miniature memory palaces - including your palm

I am keen to attempt to implement the Guidonian system. Will be fun i think.

Sounds like a miniature memory palace to me :slight_smile: I see what you are going with, association of the place to point in the painting. Sounds like an interesting experiment and I would be keen to hear how you go. Historically people have created maps of what happened in a place. They would depict and associate the history to the geographic area in the map to better facilitate recal. Medieval cartographers would use maps as a place for cultural memory rather than just a pure Cartesian space.

Hi Weekes.
I must confess to knowing nothing about these particular diagrams. And I assumed that one would mentally walk along the line…but still I really can’t see the intersections working very well as loci.

Nevertheless, does it specify which origin belongs to which letter? In “B” for example is B represented by the origin to the left or to the right? I suppose you could just pick and be consistent. But I think the diagram would be better with each letter’s origin centered below the letter.

I have so much more to read about. Thank you for these responses.

Is the Lullian wheel some kind of link between whatever the words mean? Is each point in some way a unique image generator linking the words it connects? That doesn’t actually seem to work, but I can’t see how you could use each point uniquely to make a memory link. What are the words? I couldn’t find them in a Latin dictionary. I need to do more reading!!

Thank you for the pointers to the Guidonian Hand. Much appreciated.

Weekes - by ‘should receive updates’, do you mean by email? I do subscribe but don’t receive anything. I really want to, because I don’t want to miss such interesting comments as on this thread.

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

The wheels in Llull’s work correspond to permutations & combinations of divine attributes or truths.
You can find the words in a Latin dictionary.

He wanted to use the wheels to not quote a book, I.E. Bible, Koran, Torah but use the logic wheels as such to come to a conclusion about spiritual matters. He used the wheels when evangelizing both Jews & Muslims actually.

Eric Bonner has some works on Llull’s work you can find online…Papers mostly…The more complete books/works will cost you.

BTW insofar as microsystems are concerned,
In India the Sandhyavandhanam is done mapping the mantras to the parts of the each digit of the right hand and moving in a clockwise fashion on the hand.

In Tibetan Buddhism, mantras are counted & repeated on the left hand using each digit as a count, using the thumb
only once in that counting from pinky to index, then skipping the index finger back to the pinky again.

Stefos

Sorry about that. Auto-subscribe isn’t working yet,* but if you click the “Subscribe to this thread” link under the top post it should send an email for each new comment. If that link doesn’t result in emails, let me know. [Update: auto-subscribe now works.]

(* I wasn’t able to do that yet, since the fix depended on some other things, but I’m working on it again now.)

Thank you for your comments and explanations, Stefos. I really appreciate them. I will look into Lull mroe when I get a chance. What you say make more sense than my understanding to date.

I am really keen to know more about this. It is exactly what I expect some cultures will have done, but I can’t find references. I have looked online but not found anything using your keywords. Can you point me to any resource which might explain this to me and give an image?

The counting you describe is very similar to that explained to me by the local Aboriginal elder. That’s not surprising. Hands and fingers are very good for counting!

Thank you again,

Lynne

Thank you! That is all I need to know. That works! I don’t need auto-subscribe because that works.

Love this forum! Everyone is so well behaved and nice to each other! Not always the case online. :slight_smile:

Lynne

http://www.ramonllull.net/sw_studies/studies_original/compbon.htmlHi Lynne, I have been getting emails from the thread, thank you Josh for fixing the glitch in the matrix :wink:
I found this resource on Lull
And found it most useful. It seems Lull was more interested in permutations of logic than using the sites of the nonagram (is that the right word) as loci. The article ‘What Was Lull Up To’ explains a lot. I purchased Four Works on Lull by Giordano Bruno translated by Scott Gosnell as it seems Giordano is the one who then took Lull’s combinatric logic and applied it to memory. Which was also then applied to memonics for the hand.

Lull was combining goodness, greatness and other aspects of what he interpreted God to be with questions and characteristics. It becomes nearly mantra like when one gets into it. A flowing stream of permutations on the aspects of God.

Sandhyavandhanam sounds interesting. I would like to know about this because I see linkages between combinatory questioning and the mantras used in Sandhyavandhanam. Stefos do you have a resource you could share?

I am excited to find out more about Giordano Bruno and Lull. I think my next purchase is obvious. Frances Yates Bruno and Lull. Unless your new book comes out first Lynne :slight_smile:

Hi Lynne,

So…Giri (an Indian company) sells Sandhyvandhanam books & booklets actually.
I bought them for personal use and found it fascinating as well.

