Recall intervals

Mabuhay! I first learned the memory image-link system 30 years ago when I read Harry Lorraine and Jerry Lucas’s memory book. It was very good and effective but then as a student, it took a long time to encode images, so I used rote memorization to survive. Some of my classmates at that time used mnemonics but only used first letters to help in recall. (Though when a letter was forgotten, they got stuck). With new systems today, how often do you need to recall to make the jump from short term to long term memory?

1 Like

how often do you need to recall to make the jump from short term to long term memory?

I think,it varies depending on the subject/images. Some images are very easy to encode in the memory,some take a little bit more time and effort.

After the initial encoding of an image, I use “Spaced Reptition” technique to store the encoded stuff in long term memory. Everything, that you need to store in long term memory,should be practised with Spaced Repition tehnique of some sort.

Btw,why do your posts have horizontal scrollbar. It is difficult to read the texts inside the scrollbar…

2 Likes

Thanks, sorry I don’t know I only use my Android phone to post on the forum. So, all of your memory palace are on hard copy?

Hi,

A person should recall the information within 24 - 48 hours.

This is what I was taught in school.

Stefos

Thank you for your response, I can still remember up to a week or two. Then maybe I need to recall again. I have a question though those who joined card memory games, do you still remember what you memorized up to now?

I always review everything I learn with the schedule I explained in this post:

You can also find information about spaced repetition on the art of memory wiki:
https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Spaced_Repetition_and_Recall

4 Likes

I have images of most of my memory palaces. I have stored the images of Memory Palaces in a spaced repetition software known as “Anki” so I can review them time to time…

1 Like

The horizontal scrolling was happening because there are spaces at the beginning of the lines. If you indent text at the beginning of the line, it formats it like code (syntax highlighting, monospace font, and no line-wrapping).

To avoid that, just be sure that there aren’t any leading spaces at the beginning of lines. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok thanks for all your help I will try accustom myself to the spaced repetition technique. Have a nice day all!

3 Likes

If you enjoy physical flashcards you could look into making a Leitner Box. It’s basically a simple to administrate SRS system for physical flashcards. Of course, it’s a lot more convenient to use Anki, so it may not be worth it to you, but it is an option depending on how much you lean towards physical over digital.

1 Like

Sorry what is SRS?

Oh! Spaced Repetition System! I get it! And they say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks!

1 Like

I may be showing my ignorance of Anki here, but “spaced repetition” is simply a fancier way of saying, “Review your information regularly.”

I think what sometimes gets confusing is that a spaced-repetition schedule may lead someone to believe that those are the only times they should walk their memory palaces and review their stored information. (And that may be what Anki intends, I don’t know. But I kind of doubt it.)

My personal belief is that the more you review your information, the better. My guess is that those who are committed to a formal spaced-repetition schedule are treating that as a minimum for effective review, not a maximum.

Bob

1 Like

You are right. Spaced Repetition is just “reviewing
one’s information regularly”. However, it is claimed that SRS algorithms that softwares like Anki or SuperMemo use have been optimized for best reviewing schedules… Besides, one can use different settings in these tools to suit one’s purpose.

But most of all,these softwares present and schedule the learning materials automatically. So,one doesn’t have to manage things on one’s own. I like this.

I have around six thousands different questions, codes,formulas, ideas,articles in Anki database on various topics. It is virtually impossible for me to organize,manage and schedule them manually! Anki is a god-sent tool!!!

3 Likes

Wow: 6,000 items!

I don’t think I know 6,000 things, period. :wink:

Bob

1 Like

I don’t think I know 6,000 things, period

I think,you know. You just don’t know that you know :wink: Your brain already has thousands of data in it. You are just not measuring it. For example, you already know 50000+ English vocabulary as you are a native English speaker!

And I as a non-native English speaker/listener/reader need to have at least 2000 to 10000 English words to understand articles written in English! That is 2000+ words/cards for English words alone for practicing in Anki!!! I have seen people memorizing/reviewing 6000+ words of a foreign language with Anki.

A simple one page article could have five different cards/points/questions! There are hundreds of different functions/methods of a small programming language.

And there are 1200 different pegs of my ‘Alphabet PAO system’ alone that I have ankified. And 300 Anki cards for “Dominic Number System”! And 30+ different memory palaces. You see 1500+ cards in Anki only for memory related pegs!!!

If you think about it,five thousands or six thousands is not too much data! :wink:

There are members in Anki forum who have 10,000+ cards in anki!

In the link below,there is an Anki Deck that has 4000 cards for English words. The Deck is shared freely by Anki members! This is just an essential words card Deck in Anki. It alone has 4000 cards for one language! People need to have more words reviewed in Anki for a foreign language. Think about the polyglots that know about 5 different languages!!! :confused:

4000 Essential English Words in Anki

Here is an Anki Deck shared for Jeopardy game! This deck has around 200,000+ Jeopardy! Questions/Answers! People are crazy,right!!! But I read about a ‘Jeopardy!’ champion who had Anki deck with huge number of cards!

200,000+ Jeopardy! Questions/Answers

I hope,now you realize 6000+ is not as impossible as it seems! :smile:

1 Like

I have experimented with this and attempted recalling something 100 times in a row as tedious as it is, It ended up losing to my spaced repetition schedule at ‘2’ repetitions. In terms of accuracy, flexibility and speed. After witnessing this result myself I wasn’t really sure on ‘reviewing often’ anymore. I found reviewing often even made information that I was not currently reviewing less stable, but I do end up learning a lot of information a day, something like 500+ anki cards worth of information a day.

On the note of anki, I don’t really like it since you can’t set precise intervals, it modifies your intervals slightly based on how you are doing which is distracting if you already know your accurate cycles. It is definitely on the right track I think though.

Well, I didn’t actually mean to suggest you should review multiple times in a row! But I’ve had success reviewing all of my palaces completely each week. I usually run through parts or all of several while waking up in bed in the morning.

Granted, I have nowhere near the number of palaces some folks here have developed. Fewer than a dozen at this point. And currently the largest one has only 233 locations. Most of the others are in the 50-100 item range. So frequent review is perfectly manageable.

Bob

1 Like

SRS (spaced repetition) isn’t just reviewing regularly, but at some optimized level where the time between reviews occurs just as you’re forgetting the material. In this way, you’re not ‘wasting’ time reviewing when you don’t need to. This typically means that the time between reviews increases depending upon who the person is.

I think the best way to find the optimum review schedule is by personal experimentation with different kinds of material. But that is time consuming and somewhat of an organizational challenge, hence most people rely on software to determine the interval between reviews which I think is mostly based on guesswork.

3 Likes

I personally use two different Decks in Anki. One is for Short term and another is for Long term. I start reviewing my Cards from “Short Term” deck. And after I am confident that I can recall the material well enough,I transfer the cards in the “Long Term” deck. I also have set multiple ‘schedule’ that I use for different types of cards/subjects.

I think,one can pretty accurately guess which cards should be reviewed frequently and which not,which need to be put in long term review schedule.

There are so many options in Anki that I feel,most users of Anki don’t actually explore and set them optimally!! Also,there is “Custom Study Session” that can be used to review any material at any time…