Memorizing information in grid format

I am a new devotee of memory work. It shows that the best way to learn is to just do it. Still, it is nice to have some advice along the way.

I work in the business world and a lot of the information I am given is presented in grid format with columns and rows. This is a handy technique for reference but I am having some difficulty putting them into memory palaces. So I have five stages of a project across the top and 15 program office functions down the side. It is easy to see that Project costing is in three of the stages while HR is in two. I am wondering if anyone has a technique for this or do you abandon the grid altogether?

Thanks

This is a very interesting article about memorizing information in a grid format:
http://memory-sports.com/2010/07/04/culinary-ratios-as-tabular-data/

Nice one! I’ve been trying to memorize most of the streets where I’m living (Buenos Aires, Argentina) so I don’t get as lost when I’m out drinking. A grid would definitely help, but A-Z would not be enough!

I wonder if it could be done with two main journeys: one for walking north to south, and another for walking east to west?

Crazy city – I wouldn’t want to get lost there. :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s how I remember it at the moment. It’s interesting, because I did one direction before I really knew how to make a journey in a proper place with proper images, so it’s a huge mess. Will need to re-do it some time.

Imagine if you made a grid of 10 x 10 and used the Dominic system for labelling
the squares of the grid.

The column (east-west) would be a number, the row (north south) the second number
then whateever is in that grid is associated with the Dominic number.

For example, at grid reference 1-1, my dominic image is Andre Agassi (AA from A = 1)
hitting a tennis ball.

I think Harry Lorayne writes about this technique of using a grid.

Charles

Good idea. I wonder if that would work for a large grid like in the memory palace for historic dates concept.