Start-up a new exercise routine on number system!

I am going to start a new training routine for my long lost skill.
That is my number system PAOX. It doesn’t mean that I can’t remember
numbers. I can remember about 30 digits in a minute.
I know it is very slow. I do recall my number pins everyday!
I think the reason why I am slow is I seldom train.
Training is a process to familiar with the combinations of the system.

So, I want to make a challenge to myself and everyone who reads this post.
We will memorise a set of 1000 digits within this month.
It can be your friend’s cell phone number, 1000 pi numbers or any set of data you think it is exciting and meaningful.

If you are willing to challenge with me, you could post your target below related to a set of 1000-digits or more.

1. Target object

2. The number of minutes you would spend on a day or hour in a week

3. Log down your progression once a week.

4. Remarks (if any)?

I aim to remember a thousand of pi digits within this month.
I will spend ten minutes a day using PAOX to memorise it.
No matter I did it or not, I would make a reflection at the end of the month.

9 Likes

Unfortunately, I’ve done 2,000 digits of pi before and currently I’m preparing for a mental calculation championship, so it doesn’t quite fit my schedule… but related to that I could memorize* the squares of 11 to 100.

1. \textcolor{blue}{ 11^2 - 100^2 }
  2. 1 hour setup on day 1; afterwards, 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes at night
  3. will post when you post your update next week, just tag me in your post
  4. 11^2 - 31^2 are 3-digit numbers and the rest are 4-digit numbers

*currently, I calculate them via really fast shortcuts

4 Likes

That’s awesome :clap:

1 Like

@bjoern.gumboldt
It was a week since then. I went through 320 digits of pi but my correctness is 70% due to most recent loci are not yet stabilize. I planed to go through 40 digits everyday. However, I turned out to memorise about 80 digits in four days.
It is because I was busy and being lazy.

Hopefully, next weekend I will have done the first 500 pi digits and have a correctness of 90%.

4 Likes

Do you organize your loci in advance? Or do you get then on the go?

I planed. But not very concise, I mean I am not sure how many loci is in a path.
I am using a second path at the moment. The previous path holds about 250 digits I think.

1 Like

@Antelex

\textcolor{red}{11^2 - 31^2}: memorized the squares via direct association:

• 18^2 is 324 because 8x3=24
  • 19^2 is 361 because if you rotate 19 by 180° you get 61
  • 21^2 is 441 because 21 is 12 backwards (12^2=144)

\textcolor{green}{32^2 - 99^2}: memorized by pairing 2-digit P with 3 digit image

• 97^2 = 9409 Bill Clinton with a purse (940) filled with balloons (9*)
  • 85^2 = 7225 Vladimir Lenin (85) with a cannon (722) shooting tea cups (5*)

*the shapes are just in case I blank, but the rule is that 0, 1, 5, and 6 always end in squares with 0, 1, 5, and 6; respectively. Same goes for 10 compliments, so 1 and 9 is the same, 6 and 4 is the same. The missing 2 and 8 are both 4, “mnemonic because” 2x4=8. 3 and 7 are both 9, but everybody knows 3² is 9.

I have a set of seven memory palaces for year codes when I do calendar calculation. These seven uniquely hold all Ps (as in PAO) from 00 - 99. Since there are no 3-digit images in these palaces yet, there is no confusion adding an image to each P.

I’m pretty solid on both after one week, but I’m going to add 3-digit images for the rest of them and prefix them with a 0, so 18 from above will receive 032 (not 32 nor 324). That’s just because switching systems is slowing me down. This way there is no need to determine first if the number is greater than 31 or not.

At the moment I’m faster on a few with mnemonics but still slower on others. I have to control myself to not calculate and use the mnemonics. Things ending in 0 are pretty bad, because they are already known from the single digit squares; 50^2=2,500 because 5^2=25.

The worst are powers of 2 though 16^2=256; 32^2=1,024; 64^2=4,096; etc. I just see those before I can even calculate or use mnemonics, so those I’ll skip.

I’ll update you next week!

ps: congrats on your progress even if you were “busy and being lazy” :wink:

3 Likes

Though I do not completely understand your trail, it is pretty awesome!
Just an inquiry, do you think your method is quicker than mental math of x^2?
I search on youtube the methodologist can do it really quick.

