Some Ideas for the Periodic Table with the Major System

I have it all memorized already, but I thought for those of us with a more traditional approach, I thought I’d try my own method. The goal here is to link the atomic number with the name of the element, so you can (after a few seconds or less) say which is the 59th, the 78th, the 104th, etc.

For the numbers, I’m using the Major System. You should be able to figure it out. Maybe you have some better ideas for some of the elements. Let me know.

1. hydrogen - Water from a hydrant splashes all over your tie.
  2. helium - A balloon filled with wine.
  3. lithium - Your home is filled with millions of giant lithium batteries.
  4. beryllium - A ray of light shines upon the green emeralds (a mineral containing beryllium), blinding you.
  5. boron - What a boring hill. It’s so boring it’s actually memorable.
  6. carbon - As you get dressed, you find your shoe is filled with sharp diamonds (a mineral containing carbon).
  7. nitrogen - The knight in shining armor uses a key to unlock the sky (key and sky are both 7).
  8. oxygen - A strong and mighty ox is splashed upon by a giant wave, or poisoned with ivy.
  9. fluorine - Somehow, eating pie is now a criteria to diagnose the flu.
  10. neon - A group of vandals are throwing their dice at a neon sign, breaking it.
  11. sodium - Toads in your soda can? Eww.
  12. magnesium - Dinosaurs must have died due to giant magnets inside their stomachs.
  13. aluminium - It’s time to join your aluminium sports team.
  14. silicon - Your tires are really massive computer chips (one of the main uses of silicon).
  15. phosphorus - I’m sitting on a towel, contemplating philosophy (philosophy might trigger the word phosphorus for you).
  16. sulfur - A dish of smelly, rotten sulfur. Just imagine being served that for dinner.
  17. chlorine - A deck of cards gets bleached clean by accident (chlorine compounds are common in bleach).
  18. argon - (Noah’s Ark) All of the doves are gone!
  19. potassium - I tried to use tape to repair a banana.
  20. calcium - NASA wants your bones for… weird experiments.
  21. scandium - Note to the Vikings (Scandinavians): stop doing (insane action here) in my house!
  22. titanium - A nun trains to become a strong titan.
  23. vanadium - This van has a strange name.
  24. chromium - It’s an honor to give you this chrome plated badge.
  25. manganese - This man, if you please (man, please, manganese to avoid confusion with magnesium), shall stomp on this nail.
  26. iron - Nachos really do contain a lot of iron.
  27. cobalt - The cobbler’s store needs to be nuked.
  28. nickel - Slicing a nickel coin with a knife. Somehow.
  29. copper - Using my fancy fountain pen nib, I shall write in a copper color.
  30. zinc - This kilogram mass piece is made of zinc… I zinc (think - pun intended here).
  31. gallium - I ate this mat, and it is the cause of my gallbladder problems.
  32. germanium - The moon has fallen to Earth and has crashed in Germany.
  33. arsenic - Mummies have severe arsenic poisoning.
  34. selenium - Selena Gomez is a bit crazy with her hammer.
  35. bromine - Your annoying roommate. Bro, you’ve got mail. Bro! BRO!
  36. krypton - Superman has used a match to set fire to his planet.
  37. rubidium - I’m trying to record into a red, ruby mic.
  38. strontium - A strong man lifts up an entire movie theater.
  39. yttrium - The map just has a giant Y on it. Why?!
  40. zirconium - A rose made of zircon.
  41. niobium - Niobe, the bereaved mother from Greek mythology, weeping as she discovers rats.
  42. molybdenum - Molly’s denim is resistant to the rain.
  43. technetium - The army is having severe technical difficulties.
  44. ruthenium - Ruth has an intricate orrery (a mechanical model of the solar system).
  45. rhodium - The royals have declared the construction of a road leading to the palace.
  46. palladium - My pals are rich.
  47. silver - I have found a silver rock! A real silver rock!
  48. cadmium - The reef was contaminated with toxic yellow paint (this was one of the main uses for cadmium before it was phased out).
  49. indium - A special rope from India.
  50. tin - Hey, tie my shoelaces. What? Your laces are made of tin!
  51. antimony - This lid repels monkeys - it’s an anti-monkey lid.
  52. tellurium - Tell the lion that he smells of garlic (tellurium has a strong garlic smell that will last for months).
  53. iodine - AAAHHH!!! I have lime juice in my eye!
  54. xenon - The Oilers (Edmonton Oilers, an NHL hockey team) draft the young player Xe Non, number 54.
  55. caesium - The lilies will cease to exist soon.
  56. barium - Latch the door so the bear can’t get in!
  57. lanthanum - There’s a glow in the lake - who threw a lantern into the lake?
  58. cerium - Cereal and milk? No. Cereal and lava.
  59. praseodymium - The praise of God in the lab freaked everyone out.
  60. neodymium - My juice was poured on strong neodymium magnets, rendering them ineffective (neodymium magnets are crazy strong - look them up if you don’t know about them).
  61. promethium - The pros use a jet to get around.
  62. samarium - I do not like you, Sam I Am. I’ll chain you to this element.
  63. europium - Gems are discovered across Europe.
  64. gadolinium - The gadget I ordered turned out to be a jar.
  65. terbium - I eat jello with turbo speed.
  66. dysprosium - Who’s the judge in a dystopia?
  67. holmium - The football jock has a massive hole in his jersey.
  68. erbium - The chief loves tasting new herbs.
  69. thulium - (Thule is a mythological place around Scandinavia or Iceland) I drove the jeep all the way to Thule.
  70. ytterbium - A suitcase (case) is sent to me. Why turbo speed? (Y terbium - ytterbium) I don’t know.
  71. lutetium - The cat can play the lute. Very badly.
  72. hafnium - I sliced a can in half.
  73. tantalum - The child has a tantrum over not winning a game.
  74. tungsten - The car sticks out its tongue.
  75. rhenium - The coil recoils and bounces - it hits me in the knee (re(coil) - knee - rhenium).
  76. osmium - All of this cash is awesome!
  77. iridium - I baked an expensive cake, and now, I rid of it all (I rid - iridium, though the i is a “short i” in iridium).
  78. platinum - A platinum cave.
  79. gold - Inside is a golden cap.
  80. mercury - You shattered a vase and liquid mercury spilled out.
  81. thallium - (Thallium is as toxic as arsenic) A fight breaks out over who poisoned the dinner with thallium.
  82. lead - Vines grow all over the old lead pipes.
  83. bismuth - (Bismuth forms very colorful crystals) The foam has burst open, revealing the beautiful bismuth crystals inside.
  84. polonium - Poland is on fire.
  85. astatine - The foil from outer space has swallowed the astro-teen!
  86. radon - The fish is hit with radiation by Don, and dies.
  87. francium - France has produced a lot of figs this year.
  88. radium - A fief is glowing due to radiation. There’s no Don here, so radium.
  89. actinium - Vaping is a strange act.
  90. thorium - Thor uses his hammer to destroy a bus.
  91. protactinium - You get into your boots to discover something sharp - a protractor has found its way inside your boot.
  92. uranium - Your bones are glowing due to uranium - maybe from a trip to Uranus.
  93. neptunium - A beam of laser light is directed towards Neptune.
  94. plutonium - Beer from Pluto tastes terrible.
  95. americium - Kick the ball all across America.
  96. curium - A badge cures most everything.
  97. berkelium - I went to Berkeley, California just to borrow a specific book.
  98. californium - I know a buff dude in California.
  99. einsteinium - Albert Einstein has been hit on the head with a pipe.
  100. fermium - A disease has plagued Enrico Fermi.
  101. mendelevium - After inventing the periodic table, Dmitri Mendeleev makes some toast.
  102. nobelium - Alfred Nobel needs a design for his prizes.
  103. lawrencium - Ernest Lawrence looks at you in dismay.
  104. rutherfordium - Ernest Rutherford has a taser. Ouch.
  105. dubnium - Dubai runs on diesel fuel.
  106. seaborgium - Glenn T. Seaborg discovers the white sage (seriously, there’s almost nothing for 106).
  107. bohrium - Niels Bohr is in the disco party.
  108. hassium - Has anyone an adhesive?
  109. meitnerium - Lise Meitner needs a heads up about nuclear fission.
  110. darmstadtium - Darn! Stats on my game were lost! Idiots!
  111. roentgenium - Wilhelm Röntgen has a bad attitude about x-rays.
  112. copernicium - Nicolaus Copernicus had outdone everyone when it came to the solar system.
  113. nihonium - Japan (Nihon) is at the top of the totem pole.
  114. flerovium - Georgy Flyorov (Flerov) took a detour to learn about spontaneous fission.
  115. moscovium - Moscow citizens love to doodle.
  116. livermorium - Livermore might detach itself from everything but the periodic table.
  117. tennessine - Tennessee is a giant hotdog.
  118. oganesson - Yuri Oganessian included an additive or two about the periodic table, discovering a few of these last elements.
8 Likes

