Reusing Journeys? Deleting items?

I’m using a fixed 20-item set of locations to store various lists of things: errands I need to do, shopping lists, packing lists, etc. I’ve yet to need more than the first 9, but I’m not quite sure what to do when I’ve checked something off of my list. Do I replace the item with the next new item? Anyone have experience with a fixed set of loci that they reuse?

So far, reusing the same list for different things hasn’t been much of a problem; I start it with an image and as long as that leads me to the right starting item, I’m OK. (Errands I’m carrying a shopping bag on my way to location 1, Packing lists I’m carrying a suitcase)

I ran into this problem slightly when memorizing cards. When I practiced one deck immediately after the first, I occasionally remembered the cards for the first deck instead of the second. (Mostly when the images for the second list were too weak to be remembered, anyway.)

If you’re worried, I’d say create two or three short journeys – in two different houses, say, or a different wing of a palace. Without review, the images you remembered for the first list will fade. If you have problems with images not fading, then you could just use the second list until you feel that the first journey will be available again. Even after the probably 50+ times I memorized a deck of cards, I can only remember one or two images along my route. Without review, most images simply fade between a couple of minutes to several days.

At least, that’s my experience.

Did you ever need to change a single card? Only a few items on my list are useless at this point so it seems like a waste to start the list all over…but then it seems like a waste to keep remembering a few useless items!

Why do you have useless items in your images for cards? Do you mean you have duplicates? I always hate changing images mid-go. But, if they don’t work then they don’t work, right?

No, I mean that I’m using journeys to store things like errands I need to do, for example:

1. Set up bank account
  2. Renew subway pass
  3. Get my scarf out of storage
  4. Repair my jacket
  5. Get paper towels
  6. Repair my sheets
  7. Buy oregano
  8. Buy dish soap

But I did #1, #3 and #5. I still need to remember the other 5 items, but now the list either has holes in it or useless items, and as I stop caring about those 3 items, the rest of the list starts becoming very hard to recall.

Oh, I see what you mean. That’s odd. Do you always run through the list from items 1 to 8? Or, do you always go in a linear fashion (1 to 8 or 8 to 1?) Your mind may be using those useless items for context, so it will have a hard time remembering the nearby images. For example, when When I was young, if somebody asked me “what does ambidextrous mean?” I wouldn’t have been able to tell them. However, if somebody asked the same question right after stating that they were left-handed, I would have been able to remember. The word “left-handed” acted as a clue.

Try running through your journey at different intervals. For example, go through and visualize every 2 images. Then every 3, and so on. Then try starting from the middle and going through a different path. Try starting at random points. In the worst case scenario, you could keep the useless images their places or replace them with different loci.

I’ve only ever had to replace single images when I had problems remembering what they stood for, which was generally for language. I reviewed those loci in many different directions and intervals, so it wasn’t an issue. And they were permanent, not temporary.

The journey part is very clear (I use spaced repetition software (Anki) to drill loci and such). I can jump to any number within the journey without a problem…

But isn’t the main strength of the journey/locus system is in creating ordered lists? That way you know when something is missing and where to look for it. When I decide that today items 3, 5 and 8 are all useless and I don’t need to pay attention to them, I start doubting whether any of the items are particularly useful, and they start fading and getting jumbled (the items, not the locations).

I wonder if the journey system is not particularly well suited for temporary, changing lists like errands. I’m using it with great success to memorize a huge amount of data (190 classical music composers and their birth/death dates), but perhaps there’s a better system for keeping track of the week’s errands and such?

Yeah, for this kind of list I would use chaining

Some people say imagine burning or cutting up an item they want to get rid of. On a list of tasks though I would picture something very positive to it like it flying away because it has been accomplished. If you have a short set of pegs for each day of the week you can be a little more exact about placement.

I think I’m going to make a peg for every day of the year, and then as each day passes clean it out so it’s sparkling fresh when I come back to it in 365 days. This will also allow me to plan events far in the future

Don’t forget leap years. :slight_smile: Bruno Furst and, I think, Harry Lorayne offered elaborate encoding mnemonics for dates and even hours and minutes.

Thank you for the leap day reminder! I think I’m just going to make an image for each day, and chain the to-do list. For times I’ll just use the major system and I’ll remember AM and PM with natural memory and simple logic. I’m sure I’ll never schedule an appointment for 3:30 AM, and if I did, I’m sure I would remember :stuck_out_tongue: