Mining the Forum

Because this Forum doesn’t already steal enough hours from my day, I’ve been looking up the users whose information and ideas have really resonated with me and started exploring their posting history. For some, posts go back a number of years, covering truly interesting topics that haven’t been discussed recently. I’m finding it to be fascinating reading and a way to gain even more from this forum.

For those who haven’t done this before:

Choose a post from someone you’d like to see more from. Touch/click (I’m on an iPad, so I’m going to say “touch”) either the avatar photo or the poster’s name, then again touch/click either the avatar or name in the pop-up box that appears. This takes you to the member’s full personal page, where you can read their complete self-description. But if you touch/click on “Activity,” you can also quickly see all of their posts—from the most recent to the oldest.

The only drawback is that if you have to scroll and scroll to get to an interesting older post, and you then click on that post to read the thread, hitting the “Back” button to return to the member’s activity history will drop you right back at the top of the list, not the point you had scrolled down to. (Maybe this behavior can be changed?)

Anyway, I thought all of this was worth mentioning. This site has been accumulating a ton of content since at least 2011 (I think!), but the majority of it requires that we go searching for it. Starting with people we already relate to and learn from seemed to me like a good way to do that–uncovering a wider range of content than you’re likely to find just using search terms.

Bob

6 Likes

Maybe you should add the tag #how-to to your post.

Try long-pressing* on the link and then select open in new tab. After you’re done just close the tab… the original tab is still in the location you left it.

*that’s right clicking for non-mobile users

4 Likes

Thank you! (And…well, duh.) :slight_smile:

Bob

Since the days of Internet Explorer and Netscape, I have rarely left-clicked on a browser link. I right-click, when possible.

As a result, I can have several tabs open in one instance of Chrome. For example, these tabs might be for ArtOfMemory.

I could have several tabs open in another instance of Chrome - maybe for Google News.

And so on.

All these tabs were opened using R-click (as @bjoern.gumboldt suggested.

I never use “Back” on the browser. In some (rare) cases, pressing Back has caused me to lose hours of work.

Sometimes I’m forced to use L-click. In those cases, open a duplicate tab by R-click > Duplicate, then use the newly opened tab. Your previous tab remains available for further use.

An example of using Duplicate would be if your current page has a button such as “Login” or “Add to Basket”, then clicking that button will lose your tab. So simply Duplicate, then L-click on “Login” or whatever button you wanted. You can return to your previous tab which still exists.

Maybe you now understand when I say I don’t need to press Back. All the previous tabs are still open in the browser.

I don’t have a high spec laptop, but I can open 3 browsers with 10 tabs each without any noticeable slowdown. No point paying for resources if you don’t them.

Thanks.

2 Likes

“Open link in new tab” is a very important tool for managing the browser. Sometimes I have so many tabs open, I can’t figure out where the music is coming from! :slight_smile: Also handy is Ctrl+Shift+T which restores the most recently closed page - you can hit it more than once to recall even earlier pages.

3 Likes

If you find a post that you like you can also bookmark it with the bookmark icon. That will also help the curation script find the best content. :slight_smile:

Here’s a small navigation cheatsheet:

Keybinding Result Notes
ctrl-click open link in new tab middle-click also does the same thing
shift-click open link in new window for saving the context of the other window
ctrl-shift-t open last closed tab
ctrl-shift-n open last closed window Firefox-only
ctrl-w close tab
ctrl-tab move one tab to right
ctrl-shift-tab move one tab to the left
alt open Firefox’s top-level menu there are more history options there

You can also save a click by right-clicking and then pressing the underlined letter in the menu (t for new tab, w for new window, etc.).

Some people like this extension for organizing a lot of open tabs:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the tabs advice, folks!

I don’t have any trouble using tabs. (They’re incredibly easy to manage on the iPad, and I’m iPad-only by choice.) My workflow just hasn’t involved needing to keep multiple tabs open for the same web site. So it didn’t occur to me to do that as a workaround for the Back issue I was experiencing. But it’s a great solution.

Bob

2 Likes