Rat learning, chess grandmasters, memorising and rupert sheldrake

warning: possible pseudoscience content, but maybe interesting

Experiments show, that when you put a rat in a maze he (or she) will try to find the way to the exit (or cheese). The next time he is put in the same maze, he will find the exit faster. No suprise here.
But things get weird when the same experiment is repeated on the other side of the planet; these rats learn faster than the original rats.

Rupert Sheldrake explains this experiment with a theory called morphic fields; information that is being stored outside human/animal brains. According to this theory brains can not only store information but also tap into the information contained in morphic fields (like a computer connected to the internet).

This theory may explain why chess grandmasters keep getting better every generation; the advancement of chess engines (computer chess) may also be an explanation of course.

Could it be that a memory prodigy like Alex Mullen is tapping into the morphic fields created by the likes of Dominique o’Brien and Ben Pridmore and therefore having somewhat of a flying start?

Well, when my mentor said he reach certain height in memory after certain training time, I always try to reckt it and exceed him at the “time” XD (i stop using this desire now, more so in setting impossible goals for myself now ). It is more like desire to me, who desires the most, and those that desires usually have set standards, and those set standards usually have the best as them. But most importantly, it is the generosity and kinship that those top player has in willing to share how they reach that height. Hence that is how each generation gets better and better as they dont have to experiment as much, but hey, I could be wrong and information from ones thinking (beta waves or other stuff) can be picked up unconsciously.

But your mouse case is quiet interesting, where is this article? Mayby its got to do with environment (food, pollution of air), and here is an interesting fact, anti oxident is bad for rats :wink:

You absolutely have a point. I remember ben pridmore expressing similar ideas in an inteview in which he compared the 30 seconds barrier for a deck cards was like the 4 minute mile in running, as soon as the barrier was broken multiple people surpassed these accomplishments because they new it was possible

2 Likes

yep, most people just go I cant do it, you cant do it, it is impossible, then when someone broke it, their either go it is just luck, fluke, they are special; OR: they burn and fly :wink: which is only seen in younger generations whom are more acceptant to the truth.

but hey, based on my belief you are right upon the information field! Because technology aided it :smiley:

P.S this is my hypothesis, no experiment has been done XD