Memory Craft by Lynne Kelly

Those are pretty similar to my feelings about books. But they are worse than cats. I have walls of them.

1 Like

I am happy! Today the book was in my mailbox!

This is perfect for the next days I am on vacation so I can read it…

2 Likes

Lynne, I’m pretty sure I did it that way because I had read somewhere that you did it that way! :slight_smile:

Bob

2 Likes

Thanks Lynne, that is so helpful. I have had a good basic understanding of building a
journey but I’ve never constructed one with hundreds of locations. Of course that has limited
the usefulness of a journey. I’ve never considered creating the journey with data in hand and taking notes. Since I’ve always used known locations, I didn’t have to do that.

I think I’ll try something less adventuresome for my first “big journey” and then ask for help.

Thank you so much for your help.

Randy

1 Like

I do it that way because the ancient Greeks did - much as I’d love to claim credit!

2 Likes

It’s my personal experience that the brain seems to like 5’s. It seems natural to collect things in 5’s and to see numbers like 7 as 2+5. Compliment arithemetic exploits this, and as I’ve said, the Japanese abacus, Soroban.

2 Likes

I just received mine. I ordered from Allen & Unwin the publishes Down Under. From order to delivery was 4 days on the cheapest delivery option.

I listened to Memory Code on Audible while driving to and from Utah for a family reunion. Memory Craft cements a lot of the the info inn Memory Code. I am so interested in Khipu and mandalas as memory tools.

Thanks Lynne–cool book

5 Likes

I am so pleased that I got in early from Australia with Book Depository and ordered five copies of Memory Craft! I’ve given away three already and will not part with my much-underlined fourth.

4 Likes

Thank you for this comment, jawnaw2000. I am sorry that I didn’t see this message earlier. I do hope that you get to work with both khipu and mandalas.

And thank you also, lyrebirdkate. I really appreciate your enthusiasm!

And welcome to you both. It says these are your first comments.

Lynne

1 Like

I suspect Lynne thinks so :slight_smile:

I may have to order a copy on payday. While I have been practicing calculation, memory techniques have been pulling at me and I have been playing on the side. This site is a bit too addictive and the software seems to be working on me. Last time I worked on this I did a few journeys and got a rough major system working. The software is bringing it back very quickly so maybe in a few months I can play along.

2 Likes

The audiobook is now available:

4 Likes

Thank you @Josh and @LynneKelly but any plans to have the audio in amazon canada ?

1 Like

I was wrong! Sincere apologies. I thought that it was available everywhere, but it is only in Australia and New Zealand. My publisher here says that the North American edition is expected to be published soon after the hardback edition from Pegasus Books in the US. That is early January next year.

Again, apologies for the confusion my ignorance caused. This whole publishing game is too complicated for me.

P.S. Thank you Josh for your ongoing support.

Lynne

4 Likes

no problem , it is worth the patience, thank you dearly Lynne for the sharing of your wonderful projects

3 Likes

Hello Dr Kelley
I misplaced the following post and question in a different thread.
Best regards.

Hello Dr Kelley,
I loved your first book and look forward to the Memory Craft arriving soon.
I am wondering about the mechanics of creating a Lukasa, if you wouldn’t mind providing some additional thoughts:

I would like to experiment with using a Lukasa for memorizing plant families, as you have done for bird families, in accordance with www.wildflowers-and-weeds

Did you find that you needed a beed type object for each family as well as for the individual members of that Family? Perhaps you go into more detail in the new book? Did you have a deliberate design which leveraged colors, sizing and groupings prior to creating the Lukasa?

I believe this will be a fascinating experiment and I appreciate any insights you may share,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Please call me Lynne! This is such a friendly forum!

I have described using the lukasa in detail on this forum somewhere, but I am on the move and using a tablet and I can’t seem to find it. But you have Memory Craft coming and that describes the process very thoroughly - I think! If not, please ask more here.

I didn’t have different beads for each bird family. My first lukasa has a bead or group of beads for each family and then I use stories for the species in the families. The position on the board in terms of location and surrounding beads gives plenty of difference. I used about 6 different bead types and two different sized cowrie shells.

I didn’t design that lukasa with the bird families in mind. It worked a treat, but would have been better had I designed it according to the intended data. I did that with my second one, as described in Memory Craft, and the design phase plus the logical layout made it even easier!

Have fun with your lukasa. I love them. If you get a chance, I’d love to know how it goes.

Lynne

3 Likes

Thank you - I am looking forward to reading more on this and appreciate your response!

2 Likes

The North American edition of Memory Craft is now available. See this thread for details: Memory Craft Book (North American Edition)

3 Likes

I have just been told that the Australian edition is now available in Europe and the UK and probably elsewhere, including the audio version, on Kobo:

https://www.kobo.com/au/en/ebook/memory-craft

Lynne

3 Likes

Thank You! I’m downloading it right now!

1 Like