Problems memorizing very large numbers

Some months ago, I decided to memorize 6 digits of pi per day to reach 1000. Now, I’m still doing this, and I know more than 920. I realized it’s very easy to memorize this number of digits per day, so I think I can increase my goal. I want to memorize more than 16000 digits, memorizing 14 digits per locus and 210 per day, but 1000 at weekends/vacations; revising on the day after, 7 days later, 28 days later the last revision, and 147 days after the last revision. I would like to know the trouble memorizing veeery large numbers: that kind of surprises that people usually don’t tell, but when you do it in real world, they suddenly appear. In summary, are there some tip or advice for memorizing very large numbers with memory palaces? Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

someone?

I’m not sure. There are at least a few people here who have memorized numbers that large, but I’m not sure how often they stop by. It sounds like you’re on the right track so far.

16,000 is a lot. Depending on where you are in the world, you might be able to achieve a national record. :slight_smile:

Here’s a record list:

https://www.pi-world-ranking-list.com/?page=lists&category=pi

1 Like

I memorized only 1000 digits of pi but not by number system like major , pao and so on…
I memorized this by rote memorization and something like by singing.

When I was in 9 th class I memorized 500 digits and in 10th class I memorized another 500 digits and stopped the pi memorizing.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comment and the record list. What you said is very encouraging.
I noticed the first place knows 30 digits more than the second one, I wonder why since 2015 the second place didn’t memorize at least 31 more digits. I also wonder if there is any limit in human capability: if we aren’t able to memorize a certain amount of digits. Do you know anything about it?

1 Like

That’s very cool. Do you found out any problem when you were memorizing pi?

Do you have a number peg list?
Why 14 digits per loci?

With only an recently memorized peg list, I was able to memorize 80 digits, from random numbers. Only ten minutes memorizing with 15 loci reused for another random numbers. So, I bet it’d be possible for you memorize with a PA, 4 pert loci, 50 loci are 250 digits. You could memorize 500 digits per day. For the nature of PA and PAO, these two methods are very useful for not forgetting and not mix up memories.

I don’t know how big is your house, or how you choose you loci, but I bet that in typical two stories house you can have 150-200 loci without crowding that could cause confusion.

Regarding revisions, I don’t advise to review all digits all the time. Once you review perfectly 50 loci (250 digits with 00-99 PA list) 3-5 times it’s enough. Just review the next. For instance, you can review the 500 digits of the first day, two days later and follow on in that trait with the rest. Day 1, memorize 500 digits, review 3-5 times. Day 2, memorize 500 more and review 3 to 5 times. Day 3 review Day 1 digits, today memorized 500 more digits and review them enough. Day 4, review Day 1 and Day 2 digits in tandem, today memorize 500 more digits and review. Day 5 review Day 1,2 and 3 and memorize 500 more. Up till you reach your goal.

Anxiety and insecurity could cause you to think you will forget or that you already don’t remember. Not quite. Don’t listen to that reaction. Stick to your plan. All I want to say is that reviewing every memorized digits everyday is overkill. Indeed, the way I told you to review still is. You could stop reviewing the first week of memorized digits and comeback to them the day you reach the end. If you’re using pegs, you will surely recall them.

Maybe one day I try this.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why there was only a 30 digit difference. Maybe a digit was accidentally missed?

The unofficial world record is over 100,000 digits.

If you haven’t seen it yet, you might be interested in this video: First video: Remembering and locating a chain of 20 decimals of Pi, within the first 25,000 and reciting the next 100 decimal. Second video: Making a triple sudoku, number + color, blindfolded

1 Like

First of all, thank you for the comment. It seems you spent much time writing it; that’s very kind.

Yes, I have a peg list. I usually use more than one person/object/action for each number, so it’s not a standard peg list.

I’m memorizing 14 digits per locus because it’s the biggest structured way that I discovered to memorize numbers. By the way, it’s variation of PAO that I created: a person acts over an object, which acts over the person back with another object, and, finally, I do an action over the scene with another object. I tested it, and it worked: I finished the 1000 digits, and I managed to memorize another 1000 digits in just one day, then I know 2013 decimal digits now.

I’m trying to create an easy schedule. I don’t want to spend much time on it every day because I have many school stuff, and there will be even more next year.

About my house: I didn’t use it all, and I already have enough for my goal. I’m not going to revise all digits all the time. The schedule that I told in the first post is about what I memorized each day: what I memorized today, I’ll revise tomorrow, 7 days later, 28 days after the previous review, and 140 days after the previous review. Do you think it needs adjustments?

1 Like

I read a bit about this unofficial record. Actually, it’s one of the reasons that I made this post: why didn’t anyone break this record since 2006? It makes me wonder if it’s really only about dedication, in other words, if anyone only needs time to memorize this amount of digits, or if the limit of the human memory is about 70,000-100,000 digits. If the second case is the right one, so there must be some problems when memorizing many digits; that’s what I want to avoid and find out with this post.

I’m delighted with the first video. How can he do that? I understand how someone can say the number given the position, but I don’t know how someone can say the position given some numbers.

1 Like

I’m guessing that he recognizes the images in that sequence. You could leave a comment in that thread and ask him.

There’s also the Pi Matrix Challenge:

There’s also a pi memorization game on this site to practice recalling digits by location.

1 Like

No, it’s fine. Your reviewing seems pretty good. That means that you already have confidence on your associative ability. If you’re memorizing a 1000 digits a day, you’re on track.

1 Like

Nothing , I didn’t face any difficulty in memorizing pi .

Maybe because I did spaced repetition many times , sometimes in dreams.

1 Like

I think I’ll ask him.

This challenge is amazing. Unfortunately, I don’t know the digits by location. Maybe, someday I’ll memorize the positions of my memory palace.

1 Like

I hope so. To be honest, I don’t think I’m that confident. Actually, I’m very worried if I’ll be able to sustain this rate of 1000 digits per day, and I didn’t use another memory palace, so I’ll find out how it is in practice.

I’ll have 25 days of vacation starting next week, so I’m thinking about memorizing 1000 digits per day. In the first/last time that I did that, I spent 3 hours and 8 minutes: 2 hours memorizing and 1 hour reviewing. I don’t know if it’s too many digits in a very little period of time.

Wow, did you do repetition in dreams? It seems awesome. Do you know anything written about that? Could you talk a bit about it? I’m very interested.

How can I get a record credited and put there if i´m from Argentina? even from south america I see very few in the list and there must be a a lot of people able to do much more.

1 Like

I guess you’ll find your answer here, among the rules:
https://www.pi-world-ranking-list.com/?page=rules

There is also a list by national ranking:
https://www.pi-world-ranking-list.com/?page=lists&category=pi&asc=true&sort=country
As you can see, the Argentina is the first one: 60 digits.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I think i´ll try to register 3000 or something some day. Reading the rules I don´t know if understand correctly how and where the demonstration is done like, physically: two unrelated witnesses must be present, anywhere? the rules say I should send a photo, but don´t we need to film the whole process or something?.

1 Like

You’re welcome. Good luck! Knowing 3000 you break the record in South America (that’s 1684); I’m sure you can do that :slightly_smiling_face:

Unfortunately, I don’t know the answers for your questions. If I were trying to break the record, I would send an email to them asking these things.

2 Likes