In these 4 months , I exclusively used memory palaces and link methods in order to prepare for my exams as a med students , it was really hard to prioritize time for reviewing my memory palaces , to the point that I gave up on them and I started to make only stories that reminds of the phonetic transcription of words . the biggest mistake I did is trying to memorize verbatim , that just wasted my effort and time , plus it wouldn’t be possible to recall it in the middle of exam given a limited time and questions that require deep understanding . I wasn’t able to recall quickly and effectively , and I don’t know what to do to achieve that . And the fact that I preferred stories instead of memory palaces has downsides , I wasn’t able to organize my ideas and the informations were easily fleeting , I always needed a trigger to start recalling , I think it is because the stories I made were long and only contain verbatim not the actual meaning .
I am still thinking about this , whether I should give it another shot , but I am frustrated and afraid of making the same mistakes .
Have you ever experienced this ? What did you do to overcome it ?
-
Create atomic notes: This is often difficult because your mind wanders, as the brain is lazy. Therefore, set a time limit for certain topics. First, read a topic and then set aside about 3 minutes to list the key concepts. Afterward, create questions using the words “Why?”, “What?”, “How?”, etc. You don’t have to use them all, just those that seem logical. For example, “What is algebra?” Answer: Algebra is the branch of mathematics that studies quantities considered in the most general way possible. Within your atomic notes, after understanding the concept, you can try to give examples using analogies or metaphors. For example, in algebra, a person might try to represent numbers in a general way, using letters to do so. Thus, letters can represent any possible quantity.
-
After understanding the concepts, you can move on to memorizing them, as it will be much easier, and visual symbols will be easier to create and less frequent. 3. Use of geometry and visual connections: I use this as a way to avoid the generalization of the exclusive use of “mind maps,” but it does include them. What I mean is the use of geometric figures where you place a representative image in squares, triangles, etc., and also text that details the concept. For example, let’s say I want to remember the concept of algebra. I can use a tree from which letters hang, since in algebra, a, b, and x are commonly used. I can place them on the tree. This will remind me that algebra is a branch that studies quantities, since I understand that a and b are known quantities and x is an unknown quantity (x could be a treasure map, since I remember that a treasure is also in an unknown location). So, as you can understand, here the textual and visual are mixed. You can use, as appropriate, a pure mind map or geometry with images and atomic text.
Hi Zakarias,
I would go over the material…remember first review: within 24 hours, second review, 48 hours, etc.
Then I would hone in on those aspects which are vague or unclear
Memory wise I would compartmentalize and then summarize and then recheck your memory in regards to remembering things.
Remember to associate using vivid images, movement, color, etc.
Please…post here with more questions ![]()
Stefos
Hi. Use study techiques first. When you understand then use mnemonics. Ive heard that medicine is really hard and they use several techiques. Ret
Retition. Draws. Mnemonics etc.
The problem is : as the exams are approaching ,it would be impossible to review all the materials, and that latter can’t be easily summarized , for example that images I uploaded ,it is just a drop of water in the middle of the ocean ( I know , I exaggerated ![]()
) .Well , maybe I should look for each one and understand it, then memorize it , that will take time and I may neglect some courses .
I really appreciate your answer , and I will give it a try , I think this hesitation is just a delusion of my lazy brain
.
Its difficult. But you can divide the material. And create short sessions of study. Review. And memorization. And do what you can. Even if you fail.you Will learn something for the next exam.
Thanks for your response.
As courses gets accumulating ,the review becomes harder , that is why I skipped some of it . I don’t really see vivid images , they are blurry most of the time.The only moment I experience my imagination at its full potential is when I am trying to wake up , I think
it is because my brain tries to convince me to stay on the bed .
Furthermore, I don’t think that I will be able to recall quickly if I am focusing on color and vivid images , even Nelson Dellis said that , in the middle of competition you won’t have time for that .
Trading quality for speed depends on the situation we are in , but I don’t really know what works best for me .
What about you? I really wanna know your perspective about this.
You need to note the following:
Competitions are different from studying new material. To be fast requires practice using a technique or algorithm to become automatic, that is, from conscious to unconscious.
For speed, the parts of the images you see must be unique and not confusing, but they must be the same for certain things like numbers, cards, etc., as this makes the process faster.
For large study sessions, I recommend using YouTube videos. For spaced reviews, do it whenever you have free time. You can also divide your time between reviews and study time. Reviews can get boring, but you’ll get used to it. For example, I started drinking coffee without sugar. At first, it was uncomfortable, but after adapting, I can’t stand coffee with sugar… I’m sorry, but there are no shortcuts. You’ll have to get used to it, and in the future, you’ll be faster at memorizing and reasoning as you practice.
Hi,
So…this is quite extensive.
Going forward, you should review all information in a 24 hour, 48 hour and 72 hours, etc. period.
Please sit and go over each sub-topic quickly…then write out what you believe these to mean and write out the meaning or summarize it, then focus on particular words.
Please post here so everyone can help you ![]()
Stefos
You shouldnt rely completely in mnemonics. Thats only a part of the study. The last part. I think you should review more. And then use mnemonics. I suffered a lot about dont understanding this. Dont be nervious.try to relax and write short parágraphs. Maybe you fail this time but you Will learn a lot in little steps. Dont be afraid of the big of the material. Concéntrate in little pieces. Hope this be useful.
