Take notes on paper or computer?

When you are studying/learning something new do you take notes on paper or computer?

I’m asking just for the sake of curiosity.

thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I take notes, on the computer- I just can’t seem to get any memory benefit that others experience from paper and it is much faster by computer (a factor of around 10 for me).

If I take notes with a computer it is actually more memorable for me than by paper.

1 Like

Over the past few years I’ve been using computers more often, but I prefer paper.

I’m in my 40s and grew up before computers were everywhere, but I feel like I get better results with paper.

1 Like

Using paper seems more efficient, but it takes time, so I generally take notes at a computer, other than in special cases in which I have to strengthen my confidence and knowledge of a word or making my own golden list.

1 Like

For notetaking, i still prefer on paper. The analog. I find it more sticking to my memory. I somehow regret not to learn stenography. It is difficult now to find a stenographer. It is like an art starting to fade.

2 Likes

I use computer,smartphone, tablet PC to take notes. I rarely use paper. 99% of my office and personal work is computer based. So, I don’t even get a chance to use paper! Besides, I am a tech savvy type person. I prefer digital stuffs over analog! :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you for all replies.

Paper all the way. I don’t mind if it takes more time since it is better for learning!

1 Like

I can type almost at dictation speed. If I use a computer, the information seems to get transcribed without making much impression on my brain.

I take written notes. The writing requires more engagement and the speed forces me to summarize which in turn requires further mental engagement. Then I rewrite my notes at home with absurd care and neatness. Between these two exposures I pretty much have the material.

2 Likes

I have seen these studies. The conclusions are consistent with my personal experience. But as in all matters concerning the human mind, we vary widely and some might do just fine taking notes on a laptop.

3 Likes