Need help with Dominic's journey technique to memorizing the whole phonetic alphabet

Were you expecting a different effect? I don’t think that memorizing it will have a major effect on general memory (other than making the next memorization task easier). It will mainly let you recall that one list.

josh i was expecting my memory skills to improve profoundly by learning the alphabet

I think that memory techniques are generally limited to the specific things that you’ve memorized. So if you’re memorizing the NATO Phoentic Alphabet, you will be able to recall the phonetic alphabet easily, but it won’t necessarily help you remember other things more easily. The more things you memorize, the easier it is to apply the techniques to new things though.

3 Likes

in the book…

how to develop a brilliant memory week by week 50 proven ways to enhance your memory by Dominic O Brien

he mentions the alphabet is a huge memory advantage but i don’t see any difference

it was fun learning the alphabet anyway

1 Like

I also found it fun learning the alphabet, though I have found uses for it. I have a specific memory palace donated to the alphabet and alphabetical purposes. For example, I can hold alphabetical countries, animals, fruits, names in my palace or I can use my images for the alphabet to help me remember license plate numbers or acronyms that are not sinking in as well as I like.

If you examine how you memorized the alphabet you’ll realize how you can improve rapidly. Memorable image creation, encoding, decoding, focus and recall are all improved (and improving these is how you improve your memory). The more you practice the techniques the faster you’ll become at many disciplines of memory.

For more improvement test out the various memory games from Memory League and another option is to look into speed cards. But the principles are the same! Practice image creation, encoding, decoding, focus and recall and work on improving your speed and you will improve quickly!

1 Like

Was he referring to the NATO phonetic alphabet there or his alphabet-based Dominic System?

not sure

Basically, you can use the NATO Alphabet as a memory journey and or pegs. A kind of a List-Palace. So it is still a very powerful tool to use.

When you use the letters as A for Alpha, B for Beta, C for Charlie etc, you can then use these images to memorise any kind of data such as a To-Do list (Jobs-to-do), shopping list, etc by way of the link method.

You would have to think of an image that would represent each letter from A-Z.
And then use those images to memorise any kind of list. You can also re-use them daily by creating new links with the new list.

You would of course have to also think of an image for each item on your list too. For example; if it’s “Cook Pasta”, then you’d think of the image of that type of pasta.

Basically each Letter-Image is the Recall-Trigger that is Linked with the item in your list.

If you had “A for Alpha-Male” (perhaps a friend), and want to memorise “Cook Pasta”, then you may imagine your friend cooking pasta in your kitchen or at the shopping centre if you had to buy it first. To make it even more memorable, you may create an episodic reasoning by using the senses and actions to make it very funny or sad, or violent. I usually imagine a scene that is very funny.

This would give you 26 peg images, and if you place each image into a memory-palace such as your home or garden or school or where-ever you may choose, you’ll have a very powerful 26 stops journey that you can use day in day out for all sorts of data such as your to-do list (jobs-list).

If you want to go further with the Alphabet letters, here are some more ideas you can use to increase the Alphabet Palaces each with 26 stops. You can find these on the forum and or at the Memory Wiki pages when you a search.

NATO Alphabet - 26 images
A - Alpha-Male | B - Beta Girl | C - Charlie-Chaplin | etc.

Letter - Shapes - 26 images
A - Peg | B - Sunglasses | C - Pacman etc

Letter-Rhymes - 26 images
A - Ape | B - Bee | C - Sea etc

Letter-Animals- 26 images
A - Alligator | B - Bear | C - Cat etyc

Letter-Fruits- 26 images
A - Apple | B - Banana | C - Cherry etc.

Letter-Items - 26 images
A - Ambulance | B - Ball | C - Cap etc.

So here you can create 6 palaces each with 26 stops.
If you practice each palace, and know by heart where each item is in your palace, you’ll have a very powerful tool that you can use at any time of the day to memorise any kind of data. Not only you’ll start believing in yourself that you can do this because you know how, but you’ll also notice other people noticing you with your new ability to memorise stuff they find very impressive. This in my life led me to getting more customers in my business, made more friends, and enables to have lots of fun with family. Just keep going. You can only get better.

2 Likes

Actually, it’s Bravo in the phonetic alphabet, not Beta.

1 Like

dont worry guys i have learnt the NATO alphabet off by heart

1 Like

yes its my bad. somehow my mind recalled it as beta. It is Bravo.