Remembering tree diagrams

Hello everyone,
I am struggling with remembering stuff that looks like a tree… One thing is divided into 2 others, those 2 are then divided into many more and so on.
I don’t find difficult to remember the structure of the “tree” itself, but the problem is, that this little branches are composed of just one 2-4 words definition in language I am not familiar with… So I often forget lot of “branches” and I cannot remember what those branches were.
Exactly it is remembering the system of arteries, veins and nerves of the human body.
I am mainly using the technique of finding some sentence which is composed of words that are tightly connected with the actual nerves… But this technique is often worthless because those terms are composed of several words, ending up with the whole text and not just a sentence to remember.
Thank you very much for any advice.

Hi,do you forget the little branches during a test or exam? It is possible that when you cannot remember these, it is because under stress you switch off your dominant hemisphere. Judging from your comment it seems you have a left dominant hemisphere therefor forgetting details.Make your tree less dense and do extra trees if you need to. Add pictures in instead of words. Remember “a picture is worth a thousand words” Michelle- Educational Kinesiologist Practitioner

I just want to point out that one cannot switch off either hemisphere. As well, individuals do not have a ‘dominant hemisphere’. The whole brain works all the time, and we use 100% of our brain.

@Mayarra answered a similar question in

Trees arise from nested containers. When you have a structure in which containers can hold both objects and other containers you have a tree. I think this is called the Composite Pattern in computer science.

Your town holds houses, the houses contain rooms, the rooms contain cabinets with boxes in them etc… This can be diagrammed as a tree.

For memory work this is easily implemented as memory palaces within palaces. I imagine a building as a root. In that are rooms with dressers, cabinets and doors to other rooms each of which might hold more mini palaces.

I do understand your point… But what am I supposed to do, if I knew, that there was a room, in the room there was a cabinet and I would know what was in the cabinet, but I wont’t know what’s the name of it?

lets claim I will understand the structure I will have this “map” in my mind (like a town or whatever) but I don’t know names of its objects?

I would know, there is a bed eg. in my room… but how do I know that this bed stands for “plexus intraparotideus” ?

I love them too, but there is the problem the words which this “map” consists of are way too strange for me to learn… Like… I can create a short story and sometimes it is really helpful, but most of the time I am like ‘I know it is supposed to start with the letter of S, but it is worthless for me, since the for it was “syncytiotrophoblast”, which I cannot remember’… So… I can remember neither structure nor elements of the map

I do not know the words you are using , but could it be treated like another language?
In other words maybe approach it the way others have learned vocabulary for a new language.

Create an image that would give you the word and the meaning, then place it in the loci that was suggested by @zvuv.

i.e to fit in spanish is caber. I imagine a yellow cab, with a bear trying to fit into the driver seat.
That way I have the syllables, the sound, and the meaning in one image.

While that is simplistic the point should be clear.

Can you break down the words you want to memorise in a similar way?

Syncytiotrophoblast (from the Greek ‘syn’- “together”; ‘cytio’- “of cells”; ‘tropho’- “nutrition”; ‘blast’- “bud”) is the epithelial covering of the highly vascular embryonic placental villi, which invades the wall of the uterus to establish nutrient circulation between the embryo and the mother.

1 Like

Hi @Xire,

Here’s my two cents.
The problem is not with ur memory ,but in ur style of learning.

Since remembering the tree is not a problem,that means u can remember ur loci.
So,I dont think nested structures are your main problem.

This means, u are not correctly encoding the words that are linked to the branches and therefore, u are forgetting the branches as well.

U would know the bed stands for “plexus intraparotideus”,when u actually convert it into a visual image.

For me,an image of "plexus intraparotideus” would be just a
PARROT in a CAGE made of PLEXIGLASS.
(U can skip the plexiglass part )

The same with “SyncytioTrophoblast”.
A Trophoblast is placental tissue having 2 components-
1.SyncytioTrophoblast
2. Cytotrophoblast

I’d convert the word “Syncytio” into SinCity( eg.SinCity billboard)and placed it on ur loci.
sin city vegas

@hershchoc is right in his assessment but don’t put too much action when u encode a word.
Anatomy is too vast a subject.U would want to keep it as minimal as possible.

Also,make notes regularly ,use flashcards & have a good revision schedule.

Hope this helps…cheers.

1 Like