New VR Games useful for memory palaces?

i do not have VR but use world of warcraft from memory palaces. Places I visited in that game from back in 2005 are still fresh in the mind. Not only useful for memory palaces but nothing like decade old nostalgia

1 Like

If anyone has tried a new VR game suited for making memory palaces, please do chime in. I haven’t come around to try Roblox yet.

There is a game called house flipper where u buy and clean and re decorate houses this may be useful?

1 Like

Appreciated @origami. I just checked out House Flipper, but I see it’s not in VR.

Ah sorry no its not in vr

Looks like all you need to get Roblox VR is a computer and a cell phone.

And Google Cardboard

I’m also very interested in using VR for memory palaces. I just got an email from Munx VR that their premium version is now available. Apparently you download the free version and then there’s some way to upgrade to premium within the free version. Anyway I don’t have VR equipment to try it myself, but would be interested in hearing how it goes for anyone else if they try it.

1 Like

It might not be VR but Fortnite is a great game for Memory Palaces. You can literally build your own buildings, areas, cities and there a thousands of maps made by other people available.

The map builder is really easy to use, too. There are many “re-builds” from maps from other games too, for example from Black Ops II or even Counter Strike (aim_deagle and such).

But using maps made by other people is the strongest point (of course after building your own ones, which has the disadvantage of being quite time intense).

I find the comic look of the game and the high contrasts to be helping with remembering. And the game is free, which is awesome.

You can find maps by other people at this link. Using the unique codes, you can access them on any platform. I can highly recommend the “Hide n Seek” maps, since they usually have a lot of details and different rooms/houses etc.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I hadn’t heard of Munx before. I checked it out now, and I see they say here that you don’t actually need a VR set to be able to use it. But when or if you purchase a VR set, it would work better. It’s free for now, so do let me know if you’ll check it out.

Welcome to the boards, Monti, and thanks for your feedback. I really do find houses to be optimal for memory maps, and good houses is what most games are lacking. But alas, no VR.

With regards to 2D games, I don’t have one which I’ve played enough times to make the map stick. And although customs maps are fantastic for memory palaces, just a long linear journey, without branches to the left and right when needed, would also be very useful. Especially if uploaded to the Art of Memory software.

I haven’t come around to really use the Art of Memory software yet, although I bought access long before the launch date.

I don’t know if it’s any good, but on steam there is memory palace software called “Macunx”
I’ve been meaning to reach out to those guys.
Edit: Ah. Did they change their name to “Munx?”
But Munx isn’t even a word…

1 Like

Do report back to us if you give it a go! It’s called Munx, but written Macunx, and to add to the confusion their website’s name is Linguisticator. But it looks like they’ve got good stuff!

The problem I have with 3D video game palaces is - the textures used are too repetitive compared to real life locations. Minecraft or Roblox would be frustrating for me to use as a palace for this reason.

However, technology has improved quite a bit so perhaps I should try again.

I made a memory palace using the “Stage 9” fan recreation of the Star Trek Enterprise D bridge. It is made with the Unreal Engine. It worked pretty well.

I find computer games highly addictive so I am nervous about using them…

Yeah, repetitive textures can be an issue. I don’t get easily addicted to video games, and I reluctantly installed Minecraft and got around to see how it works, but the simplistic flat structures made it pretty much useless. And it takes time to build, you don’t just smack up a house.

Roblox looks promising. Like here, there’s quite a lot of detail.

I have to stress, 3D and VR are worlds apart. VR is nothing short of amazing, for retention and wowing people. Get chased by a monster in VR and you’ll remember the place. And it would be easy to visualize something happening in all the loci. I half wonder if the best approach to retention would be screenshots from VR which then gets exported into Paint and associations pasted onto them, and then taking both into Anki: Empty loci on the frontside of the flashcard, and then you’re to guess which associations you’ll see in that very loci on the backside of the card.

2 Likes

Fascinating. Excellent points.

I’m thinking of learning three.js as a way to make 3d memory palaces in JavaScript. (Always looking for an excuse to practice JavaScript). If I can get enough free 3d assets I could make some pretty outrageous ones.

I have been experimenting with 2D comic books and this looks a lot more promising.

Yes, Anki is great. I use it a lot. However, for memory palaces I found Anki frustrating. I made my own little app (badly). It downloads the memory palace information from Google Sheets. I update my palace in Google Sheets and when I want to be tested Voila!

Thanks for starting this great discussion. Now my wheels are spinning…

2 Likes

Your post in the other thread was amazeballs. I wish the world was smaller, so one could pop over to share advice on stuff. I’d love to see exactly how you get to work on books.

I am not sure if I catch your drift with 3D games. Please tell more.

But I’ll expand on what I wrote about Anki and VR. I was thinking of first exploring a world with Oculus Rift, so you’ll know the memory palace. Then take flat screenshots of loci, one of which would be empty, the other would have mnemonic images. So this would be the question side of the Anki card.

Looking at it I would quiz myself for what should be on it. And if I fail to recall “tree, sun, boar, tree, beehive”, then I’d hit “again”.

This would be the answer side.

So no text on the Anki cards, just a picture on the question side and another picture on the answer side. I could write on the answer side that mnemonics on the picture is supposed to represent three, one, four, one and five. But the picture alone on the answer side would suffice.

1 Like

Fascinating. I was thinking the same thing. I am re-focusing on Anki more as I do think it is the easiest way to “load up” a memory palace. Also, I am using it as a way to trick myself to go to the gym.

Answer side with Mnemonics…

For me, I need a description of the Mnemonic. It would be too hard to draw the entirety of my outrageous mnemonic on the computer. I am now sometimes including a few still images of a few things related to the mnemonic on the back of the Anki card.

I was in error to think it was not worth putting an image of the mnemonic on the backside of the card. Just seeing the related mnemonic images when answering the card will indeed burn it into memory.

Your system seems quite good.

Please keep us updated with your progress.

1 Like

@LikeARollingStone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbOVds5msag

Apparently thew newer 3D Fallout games all have “level editors” you can download to create your own locations on the map. I actually purchased Fallout: New Vegas for this purpose. Unfortunately, I couldn’t stop playing it so I had to delete everything.

The same problem of limited textures and assets. Fallout 4 has one - the textures are quite a bit more advanced - although I don’t think my machine can run that one.

Seems like a fair amount of work.

Hi I have some alternative options to make memory palaces. I am using sketch up software to create palaces easily and then I am converting them to a vr model using simlab software in desktop /laptop.Then I am genrating a file so that I can view that vr model in Android using a vr set and using the same simlab software which comes for Android. It’s very useful.

1 Like

Great! thank you so much.