Mnemonics for Certifications

I’d like to get into the IT field with a focus on Linux Administration, and I’ll eventually go for a degree.
I’m having trouble coming up with a strategy to memorize the needed information for comptia’s linux+ certification for the first exam LX0-101. I’d post a link to the objectives but they all seem to be in pdf format, and posting links is often frowned on in a lot of forums, at least for people with low post counts.

I was thinking of mapping out the needed information so I could organize it in a more concise manner first. After I see what I’ll need to memorize, I could then create a memory palace with the appropriate rooms, and perhaps create mini-journeys in each room for more detailed information. I would then use anki or some other program to remind me to go through my journeys.

I hope that makes sense, I’m still new to the idea of studying, and using mnemonics as an aid.

I’m excited to be part of this forum, and I’m grateful for any idea’s and guidance provided.

I’ll be more than happy to update regularly with any progress made for the benefit of all readers.

1 Like

Feel free to link to the information that you need to memorize. :slight_smile:
You could also post an excerpt with a specific example here.
It will help to be able to see the exact information.

Hey Josh, here’s a link to the exam objectives:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ncvTGDfZkjIJ:www.comptia.org/global/Libraries/DE-Docs/CompTIA_Linux_Powered_by_LPI_LX0_101.sflb.ashx+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiPRouEh-1yhHXpaJ00kwg15mHzbmsf7NmdzQuo-LgoH0rfXNTblz3zG2h0bAZ4qQmyCoe3dmhCtKKIyJkV7QSduhmI-wAGcCZDStyMjtH9xdZ-sQWHkvKZEvWctxCijm5HkYU2&sig=AHIEtbTxOXPsAHSheYrhRhf4HnDj0fpZJw

One of the big problems I’m having is breaking the information down into manageable chunks.

Here’s a link to a book on amazon on the subject:

If the previewer doesn’t open automatically, the chapter starts on page four. I’m starting to get some idea of what I could do, looking at the information.

I’m starting to think a mind map might help too, I’m not big on mind mapping but I think drawing out some of the linux commands may help me memorize the information.

Thanks for the help Josh, I appreciate it.

It isn’t showing me the correct chapter, and seems to only let me choose random pages.

What is information about? File-related commands?

If it is memorization of terminal commands, maybe you could take a list like this and then write them down on a piece of paper in categories. The mind map idea is good. I would probably just use lists.

Time-related: cal, date, etc.
File information: file, locate, find, pw, wc, etc.
File modification: chmod, chown, etc.
Logic: if, while, etc.
Network: ping, ifconfig, ifdown, ifup, etc.

Then create a memory palace in a house, and use one room for each category. Then you could add additional information to each command as you learn more. So say that the image for wc is on the couch in your living room (“wc” could be a toilet). You might want to remember the different options:

• bytes (bites the toilet)
  • characters (some cartoon characters using the toilet on the couch)
  • lines (line dancing around the toilet seat)
  • Etc.

Then if you are tested on certain commands, you could just go to the room where you keep commands in that category and find the mnemonic images there.

If the information is more along the lines of file system structure, you could put that information in a memory journey around a different room in the house. Some of the commands get pretty complicated, so they could have their own room if necessary.

Just some quick ideas. :slight_smile:

Josh that’s exactly what I was looking for! I’ll get to categorizing every thing I need to memorize, and start right away. This would make one heck of a memrise course too.

Thanks for the help, what once seemed like a daunting task is looking easier every day.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi boys, How I can use mnemonics techniques to associate answers to questions like the following?

1. A process can have a single Process Simulation Model. True or False?
    Answer=False
  2. How many Process Simulation Models can be defined for a single process?
    Answer= Multiples

(These are question for the exam of Oracle Unified Business Process Management Suite 11g Essentials Certification: http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=5001&get_params=p_exam_id:1Z0-560&p_org_id=&lang=)

Any suggestion for my question ?

First of all, questions 31 and 32 ask the same data:

a single process can have multiple process simulation models.’’

I do not see why this is difficult or why one cannot use any techniques described on this forum or especially the wiki part.