1 Like

Once I manage to ignore the number and just read its image it will be. I don’t have to spend much time (virtually none) to find any number between 00 and 99 in those seven memory palaces. I’ve used those images for a couple of years for calendar calculation already.

The 3-digit image that is now attached to the person is new, but after one week already pretty logically linked to the person. Also, it’s not a 2-digit O from the PAO, but something completely unrelated, so there will be no confusion there. So if I compare:

73 \to Kylie Minogue with a* lemon \to 532_ (last digit is 9 by the way)

it is faster than any shortcut I know. On the other hand, if I compare

85 \to Vladimir Lenin with a* cannon \to 722_ (last digit is 5 by the way)

Shortcut: squares of ab where b=5 always end in 25 and have a*(a+1) on the left, so 8x9=72 and 25 on the right. Same issue with 65, 55, 45, etc.

*it’s not really “with a” but no need to share the whole story.

As a benchmark, it takes me roughly 2 seconds to calculate the weekday for a calendar date between Jan 1, 1600 and Dec 31, 2099. So within this whole addition and modulo 7 process, I also look up the year code via the Ps in the seven memory palaces.

Kylie Minogue is in the Sunday (code = 0) palace, Vladimir Lenin in the Monday palace (code = 1). Let’s say the time it takes me to do the rest of the calendar calculation is now the time I use to see the 3-digit object they are associated with, translate the image back into it’s number and add the last digit.

On average that’ll be 2 second per square then. I’m not sure if it’ll actually have to take that long because year code lookup is a very small portion of those 2 seconds and the second image is right there with the person, so I’d think that it’s faster.

Either way, depending on the shortcut you use when calculating the squares, the steps necessary will vary a little and the times will not be as homogenous when compared to mnemonics. Lastly, I need to get 11-31 set up, because just looking to see if the number if greater than 31 or not, to either use this method or the direct association costs too much time.

Let me know the fastest method you can find for 73^2 please. I’ve written about shortcuts on this forum and so have others; but I think for 72, 73, 77, and 78 the mnemonic approach will be faster.

1 Like

Here i am with my footprint so i want to make pi number memorize or phone number, im not sure, so i can combine it,
I memorize two things, so im not any expert for memorize thing not sure if in long time it will be different hehe i hope,

Pi 1000 digit will divide by 30 days will be 33.3333 digit per day, so if i have 00-99 major system i here i think,
33 will be 17 object for 34 digit
17 object will make interaction with pair
I mean 4 digit in one loci , so 17 object will have 9 loci,
I need 9 loci per day,
One day is one scene
So next 30 day i will have 30 scene with 9 loci each scene, i have 1000 number of pi number
30 phone number of my family and friend

Sound fun but i need time for that, i try it tomorrow, how fast i can remember that 34 digits in one day

1 Like

@Firman
The going gets tough, the tough gets going. Hurrays!

2 Likes

I move from 33 to 30,
So one loci for 3 things and i need 5 loci per scene
14-15-92
Deer Duel Bin
Deer doing duel with light saber and caught by bin

65-35-89
Jail hit by mail and fly with fab

Day before i only prepare pre selected scene
I train by writing it out

1 Like

Now I already remember 90 pi number, maybe someday i try 60 per day because 30 is overkill today

1 Like

@Antelex
week 2 update

Faster with mnemonics on all of them now… either squaring or backwards with square root.

2 Likes

@bjoern.gumboldt
To all joiners, I am so sorry to reply u all, I failed the task.
I know it’s a long time since then.
Also, I was promised to give my final reflection about the month.
I think it’s time to make an end.

Over the month, my first week was where I most motivated to do the task.
In which, I did remember about 240-pi. Second week was acceptable I went through
about next 200-pi. To my remembering, the next month is where I slowed down my progression. In that week, I was busy in my assignments and projects. After that, I even still for a while…

However, things gonna changes. I changed my mindset and I started to do training everyday. Whereas I was taking underground I do revision and optimizations by my application. The time flew, I see this post and feeling that I have to give myself a reflection.

Forget about the above dumb things! Let’s see my result. I remembered about 850-pi with these Apps.
App 1: An image visualizer app in the format of PAOX.

App 2: Checking the correctness of pi.
Screenshot_20191109-235124
Both Apps are convenient. They are crucial in my progression.

1 Like