Slow Reading

(Josh Cohen) #1

People here might be interested in this:

Slow Reading: the antithesis of speed reading

By default, most people read as quickly as they’re comfortable with – this happens without any conscious effort. To start slow reading, you read as slowly as you’re comfortable with – it should feel comfortable, not labored. The goal is to achieve an enjoyable experience – slow reading should never be stressful.

Slow reading is part of the slow movement – which advocates for slowing down many activities in daily life. Instead of fast food, the slow movement embraces ‘slow food’ – instead of mass-produced goods, the slow movement prefers carefully crafted items which take more time to create. The slow movement gained attention in the beginning of the 21st century as a reaction to our “always-on” society.

Slow reading isn’t always appropriate, but if you feel like you don’t enjoy reading as much as you once did, you might want to pick up a book and give it a try. Lots of things in life are a race, but reading doesn’t always have to be one of them.

Slow Reading on Wikipedia

Slow reading is the intentional reduction in the speed of reading, carried out to increase comprehension or pleasure. The concept appears to have originated in the study of philosophy and literature as a technique to more fully comprehend and appreciate a complex text. More recently, there has been increased interest in slow reading as result of the slow movement and its focus on decelerating the pace of modern life.

(Silvio B.) #2

Interesting. I have always struggled a bit with speed reading. The things I “speed read” just don’t seem to stick in my memory as well as when I read something in a “normal” speed.

I would add that not only speed, but also mental state is important. One could try reading at a slow tempo, only to be absorbed in racing thoughts, while staring at the stuff they’re reading… Mindfulness could be a key component, as monitoring focus levels helps in keeping in touch with the task at hand. How does one induce the state of ‘ready to read comfortably and slowly’?