Memory Postdiction

Article explores the “deja vu” sensation and the sense of having anticipated a future event. It suggests that this is an artifact arising from the way memories are laid down and interpreted. More specifically, we remember having predicted something when it may not have been the case at all.

1 Like

Article explores the “deja vu” sensation and the sense of having anticipated a future event. It suggests that this is an artifact arising from the way memories are laid down and interpreted.

I think this statement is much to strong. To use an analogy: scientist have proven that taking growth hormone and anabolic steroids leads to bigger muscles. That doesn’t mean that everyone with big muscles has taken those substances.

To put it differently: people that have in fact predicted a future event, may also have that sense.

Sounds interesting. Phenomenology (for instance, Husserl) has studied the way time is given to consciousness. For us time is never a point, like in a cartesian plane, but has a certain width. It always carries with it a bit of the past, few seconds, that bit by bit fade (called retention), and “anticipates” the future (sometimes translated as “protention”), also few seconds. That is why we can live, think and do thinks fluidly and not in a discrete way. This aspect of time was already mentioned by Augustine in the 4th century.
The explanation of the deja vu mentioned above seems to be compatible with this analysis of the stream of consciousness. That is why, I suppose, the deja vu is perceived as a very short time. We never have a deja vu of something that lasts half an hour, as far as I know.

1 Like

We predict the future consciously, we anticipate it. We do not, on the contrary, anticipate a deja vu, it comes as a surprise.

1 Like

We predict the future consciously, we anticipate it. We do not, on the contrary, anticipate a deja vu , it comes as a surprise.

Your statement is correct. I do, however not understand the point your trying to make. The sense the article is talking about is the sense of having predicted a future event. It is not about the deja vu. The deja vu is presented by the researchers as a possible explanation of that sense.

I misunderstood your post.

1 Like