People with mind-blindness (aphantasia) not so easily spooked - ScienceDaily Article

Just came across this interesting Science Daily article about people with aphantasia (mind-blindness) not being easy to spook with scary stories.

I ain’t afraid of no ghosts: People with mind-blindness not so easily spooked: The link between mental imagery and emotions may be closer than we thought – ScienceDaily

2 Likes

Damn deficient science journalism…

Just to clarify here for what is worth. Aphantasia, “the inability to see with the mind’s eye” has nothing to do with “mind-blindness”, which, according to Wikipedia, “is a concept of a cognitive divergence where an individual is unable to attribute mental states to others”, i. e., a totally unrelated condition.

The study has nothing to do with mind-blindness, but it seems that newsroom.unsw.edu.au (the source from the shared article here) has problems distinguishing them (it also has another article, wrongly titled " Being ‘mind-blind’ may make remembering, dreaming and imagining harder, study finds", talking about aphantasia").

No comment section there, so… :roll_eyes:

The original study:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2021.0267

1 Like

Good catch.

Didn’t realize that mind-blindness is a formal term. I supposed they were just offering a made-up wording to simplify the idea for people who didn’t know what aphantasia is.

Would you say that mind-blindness is the same as lacking theory of mind?

1 Like

I hope you didn’t found my comment harsh on you, I’m sure not a lot of people know that, but I feel very disappointed with journalism in general (damn profit-driven sensationalism) so maybe I extrapolated here. Actually, I didn’t knew that myself, but the term seemed very awkward and I’ve never heard of it in the context of aphantasia, so I did a quick google search.

Yes, it seems that way, but I’m no expert at all. By the way, the original study is very interesting!
My brother has full aphantasia, but he seems to enjoy a lot reading fiction, so, I don’t know. Good food for thought. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like