I am preparing a difficult conversation and I would like to use memory techniques for my preparations and during the conversation. The following four steps are a good start I think.
- Make images for the abstract words. (law, intimidation, dismissal, job)
- Prepare two memory palaces
- Fill the first memory palace with the preparations I made (important points etc.)
- Keep the second palace empty for use during the conversation.
In my case the conversation is one that is very formal. But I think this set up would be the same if you were preparing for other conversations. Any comments, additions are very welcome.
Hi there. I think it should work fine in theory. And it will.
What will work not so good is acronims. Let me explaine. One day i was in need to memorysie some “smart words” for my speach. And i decided to make acronim from thouse terms. So … its not so easy to remember them fast when you say something.
Anyway you strategy is right. Its working. Memory palace is better than some acronyms as for me.
It was working in ancient greece, it was working 8 years ago and it will always work. Just be sure to check your memory palace before conversation.
It would be a nice if you would left some comment about your experience after your “tough conversation”. Good luck.
Train in a hostile environment. I memorised a speech I had to give but I knew in real life there would be distractions in the room, unlike practising at home. So I turned my radio up loud with some random people talking and practised like that.
There was a memory champion I heard on a podcast who hired a Navy SEAL to help him train for a competition. The SEAL got the guy to buy some plastic playing cards, a snorkel and mask, and train under water! He said it really helped him.
So my suggestion is to anticipate distraction and also their possible objections in advance.
Thanks very much. The distractions are indeed different from regular practice. It is much harder to keep track of your memory palace because you are multitasking.
Today I did a practice session. I was invited to the future school of my little daughter. We got al lot of information and I tried to remember as much as possible. I translated the informatation to images and put them in a palace. But at the same time I was walking through the school and I was talking to the head of the school. A totally different experience.
But I did achieve some succes. Although I did lose more information than during a normal practice session.