Sharing my Variations of the memory palace as a medical student. You can experiment them too and share with me.

The first Idea or modification I applied to the method of loci initially came out of an attempt to accomplish effective memorization with the natural power of that method while breaking the limit number of the Loci available in my house and not having to use multiple journeys or Loci. Especially with the amount of information contained in one course in medicine, my home is just way too small.
I call it an “entry code”. The entry code is basically a weird and very creative opening scene that I imagine happening right before the door of my house before starting the journey and associating information to the loci.
It is supposed to serve as a trigger to access a specific set of information, using the same mind palace or the same journey. I view it as a specific password to access a specific set of information I have attached to the Loci of my main mind palace: My house. It may be like setting specific passwords to specific folders on a laptop. I virtually tested this modification thinking about birthdays. When I think about my 10th, 12th, and maybe 17th birthdays. Something different and unique triggers specific and a whole lot of memory about specifically each day. Although I was with almost the same persons on each of those days.
I have tried it with three courses already: Biochemistry, physiology, and semiology. Starting from the “entry code” ( the opening scene), I have never been confused yet at the same locus. It may be like the link method, but slightly different. I don’t even need to start from the entry code every time now, just thinking about the subject triggers the Loci and the information I am looking for.
I am very interested in any feedback after experimenting it. It may not work for everybody but It works for me.

4 Likes

For example, to save information about the respiratory system in the same palace, I first imagined my professor coughing heavily at my door and me saving his life. Then I placed all current information related to that chapter.

2 Likes

@MaelJiL, you have a solid concept there. Most of the discussion on the forum around that type of topic involves the reuse of memory structures of some sort. You can always search for that word and see what comes up if you want some background reading. Here’s one topic: Do You Reuse Journeys Multiple Times for Long-term Information?

In my study of the mnemonic systems, I believe there’s really only two types, the story and the peg system with lots of subtypes of each. The cue at the front door to your story with your entry code is what gives a story its initial strength for recall. Also, having the same characters or items appear throughout a series of story scenes is a great help also.

If it’s a peg system that uses multiple loci, I generally don’t have a problem reusing them especially since I “flavor” each locus in some special way. For the respiratory system I might have each place in my house be windy with things blowing back and forth on each inhale and exhale. The rule of the pegs, or traversal method, should be enough to get you around the house but a story can be the rule for going from place to place. I like the overlap of two systems. That way you can linger around a specific area and continue the story a little as a scene.

It’s a very good start from what I can tell. Good luck to you in your studies! Save all the professors you can! (I am one.)

4 Likes

I love it. What I used to do is use a “bridging” entity. Like if I wanted to reuse my house, for respiration, I would walk around my house along with “lungs” at every loci. It takes a bit more mental effort but it somewhat works.

I will say from experience that the less mentally exhaustive way of remembering things in general is simply going online and finding a 360 virtual tour of a mansion or something, go in there and plop imaginations as I go. If I had a VR machine it might even work better, but even on the computer monitor the 360 virtual tour is enough for me to get new palaces and plop definitions in there. It’s like a 2-for-1. You get a fresh new memory palace, and you memorize all your stuff at the same time.

1 Like

I’m also a medical student, I usually use the de Loci technique with a entire city, I usually place my entire knowledge there (medicine, languages, mathematics, etc.) Now I use artificial palaces.

2 Likes

Update: That method seems to work only when the images are not too strongly encoded at the location…So it is not best for long-term memorization.

Yes, I understand you would need an entire city. How do you come up with artificial palaces, do you imagine them from scratch with the Loci?

1 Like

Thank you @carljalal. Yes, I am now noticing It requires more mental effort, I will definitely memorize more palaces.

1 Like

Also @imgoingtowin how do you structure the knowledge you are memorizing in the palaces?

Thank you very much @thinkaboutthebible

2 Likes

Memory palaces and major system, I usually encode the knowledge first (eosinophilia - pink, a pink object, pink room) and I try to add the following order of characteristics (background - a coherent background, vision - a clear vision of the object, sensation - what does it convey (in the case of halitosis, a sensation of disgust) sound - a related sound like a gun in the case of acute something, kinesis - movement, expression etc.) and I put in the related “folder” in the case of eosinophilia it would be under Loefller syndrome in ascariasis but connected to ancylostoma, necator and strongyloides. In the case of numbers I use the major system (25 mm/8 hg pulmonary pressures nile and Fire.

How do you put it under the same folder? Do you add it like a new location to where you have already placed the related information?

Yes, indeed, I do this, I have subdivisions in my city [So in semiology I have abdome, thorax in different buildings when I enter I have more subdivisions [order of the examination, signs etc. in different parts of a theather, related information close to them ] and I walk through them so I can have full access to the stored information, but when they’re consolidated you won’t need to, you will start to have flashs when thinking about it, but you can always come back to reinforce your memory.

1 Like

Very awesome, I will try it. I vues you did not have to wallah through your entire city in real life ? or did you? Did you use picture or just imagination?

1 Like

It’s an imaginary city built by me. Using constructions of real life or that I myself pictured that I conjoined with streets and public squares. [A real one would a palace in my city, a imaginary would be some cathedrals that I use to store the cardiac examination (ictus cordis, location, extension, etc.)

1 Like

I understand, that is very well adapted for medicine. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like