Please look up Giri.

In India, Nyas or Nyasa is done chanting the mantras and “implanting” them onto different parts of the body by the will.

Stefos

Hi Weekes138,

So…Giri (an Indian company) sells Sandhyvandhanam books & booklets actually.
I bought them for personal use and found it fascinating as well.

Please look up Giri.

In India, Nyas or Nyasa is done chanting the mantras and “implanting” them onto different parts of the body by the will.

Stefos

In regards to Sandhyavandhanam & Nyasa,

The fingers are used as placement points & and conveyers of mantric energy.

There are “generic” mantras for anyone to use and then there are mantras that a person must receive
initiation into per se.

Without initiation, the mantras are meaningless in regards to finger placement.

An important lesson to learn is: If you don’t remember things to begin with, All the memory systems in the world won’t work! LOL

Stefos

P.S. Mantras and mantric placement on an idol and on a human body are interesting topics.

Great, after the next major update, forum notifications will have several customizable options that I think will make keeping track of threads much easier.

This is all so interesting.

Weekes138, thank you for the sentiment! My new book isn’t out until early next year, so other books would be a good idea. Yates is essential. Scott Gosnell sent me his translations when he interviewed me for a podcast. I must get to them!

I looked at the Girl site, but I am still not sure exactly what would teach me about the hand mnemonics. Could you point me to a specific booklet or resource on their site, Stefos. I can imagine buying the wrong one and hunting madly through for hand diagrams only to find none there and that I had to try a different one.

If only there were a hundred more hours in a day!

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

www.giriusa.com :
Yajurveda Trikala Sandhyavandanam - 22999
SKU: 91001292

$3 USD

This shows the hand in action but doesn’t ascribe the mantra names to the parts of the hand as one is supposed to.

In Sandhyavandhanam, the hands are used quite a bit actually as this small booklet shows.

www.exoticindia.com:
Shri Gayatri Upasana by Subhash Jain
Hardcover (Edition: 2015)
D.P.B. Publications
Item Code: NAL664

$40 USD

This tells you which part of the Gayatri mantra, the integral part of Sandhyavandhanam, gets “affixed” to which joint.
That is, in the Sanatana Dharma tradition misnomered as “Hinduism.”

It’s expensive however but very comprehensive in regards to Sandhyavandhanam and Gayatri, more so Gayatri.
I do own the book Lynne and when I find it, I will copy that particular page for you.

www.exoticindia.com:
Rig Veda SandhyaVandanam (Sanskrit-English in Bold Letters With Complete Pictorial & Instructions)
by Meenakshi Balu
Paperback (Edition: 2009)
Giri Trading Agency Pvt. Ltd.
Item Code: NAJ692
$15.00

This is a different but similar Sandhyavandanam book which appears to be out of print at the giriusa.com site.

Tibetan Buddhism is a lot harder to find works that talk about “affixing” mantras to body parts.
Typically here, the mantras are spoken and/or visualized on the body part itself…The body is not touched.

Be Well Dr. Kelly :slight_smile:
Stefos

P.S. Check out the giri website in India for the 2 works I told you about above…Since you’re in Australia (I presume) it’s right next to you, per se.

Thank you so much, Stephos, I shall check these out immediately. I really appreciate you going to so much effort finding this for me. It is something I have been hunting for - for years. But I didn’t know enough to find what I needed.

I REALLY appreciate this.

Lynne

You’re welcome Lynne!
Be blessed!

It was easy for ME to find this out either…Trust me.

Also…David Frawley wrote a book on Mantra Yoga…In it, he shows the mantra purusha.
The mantra purusha is when you “implant” mantras on various parts of the body via speaking the mantra
and touching the respective body part, eyes, nostrils, ears, feet.

Very interesting to see this micro-mapping, per se.

Stefos

P.S. If you’d like to discuss these things in private, Please PM me!

Thanks Dr. Kelly :slight_smile:

Thank you again, Stephos. I am just finalising a manuscript on memory systems for my publisher, so won’t get a chance to look at anything more for a few weeks, but this is all intriguing!

Lynne

I do not know why I received a notification today pointing to this thread. But it reminded me of an old project that I never turned into a reality, using art as mansions, and I just began again to work on it.

I want to memorize something, so I did this miniature palace, only 19 places. (There is an error, the 15 appears twice). I can add much more, and even “zoom in” to add more places within places.
For years I have been trying to memorize verbatim in languages that are not my mother tongue, and this has been always very difficult for me.

2 Likes