Photoreading Mental photography

As anyone tried photoreading or mental photography?
I would love to hear your reviews since most of them on the internet are biased
Thanks in advance

Are you referring to something like zoxpro? Check out these links:

thanks i appreciate it
but how about photo reading?
Also i will give mental photography a shot and i will update post daily´
because im lazy i will use this thread

I don’t know what “photo reading” is, but I just went to photoreading.com where it says:

That's why so many people just like you are using the Ferrari-style of reading called PhotoReading. It blasts printed materials to the brain at phenomenal rates, a page a second. You actually "mentally photograph" the page at 25,000 words a minute.

I’m really skeptical about these kinds of claims. It implies that one is going to read 25,000 words per minute, which is impossible.

At the top of the page, it says:

PhotoReading: Learn and absorb reading material 3 times faster than you can now

So is it three times faster than my current speed or 25,000 words per minute?

NASA’s research also says that it doesn’t work:

PhotoReading is a technique developed by Paul Scheele that claims to increase reading rate to 25,000 words per minute (Scheele, 1993). Users of the technique claim to be able to PhotoRead an entire book within 10 minutes, and during that process develop a relatively complete or sufficient understanding of its contents (see Appendix B for copies of recent advertisements). PhotoReading is not speed-reading, but rather claims to rely on an unconscious component of the mind.

[…]

Conclusions
These results clearly indicate that there is no benefit to using the PhotoReading technique. The extremely rapid reading rates claimed by PhotoReaders were not observed; indeed the reading rates were generally comparable to those for normal reading. Moreover, the PhotoReading expert showed an increase in reading time with the PhotoReading technique in comparison to normal reading. This increase in reading time was accompanied by a decrease in text comprehension. These results were found for two standardized tests of text comprehension and for three matched sets of expository texts. The decrease in reading comprehension as result of using the PhotoReading technique also seemed to depend on question type. Comprehension accuracy decreased 30 percent on the conceptual questions as a result of using the PhotoReading technique, compared to a decrease of 10 percent on the text-based questions. This result makes sense in light of current theories of reading comprehension (i.e., Kintsch, 1998). Accordingly, comprehension on the text-based level requires less effort than does a deeper understanding reflected by performance on the conceptual questions (e.g., McNamara, Kintsch, Songer, & Kintsch, 1996; McNamam & Kintsch, 1996).

I appreciate your answer very much, however i still feel the need to try it.
Do you know any techniques that could greatly improve your memory
(besides memory palace/journey or other association techniques)
the only reason why I don’t want those is because they are quite slow and exhausting

Also i found this method called military photographic memory training at

NO.

About 15 years ago, I begged my mom to buy me the photoreading program. Eventually, she did. It is a series of steps of how to get the most out of books in a short period of time. One of those is looking “through” or “beyond” a book so that there is a “blip page” in the center, like when you stare at the wall and point your index fingers at each other before your eyes to you get this floating “finger piece/dot.”

That step does nothing. How do I know? Because the results that are achieved from the “photoreading full mind system” or whatever it is called can be fully explained by the other steps. What are these other steps?

One is to “determine exactly what you want from a given book” Then, look through the table of contents for a chapter heading that looks like it might have that kind of information. Flip to that chapter and read the first sentence of every paragraph until you find one that looks like it’s talking about what you want to learn. Then “super read” that page, which means look at the lines really quick until you find sentences that look like they’re talking about what you need. Then “Dip” in, (This is how you use the twin skills Super Read and Dip) and read those sentences. Now you’re done with the book! Well, wait – there is one more step. You have to “photoread” the book so that the whole book is absorbed by your mind. Look past the book and let the words blur. Get that “blip page” in the center, and flip through the pages at 1 page per second. Focus on the space BETWEEN the words - this helps your unconscious mind to comprehend the entire book. It also helps to photoread the book upside down and/or backwards.

A dictionary with two columns of words per page is suggested to be photoread. Scheele says, " after you photoread the book, think of ANY word and its definition, and imagine where the word is on the page that it appears. Because you are using your whole mind, which is so much more creative than the approaches of typical conscious thought that we are used to, the position of the word may appear as a mirror image left or right, or mirrored top to bottom, or in the same spot on the opposite page, and if this happens, rest assured that the photoreading has been successful.

So, if the word of choice appears in one of these areas, then the photoreading has been a success:

l l l
l x x l x x l
l l l
l l l
l x x l x x l
l l l

Josh pointed out the research above. Good of him to do, and I’ll tell you that I was 11 when I realized that this was a scam and it made me very, very, very sad because I had put an incredible amount of hope and effort into making this work. Was I just the most astute child out there? Nah, not really. I think I was just unbiased! And I admitted (in dismay) that the photoreading step added nothing when I realized that that was the case.

Sorry.

Please don’t take this as effrontery, but I believe that the reason you still want to try photoreading after Josh’s post (and after this post as well) can be summed up by your own words here:

“The only reason why I don’t want those is because they are quite slow and exhausting.”

Think of any skill you’ve ever seen anyone have where you thought “Wow, that’s impressive – I really wish that I could do that too!” and ask the question, “did they learn this overnight?” Or ask the question, “Did they pay someone to ship this to their door?” Sadly, the development of sound skill is always a chore.

I wanted to photoread, too.

Sorry :’(

1 Like

^^^^^

That diagram I made above didn’t work. But basically, anywhere the word appears fits the bill.

Thanks man i really like that you took the time to write all that,i know like 99% that it is a scam but since i wont be paying for it i figure why not, also steve pavlina has a review on it and i considered him a legit source

Also what about the other one

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I didn’t realize you won’t be paying for it. Well in that case, there could be some useful ideas in there as far as skipping to the chapters you need, etc., Moving your eyes across the page quickly…speed reading stuff. You just won’t be able to photoread.

What is the “other one?”

I don’t think 25,000 words per minute works for anyone, except if it’s pure skimming.

Maybe 5,000 words per minute is possible, with 60% comprehension. We know from anecdotal evidence that Kim Peek went for higher than that.

But also depends heavily on the text, if it’s familiar or not, if it’s difficult or not.

I mean if you’re going for more than 1,000 words per minute, it’s almost impossible to comprehend complex problems&solutions of special relativity or quantum mechanics texts or any heavy textbook with formulas and equations,

But simple novels are more of a ‘light’ reading, so probably 6000 per minute (=100 words per second) could be comfortable, though with very minimal comprehension of all details and factoids . But the central gist could be comprehended and outlied.

I am sure many lawyers or teachers use speed-reading a lot, due to the amount of paperwork they have to deal with. But in science and research, accuracy and clarity is more important than speed, as Anthony said.
Many famous scientists like Steven Hawking are probably slow-readers, but that doesn’t prevent them from being a genius.

Nodas

1 Like

Hi, there’s any book that helps improvement memory, something like brain management claims (bring sunconscious memory from books , vídeos, real life, etc)???

If you’re looking for books on memory improvement, see this PDF and the memory improvement books FAQ.

For memory improvement ideas that don’t involve techniques, you might be interested in the natural ways to improve memory page, which also has resources on sleep and memory, exercise and memory, stress and memory, and food and memory. Exercise and sleep are two areas that seem especially promising.

1 Like