Somewhat recently I’ve been looking into the correlation between consciousness/awareness, the different states of consciousness/awareness and dreams in relationship to memory.
For example, the other night, I had 2 dreams which I remembered, as we all do to whatever degree.
I was also actually thinking about the brain waves patterns during different types of consciousness/awareness and how memory “fits:”
Can remembering the dream content place ones brain waves in the dream brain wave state?
In spiritual literature, dreams and understanding, particularly metaphysical understand, are remembered in the waking state allowing for the recall of the information conveyed.
I don’t think,that happens. But I could be wrong. My reasoning is,dream state is quite different than waking state. And during dream,brain activates some specific areas of the brain,which are not active during waking state. We can recall the dream and how we felt during that dream. But experiencing the dream in realtime and recalling it during waking hours are two different thing,I think…
There are not much scientific literatures available on this issue.
What I am very eager to know is: does our brain activate the dream state just when we are dying?
It seems,it does. Well,at least,the Buddhist Meditators claim so………!
I do not know if this is directly related to the topic. In periods in which I train memory more intensely, my dreams become more vivid, detailed, and I am able to remember longer dreams.
In my case, I think, remembering the dreams or not depends on the quality of the sleep.
No. Remembering a dream is not the same as dreaming, because in remembering the dream you are in the awake state, whereas having a dream you are usually in REM state which is a stage of sleep, not one of wakefulness.
If the dream was remembered clearly enough and emotions remembered/engaged enough, would this induce or be conducive to getting back into the dream state?
Returning to a similar state would be possible. If you carry forward a dream at a later time into a meditative session (or during active imagination, trance, focused attention, image streaming, etc.) then the dream can be ‘relived’ … You may reach a point in which the specific brainwaves are similar so that you enter into the dream-like state. No state is exactly alike and no dream can be fully controlled so you may be led into a different dreaming environment.
You may wish to research WILD … Wake Induced Lucid Dreaming. Or MILD … Mnemonically Induced Lucid Dreaming. These techniques incorporate the active use of a previous dream to induce a lucid dreaming state. It is somewhat tangential to what you are describing but similar enough that it would lead you into what you question.
I practice Tibetan Dream Yoga and it does work.
Also I can personally confirm that thinking about the dream and visualizing it does bring one back there.
In regards to brainwave functions, that’s a different story.
Hello all: I’m interested in dream recall. I’ve just stumbled across an article that claims those who remember their dreams just have a better memory in waking life to begin with. This seems to make obvious sense, but do you find it to be true? Do you super memory peeps also have great dream recall?