Pi with a chessboard

Here is an experiment for memorizing pi using a chessboard.
http://is.gd/pichess

I placed 6 digits in each square starting from the bottom left (labeled 1, also known as A1 in algebraic notation), for a total of 384 (6*64). When you hover over a square it reveals the digits.
I figured this might be of interest to some of you.

One potential benefit of using a chessboard for those who are familiar with chess is that you could use it to traverse the board in your mind (from A1 to H8) without needing an extra association for each square.
Those who are not as familiar with a chessboard could just associate the digits to the corresponding square’s number or notation. Of course using the latter would make the chessboard somewhat redundant but at least it’s cool to have a visual representation with the hover effect to test yourself.

Feel free to modify the code if you want, for example, a different number of digits per square, or if you want to memorize something else entirely.

If you’re not quite sure how to modify it then let me know and I’ll do it for you.

Let me know what you think,

Jon

Actually some people do use a grid for certain types of memorization using numbers and letters on the axes. Really cool chess application.