Mnemonics for children

Hi all.

I’m in my 70s and I didn’t discover the mnemonics until fairly late in life, so I’m a user, but far from an expert.

I want to encourage one of my nieces to introduce her young son to mnemonics, but I fear she will need a fair bit of help herself. Unfortunately I am a long way away from them so personal interaction is impossible.

Can anyone suggest a good book for this purpose - for introducing parents to the topic and helping them to introduce their children?

5 Likes

What’s the age range there? I doubt there is any good books for kindergarten or preschool… in fact, I doubt there are really any pedagogical books when it comes to memory techniques.

You could just have them look at the basics here on the forum… there is a starter guide under the Resources link as well.

Idriz Zogaj (President of the Swedish Memory Sports Council) actually wrote a children’s book series a few years ago. The first book is called “Addi & virriga pappan” (Addi and the confused daddy). Unfortunately it’s in Swedish, so it might not be very useful for you, but it’s supposed to be pedagogical. :smiley:

From the book description on the website (translated):

Addi is five years old. She is joining her dad to an employment interview for a job as animal caretaker in the city zoo.
“A dad can’t have a better job than that. Imagine, then I can pet all the animals in the zoo whenever I visit him”, thinks Addi.
But her dad has some problems remembering the way and it is very important to be on time for such a meeting. How will this end?

‘Addi & the confused daddy’ is the first book in the children’s book series “Fun to remember” och covers the most basic memory technique - to link information together by creating a funny story. An easy trick to memorise simple information.

1 Like

Thanks for the response.

I’ve sent this link to my niece and suggested she jump in herself.

Well, I did find a little booklet, more of a long document really, that would serve quite well to get a parent introducing mnemonics to a child. The approach is very simple, as it should be, and just introduces the Linking Method and the Major System in very basic but quite usable ways. The author’s child was 5 years at the introduction of Linking, and 6 years when the Major System was introduced.

Be Brilliant
Teach Your Child to Memorize the
Easy Way with Simple Mnemonics
by David M Brown

It’s an Amazon Kindle Title of only 12 printed pages and sells for US$3.99. This forum doesn’t allow links but just go to Amazon dot com and search for the above title.

Note to Amanda: I don’t know if you are familiar with Amazon Kindle, but there are millions of titles available from all genres imaginable, at prices a fraction of what you will pay for paper, and all easily and instantly available. I have a Kindle reader device, but you can also read Kindle publications on mobile phone or computer using free downloadable app. Just search. For the last several years I have sourced 99.99% of my reading as Amazon Kindle downloads.

I do hope you pursue this with Coop. You’ll never regret it and there will come a time when he will be eternally grateful.

PS Mastering the Cyrillic Alphabet in a little over an hour was no mean feat for me and I’m really only an amateur at mnemonics.

2 Likes

Here’s a link to the article (on my computer it says 12 pages, 2,300 words for USD $2.99).

1 Like

We need Google Translate and all of that stuff to get much better still… come a far way already over the last say 25-50 years considering… but wouldn’t it be nice to not have to worry about things like language barriers anymore.

Hi William - great to hear you want to help your niece.

There wasn’t a specific book for how to teach kids. I simply just learned myself and brought it down to a kid level. Youtube is great and also Nelson Dellis’s book “Remember It.”

At 5 years old my daughter can memorize up to 80 random words using a mind palace and the US presidents. She can also remember names, numbers and scriptures/poems using various techniques.

3 Likes

Like most Australians raised so far from the rest of the world, English is my only language. I travel a lot and I’m currently in Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia. When contemplating learning a few get-by words in the local lingo I decided to skip Georgian, as it is spoken almost nowhere outside the Caucasus. A large percentage of the population also speak Russian, so I opted to learn a few phrases in that language.

However, before I go into a shop with some specific purchase in mind I always make a pre entry in Google Translate in Georgian. It’s amazing how far that app has come. None of the natives ever have a problem with any of the translation.

As to memory techniques, I am so often frustrated and disheartened by how difficult it is to convince parents unfamiliar with mnemonics as to what a tremendous boon it will be to their children as they progress through the educational levels. One great regret of my life is that I didn’t become aware of mnemonics techniques until late in life.

4 Likes

A bit late to the game, but may I suggest you look at “Mind Maps for Kids: Max Your Memory and Concentration” by Tony Buzan (found e.g. from https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-Maps-Kids-Memory-Concentration/dp/0007197764). Used it myself ~10 years ago to help our son to get started.

Thanks Thomas. Never too late. I’ll check it out and pass the information on.

1 Like

Oops.

Currently unavailable for delivery to your region due to high demand. We are working to resume delivery as soon as possible.

1 Like