Most useful events for my only purpose(Competetive exam) please guide me

So my main goal that I want to achieve through these all is to clear UPSC examination for which I have to read Newspaper/current affairs,static syllabus mostly non technical like geography history polity so please guide me perfecting which events would help me breeze through this examination?@Josh Cohen
@LynneKelly

Hi Vishal,

Can you elaborate more on what exact information do you want help with?
Do you already have an exact fixed content to be learnt and you want to know how you can use memory techniques to memorise it? I am not sure if the UPSC exam functions like that

The information I have to deal with is Daily News paper or Current Events in the world or national and there is something called static syllabus which is non technical stuff History,geography,politics,psychology etc.@batman

For such a wide range of subjects, I think you’ll need to feel comfortable using a variety of memory techniques. Those techniques will work whether you need to learn the information in advance and then get tested on it or you’re presented information on the day of the exam that you’ll need to recall later.

The basis of virtually every memory technique is to associate new information with information you already know, typically through the use of highly memorable images. I’m not sure how much you’ll be able to “breeze through” an exam, though, without practicing these techniques until you’re comfortable with them.

If numbers/dates are involved, you will want to use a system that lets you associate those numbers with memorable images. The two most popular systems are called Major and Dominic. They are similar but each one has its differences and its fans. There is lots of information here about both approaches. (And if you haven’t yet read the beginner’s guide under “Resources,” you should definitely start there.)

For most everything else you will want to get comfortable using what’s called a “memory palace” or a “journey.” (Again, the beginner’s guide will explain these.) The idea is that you create images that you then “store” mentally along a journey or in a location that you know well from memory, like your childhood home or school or place of worship, whatever. As you mentally walk through that space, the locations will help you to remember what images you put there.

If you’re encountering your information on the day of the exam, you will need to be fully prepared: Have several different empty “memory palaces” ready to hold whatever information you have to remember and have practiced to the point where you can quickly create the images you want to store there.

It’s also important to allow time to review your palace/journey. Walk through it in your mind as many times as possible before you’re quizzed on it. Go through it backwards, if you can. And if any of the images don’t “stick” in your memory, review them and revise them, if necessary. (BTW, I’m American, and I’ve noticed that we use the word revise differently than, say, the British. They use it to mean “review.” In America, revise means “to edit/alter/change” in some way.)

I think it’s important to remember that there is no “quick fix” here. Memory techniques have to be learned and practiced. It may take a month or two before you’re comfortable with a number system and know the kinds of images that will be the most memorable for you.

Good luck! And I hope I haven’t completely misunderstood what you were asking about!

Bob

5 Likes

There is nothing like I have a task like memorising fastly in examination only test is based on stored information and recalling but syllabus is huge.I am quite aware of memory palaces built around 5,6 detalied.but point is I want my memorising speed of data like newspaper reading for suppose to be so fast what can I do? @RMBittner

Memory palaces can hold as much or as little information as you want. Some use them to store 1,000 digits of pi. Or all the world’s countries. Or what they need to buy at the grocery store this week.

The only real secret to speed, I think, is practice. But if you’re being tested on stored information, I’m not sure I understand why speed is that important…unless, of course, your test is happening soon!

Bob

3 Likes

I recommend going through the how to learn memory techniques guide. Practice with the techniques a bit. Then when you get stuck memorizing a specific piece of information, post an example of the information here and we could help brainstorm ways on how you might want to approach it. The more specific your question is, the easier it will be to answer it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What about memorising books?Which methods will help me?where should I practice?How can I become better?

There are some pages about that in the guide I linked to above. :slight_smile:

See the FAQs and these pages:

1 Like

I could not do better than the answers above! Bob’s response is wonderfully full and Josh’s resource pages are superb. It sounds like such a broad curriculum that a range of methods may be suitable. I am afraid that speed is not my forte. I am much more into long term memory methods, often implemented when out on a walk or doing art or making things. Others are far better at the speed memory, but that is usually for competition, not exams and long term knowledge.

But the starting point is always memory palaces.

All the best with it!

Lynne

3 Likes

Then What I should spend time on other than Memory palace for Long term and Exam?@LynneKelly

@VishalNenavath

You should at first develop a ‘framework’ using which you will be able to memorize stuffs efficiently!!

Memory Palace is just a part of the framework! It is not the end of everything. You need to have other ‘tools’,too,besides MP. For example,you should understand and work on:

1. How to convert numbers into images(Major System,Dominic System or any other system)
  2. How to convert text into images!

You must become proficient in these two at first,if you want to effectively memorize ‘dates,rules,history,newspapers,etc’!

It is gonna take time and a lot of practice. There is no quick fix here. You need to invest time to learn the ‘tools’ first,then,memorizing textbooks will get easier using your tools!

But if your exam is near,then,it is better to just use ‘rote memorization’. But if you have a enough time to spare,then,you can try to build the ‘framework’ using which you will memorize your UPSC stuffs later.

It looks like you are not prepared for memorization techniques yet. In that case,‘rote memorization’ is gonna help you. Also,you can use “Anki” software to speed up the rote memorization and make things easier for you…

1 Like

I have so many years I want to become expert in these tools and Memory palace I need Proper guidance or is mentoring possible?

If you have time to spare for becoming an expert in memorization techniques,then,start from this link>> Links to Art of Memory Resources

Learning ‘mnemonic techniques’ is an interesting and satisfying journey. And I think,it is one of the best investments of time and effort. It is worth it!

Jump right in and start to explore. You won’t regret it… :wink:

1 Like

I agree with everything elitely said.

I would add using song, dance (or some form of movement) and characters. Converting abstract information to characters works very well. It’s how we do cards for competition, but also how indigenous and early European cultures worked. Chemistry: Acid and Base become characters. So do all the elements. History has not shortage of them naturally, so use those characters to make your images and stories more lively. The Dominic system for numbers is also based on characters.

Converting any information to song or drawings or movements ensures that you engage with it, rather than just read it over or repeat it without understanding.

You have lost to do!

Lynne

2 Likes