Even though our Major images rarely match up, this is incredibly helpful. Thank you!

Bob

Thanks. I do have a few I changed to avoid conflicts.

This is far too complicate !
When you control a “100-Peg-System”, then it just normal, to use it with the orbital groups. Run the 118 elements a few times through by following them with counting by the fingers and you will master even the electron configurations of each element. Remember that the singular of “period” means something very different as the plural “periods”. There are periods, period-groups and period-blocs (s-, p-, d-, f-orbital groups & s-, p-, d-, f-orbital blocs). Further is the electron building principle only a descriptions of the elements. With an electron spectrograph scientist found 21 elements, which are exceptions. Chromium, Nickel, Copper, Niobium, Molybdenum, Technetium, Ruthenium, Palladium, Silver, Platin & Gold move an additonal electron towards a lower energy level. Palladium moves even 2 additional electrons. Lanthanum, Cerium, Gadolinium, Actinium, Thorium, Protactinium, Uran, Neptunium, Curium and Lawrencium move an additional electron towards a higher energy level. Thorium moves even 2 additional electrons outwards ! )
Learn what are the quantum numbers for and how they describe the electron configuration of each element. It is very easy !!!
In August I will publish a video on YouTube under “Christian Duerig” which will help you to understand the periodic table like a professional !!!
Ganbatte, Matane, Ganbarinakereba ikemashou !!! (Translate via Google into English !) Christian
PS: Prof. Sir Martyn Poliakoff at Nottingham University ("Einstein of Chemistry) will tell you, what Orbitals are. Go to YouTube an search for “Orbital - Chem Definiton”
Good luck !!!

2 Likes

Yep - I know what orbitals are, and they are important for the chemistry student to master, but without a clear understanding of where the chemical elements are, such a task would feel insurmountable. Knowledge of orbitals and electron configurations I’d argue should come later, after one has memorized the periodic table.