Songlines: the Power and Promise book on memory coming November 2020

I just ran across this forthcoming book on songlines, indigenous knowledge and memory systems in Australia, to be published by Thames & Hudson in November 2020 by Margo Neale and Lynne Kelly.

I’m sure fans of Kelly’s The Memory Code, Memory Craft, and Knowledge and Power in Prehistoric Societies will be excited to bookmark it for purchase when it’s released. I can’t wait to get a copy.

Is anyone else actively practicing these sorts of techniques–particularly with song/dance components?

8 Likes

Quick update to indicate that @LynneKelly’s most recent book was just released in the United States. Still patiently waiting for my copy to arrive.

3 Likes

Looking forward to it!

Looks good. I picked up a copy.

Thank you so much for mentioning my new book. Thank you for the tag, chrisaldrich. It is written with Aboriginal co-author, Margo Neale and through the National Museum of Australia. It is wonderful that memory techniques are being recognised as a critical component of societies for millennia. I am really pleased to have such a significant Indigenous endorsement of my work - it can be tricky as a white person writing about Indigenous knowledges.

The theme includes the idea that by incorporating memory techniques in contemporary life, along with writing and technology - we can have the best of both worlds.

I incorporate all the techniques described in my memory experiments - and there are practicing Indigenous elders and cultures still using them. But I also mention the broader picture of memory techniques globally and in contemporary society. I’d love to know if others here are using song and dance as well as story and lively characters to encode knowledge. It is a combination which works a treat.

Now to change the world of education, and lifelong learning. Mnemonics rule, OK?!

Lynne

7 Likes

Hi!

Just finished reading Songlines. It was great! It finally tied in all for me - when I was done reading the other books I dabbled in creating a khipu and also a Lulian circle, but the information hadn’t been interacted with enough and it wound up not working well.

Now I know exactly what to do. As soon as quarantine lifts I’m going out to encode information in the nearest forest, and make songs and vivid images for it. Then I’ll walk it again and again for revision.

I just want to thank you @LynneKelly, this is possibly life changing stuff! I’m very grateful for your work. Bless you!

2 Likes

Hi SuperCameos,

Thank you so much for saying such lovely things. It’s comments like this that make all the work feel worthwhile. Songlines has been shortlisted for the Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards, which was a delightful shock. That already means that people are reading it who would not normally read anything about memory systems. If it wins, it will give me a platform to push this fantastic art form further out into the big world.

Thank you again,
Lynne

5 Likes

Does the book discuss using nature for memory palaces? That’s something I haven’t tried, probably due to a lack of familiarity with nature. Trees and rocks and such seem too irregular and non-distinct to serve as effective memory palaces. I would love to not think that way, if possible, though.

Hi QiJitsu,

Songlines does talk about using nature, including in the chapters by my Aboriginal co-author, Margo Neale, so from an indigenous perspective. The songlines are entirely linked to natural objects, from rocks and caves, to trees and mountains.

I talk a little bit about this in Memory Craft. In The Memory Code, I talked about about the reasons stones are particularly valuable in Neothlithic monuments such as Stonehenge and the thousands of stone circles in Western Europe/UK and in many other places in the world. Stare at stones and rocks and you will find that each one has an individual character. The bluestones which were transported to Stonehenge (the smaller ones, not the great big trilathons) are particularly blotchy, especially when wet. You can see endless images in them. A stone circle of bluestones, as Stonehenge was for 500 years before the big guys were brought in, would make an amazingly effective memory palace. But I even use a stone wall made of much smaller stones, as a palace. Each stone is so distinctive.

It works much better, though, if you move along a path in nature, as is the case for Australian Aboriginal songlines, Native American pilgrimage paths, Pacific Islander ceremonial roads, Inca cheques … they are all memory palaces in nature.

I use natural features a lot in my memory palaces. Every tree is absolutely distinctive, not only because of its shape and the images in the bark, but also for the context. I have one tree for the Chinese character for heart, for example, and I use the branches and trunk to map the character. It took a few moments imagination, but now when I look at that tree, the relevant branches stand out and make the character for me every time.

The fact that trees and rocks are so irregular is what makes them so good for memory locations - you can imagine anything into them - your brain will do it naturally, just as it does for clouds. The idea that they are non-distinct is not an issue, because plenty are distinct and these are the ones that you chose as a location. You don’t use every rock and tree, only the distinct ones.

Please try it. You will be surprised how perfectly it works. Also name each tree or rock or crevice or stream, path twist or natural step - and name something useful as indigenous cultures do. We tend to name things after dead people, but they will name it as ‘the rock with the red top’ - which I’d call Red Rocky for fun.

Just start at one point and find a distinctive rock, tree or start to a walking track. Then walk on a few metres (I usually do 10 - 20 metre distances) and look around for something distinctive for the second location. It works a treat!

I do hope that you tag me in any response if you do get a chance to try it.

Lynne

8 Likes

Thanks Lynne! That’s exactly what I needed to get started. I’ll let you know how it works out!

I look forward to it.

Lynne

1 Like

Hi Lynne! I went out to a trail near my home and practiced picking out loci. It was actually a lot of fun and the most interesting thing I noticed about it is that I naturally started to create myths around some of the loci. For example, a tree snapped in half and it looked as if the local parks department must have cut up some of the limbs leaving what looked like a big slingslot laying on the ground. I imagined that a giant had snapped the tree in half and fashioned a slingshot out of it. Then I realized, yep, this is how myths probably got started as loci - just like my ancestors, the songlines, or anything must have been. It was really cool to get a great memory palace and also feel a connection with my ancestors in that way.

4 Likes

Love it. That’s exactly what happens to me. Stories just come and I love developing new memory palaces. I love the way you are feeling connections. Without trying it, people can’t imagine how emotional and positive that connection can become.

Enjoy!

Lynne

4 Likes