Synergising the Method of Loci and Lucid Dreaming?

I would like to mention that there are already threads discussing similar topics to this and because I’m new here I’m not familiar with the proper etiquette. Considering most of those threads were nearly 4 years old I figured it would be best just to make a new one.

I would consider myself somewhere between being a beginner and an intermediate with the Method of Loci and I have never actively attempted and succeeded at lucid dreaming (I have been aware I am dreaming without use of techniques, but I never did anything about it). My thought processes go like this:

  1. Sleep is a time where the subconscious brain attempts to strengthen pre-existing neural pathways and practice things you have done throughout the day.
  2. Lucid dreaming allows a person far more control over all aspects of a dream than they would have in real life.
  3. Many lucid dreamers report their dreams to be more vivid than real life.
  4. The method of loci is a technique which allows us to increase to exponentially increase the rate and capacity at which we remember (opposed to the use of no techniques).

I thought it would make sense if during sleep we could use the conscious brain to apply these techniques to lucid dreams in order to make them even more memorable and therefore greatly increasing memorising inability, possibly to a point that we would have not thought conceivable without this technique or drugs.
I have discussed applying the method of loci to make dreaming more effective, however I hypothesise that it might also be possible to apply lucid dreaming to make the method of loci more effective at its secondary tasks. Many people fighting clinical depression report to have more frequent dreams that are more vivid and negative. They also have little control over these dreams. If we can take the order from memory palaces where we are always in control over what we put inside them and put them in lucid dreams (say for example to teleporting to the entrance of your memory palace) this may with treating depression.

There have also been links with both lucid dreaming and the method of loci and problem solving. Is it possible that they could somehow be synergised here too?

Finally, lucid dreaming would obviously be a way to quickly create vast and vivid memory palaces as well as create vivid loci.

Has anyone had experience lucid dreaming? Have you tried combining it with the method of loci? If so, what was the result?

Also, for those of you who have tried lucid dreaming I’d appreciate some advice:
What was the most effective method of inducing lucid dreams for you? How do you stay calm during your dreams so that you do not wake up? Has lucid dreaming increased the frequency of sleep paralysis for you? < I don’t want fear of this to hold me back, but I would like to be aware of what I’m getting in to.

I understand I have posed many, very broad questions with difficult answers but hopefully we can get somewhere with this idea together as it seems very promising.

The commonly used lucid dream induction method MILD stand for Mneumonic Induced Lucid Dream, I believe.

Beware the wingnuts

Technically speaking lucid dreaming occurs during the REM stage of sleep, a stage in which your memory is diminished due to a lack of most language. If you lucid dream, there is little chance that you remember more than a normal dream, so combining it with the method of loci would be difficult, and maybe impossible. As for inducing lucid dreaming, the method that works for me is a dim light or sound as a trigger, although I know some people train themselves to look for a point to control their dreams. But don’t be scared of the paralysis aspect, sleep paralysis is a normal thing that the body does in REM sleep which as I said earlier is when lucid dreaming occurs (I think that’s what you are asking but I am not sure).

Best of luck

1 Like

CuriousTurtle, homie,

this question you asked was meant for me to find.

I had an epiphany 30 minutes ago. I then Google searched dream recall. I stumbled on, and learned, what the “Method of Loci” was and proceeded to search “Method of Loci and dreams”. The result lead me to your question.

I know nothing about the art of memory more than what the Wikipedia page that I found with the statue of loci on it. But I know I want to dream, and apart of dreaming is dream recall. Recall is hard, and now I know why. Still that is where my skill lies- dream recall>lucid dreaming.

Dream recall -for me- is best preformed at a rapid, rapid, rapid pace. It is difficult, like surfing lightning. REM sleep is RAPID Eye Movement… and so are the dreams’ lifespan that happen during. You must be present and asleep. It’s letting go and controlling too. It’s creating and beholding. It’s trance.

So! Tonight I tried to remember the places of my dreams; one after the other. Why? 1)Dreams I have move from the beginning to the end of a space, before transitioning to another- Like how the sun rises and sets everyday.
2)Dreams are easy for me to remember when I think of the PLACE I am in. This lead me to the mind palace in the Method of Loci. It is true- places are totes easier to REMember (heheheh).

As you do- as you… remember the place… you can try sit still… in the “living photo” and watch it grow in distance, depth, color, and events. BEFORE YOU FORGET HAHAHAHA!

OK! So I think of a place I can remember that was in a dream I had, which comes and goes like a glint of light. The image can grow in detail, but it’s hard to sustain, unless “chained” to another dream.

It’s like rapping freestyle. How long can one rhyme, whilst telling a comprehensive story? All at a moderate or fast pace! Skillz.

It takes a lotta years. Years building each mind palace, after mind palace. I have gone so mad, I try to map the dreams in 3D space in sculpture and 2D in drawings. Hint; 4d cannot be seen in 3d cannot be seen in 2d in its entirety… though M.C. Escher did a good job on "Relativity

I digress…

Remember the dream and how you got there, and that will lead you to the end of the dream and you can see another and ride the intra-omni motion that is your mind.

I understand that this was a weird answer, but I was lead to type this message to you. And you! And you, and you and YOU!

I hope this helps someone.

2 Likes