimensional_torus still makes sense to you we’re good. Hope that makes some sort of sense… it’s really too hard to explain. The image sounds like this by the way: https://youtu.be/UtL1bv0DWNo?t=163

By the way , no problem with theta or delta waves or visualizing in dreams… so if I feel it beneficial for long term memory palaces I might “visualize” things for 5-10 minutes before falling asleep and then going over it the next morning… BUT, in the middle of the day: close your eyes, imagine a red star… no, not like any of the above… visually it a zero.

4 Likes

Well rather it is quite strange.

I never had Aphantasia, so I expected to see something like 6, however when I visualize it even though the shape of star
is distinct but the colour does not comes out that much. So what I got is 5.

I think with that pinkish colour, my brain feels like convinced and doesn’t create any more vivid red shade.

However If I see a vivid red colour first and then do it, I get 6. But I think it is because my brain memorises the colour instantly but cannot create such a vivid colour of its own randomly and naturally.

It is surprising that there is this range of visualization. I expected it to be more like on the extremes like a user would either see 1 or 6.

@bjoern.gumboldt have you any other such instances where you cannot visualize something directly ?

3 Likes

It’s not really that I cannot… my brain just doesn’t see the need for it. Imagine a crossword puzzle where some of the letters in the puzzle are numbered to give you a single answer phrase at the end. My brain is really just interested in solving the words that give you these letters… solving the overall crossword is not needed for that.

Ultimately, and this is where I have a problem with the word aphantasia, because it suggests that you have no imagination; when really why should you limited yourself to looking at photographs? I mean Impressionists, Expressionists, Dali, and Picasso (just to name a few) didn’t bother with seeing the red star above as it is originally depicted. Maybe this best gets across what I’m trying to say:

So why limit your “imagination” (yes, it has the word image in it) to just 3 dimensions and the wavelength your eye can pick up?

Is this like the “look at a candle and then close your eyes and imagine it”-thing? I’m sure that works for everyone… but that’s more your physical eye rather than your mental eye. I don’t think that helps much with this “traditional” visualizing thing we’re talking about.

Anyways, I can do the star up to 2-3 before falling asleep and usually dream at 5-6 but really not something I’d choose to do when it comes to memorizing information, etc. There too much other stuff going on at any given moment when awake to bother with forming mental images in hi-def.

@Vertexion can you visualize with your eyes open? If so, where in the room do you project the image? Is it as real as a hallucination?

By the way, I have no problems with names and faces or the P in a PAO or traversing memory palaces.

Well I just tried to visualise a blue circle in a wall of my room with my eyes open. Strangely I cannot visualize it. It feels like a sense of something being there but I honestly cannot Imagine or see the circle.

However if I close my eyes or look anywhere else and then imagine that blue circle in that same wall (without seeing that wall directly), I am achieving quite good visual image.

No, it isn’t hallucination. It just like a sense of something should be there or something is missing but you cannot remember what it was. Its rather very hard to explain.

@bjoern.gumboldt, what is your experience with something like that?

I have to make a conscious effort to colour the star or it’s black and white. Do most people imagine in colour by default?

I do imagine in colour by default, I believe others do so too.

1 Like

Nagime, yep, it’s the easiest way.

1 Like

I see a vivid red star in front of me. Perhaps it’s the Macy’s red star, or the communist red star, or astronomically, a red supergiant star about to explode. It’s so big that the entire orbits of several planets could comfortably fit inside of it.

4 Likes

I’m surprised a lot of people responded with a 6. Are your visualizations really that vivid? And is that how normal people visualize things? Mine is somewhere between a 4-5. Maybe that’s why I didn’t do so well in school. I literally can’t conceptualize certain things.

1 Like

I just saw a great thing. impossible to expain

Although i did vote for 6,I’d still say my visualization ability is not the best.
But it’s certainly trainable.I have made quite a progress over the last 10 months just by actively observing things around me.

I voted 1. I can’t really see anything when I try to imagine a red star. I definitely don’t have aphantasia though - I have had vivid dreams where I could see things with perfect clarity.

2 Likes

Individuals with aphantasia still often have very vivid dreams, but does this mean you can visualise things other than a red star very clearly, and it just happens to be that this red star is unusual?

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve put a 5 in my answer as I did not really get the ‘red’ right… I saw a very vivid star (as in the graphic representation, not as in ‘Sun’), but the color was more yellow/orange – Very bright indeed, but I thought I should emphasize that the command ‘see it RED’ did not quite stick.
In fact, even if I try again, even right now, I have a hard time giving this thing any other colour than that I originally ‘felt’ for the object.
To change its colour, I need to change the nature of the object: I have no issue in visualizing a red star, of the type you find in Christmas decorations. I get a vivid image for that, too, but in the ‘heat of the test’ it seems to me - in retrospective - as the word ‘star’ kinda overrode its qualities. It came up very quick and very vividly, but with its own colour, on which I have relative power.
I can imagine it white, orange but not really RED!
That’s so bizarre!

I didn’t realise that - I had only read about aphantasiacs like Blake Ross and Penn Jillette who don’t have visual dreams.

I can visualise other things vaguely, not clearly. For some reason I get nothing for the red star.

2 Likes

Star? What star? I see a pinkish blob. Or more accurately the feeling that there is a red star that is hidden behind frosted glass. That if I could just rid of the barrier I would see the star.

I also have the feeling that the star is just at the edge of my peripheral vision. As if I turned my head fast enough I might see it.

Same thing goes for remembering faces. Heaven forbid anyone ask me to describe what my husband looks like.

I’ve often wondered if my visual imagination & memory has been co-opted or trained for more abstract thinking.

2 Likes

The first few seconds the colour was not so intense, and the contour not so sharp. I had to put a bit of effort for the star to become intense red, and the lines distinct.

I wonder how this capacity or incapacity to imagine objects clearly, affects the way people use images or loci in their brains to memorize things.

1 Like