Memorizing information from Tv shows,anime,etc

Hello, i was rewatching HunterxHunter a 148 episodes anime for the past few days meanwhile i’ve been thinking on a method for being able to recall a summary of what happened as well as the number of the episode.
However I’ve been struggling with the method as i am a begginer on the memory techniques, what i have been doing basically consists on using the major system to associate the number of the episode to it’s events but i find it very difficult to create effective images with the premade major system words for each number.

Also while i can make an effort and memorize number through the association of some event, i oftenly see myself forgetting what else happened on the episode besides the event i associated it with.
For example(spoiler alert):
i’ve recorded that on episode 57 the main character gon and his friend killua have been trapped by the villains of the phantom troupe by linking this fact to the major system word for 57 “lock”, while i may not be able to tell what else happened at this episode.

Finally, i’ve been wondering if i’m doing anything wrong/inefficient and if there is a better way of doing this sort of thing
(sorry if there is already a discussion on this matter that i have missed)

1 Like

Have you tried using a memory palace? It might give you more room to memorize facts from each episode.

You could turn each location of the memory palace into a group of locations where you could place the information from an episode.

Example: if one location is a refrigerator, use the inside of the refrigerator as a mini-palace to store data about that episode.

3 Likes

The nostalgia of watching Hunter x Hunter again.

The ideal, rather than associating a major system image only, would be to run associations through a memory palace.

The issue with using a memory palace like this is that you need to encode every specific scene then revisit the palace to recall them each. This means that while you may recall ‘this happened’ you won’t from that be able to recall the next thing without going back to your memory palace. The actual encoding part should be relatively easy though, since you could for example:

spoiler alert

Visualize the phantom troupe walking with gon and killua hand-cuffed by machi’s nen threads

Inside one of your memory palaces.

If you want to do that then the structure would make sense to be a memory palace with a perhaps major system to indicate the episode. Then a journey until you see the next number to indicate another episode. You could also associate a specific number (time) to a scene. In that memory palace you would then place objects to recall scenes.

The way I would do it although I wouldn’t really call it better particularly is by recalling the episode after watching it from start to end via spaced repetition. This usually takes a little longer than watching it but does generally fully work. You could do this in chunks to make it more efficient, the first 2-3 minutes up to 25. The openings and endings would cut out 3 minutes. This way you will definitely remember the entire episode.

You should note how much detail you want to recall though. For example

spoiler alert

Do you want to memorize the exact pieces that meruem and komugi exchange when they play gungi?

If you just want some general points then it will be a lot quicker to use a memory palace, but I would say a memory palace is more efficient in general too. It doesn’t have any particular downsides over what you have been doing but it makes it easier to associate things ‘quickly’.

1 Like

Recalling from start to end is similar to my preferred system. True, it takes a lot more time than watching it, but sometimes… just-watching is to memorizing AS… writing on water is to writing on stone :slight_smile: . The latter takes more time & sticks better.

@Aleph, you can create your own words using the major system. They will hold more meaning for you. Also you can Look into PAO (person-action-object) system if you haven’t already.

Maybe You can use the subtitles of the episodes to construct a summary, like I sometimes do. But usually I do the full episode, not summary.

SYSTEM I USE
I have had some success with this system. Please share any improvements that can be made to it.

First, I find the subtitle of the episode. And memorize it.
I don’t put all the words into my memory palace, I just pick one keyword per line. I have found verbs to be effective keywords. So I pick just one verb per line, or any other available word (in absence of verbs), and go on. But that’s me, you probably prefer nouns.

You can experiment with cutting your work in half by picking just one of the actors in each scene and memorizing that actor’s lines alone.
OR
Memorizing even numbered lines only (the odd numbered lines are usually responses to the even, so… Maybe you’ll recall them together)
OR
The lines at every 5 or 10mins timestamp.
(or whatever other efficient way you think of)

But recalling an actor’s line by memorizing just a verb inside the line might seem impractical. Well that’s because it is, at least for me. That’s why the bulk of my time involves me testing my recall of these lines. My test question is of the form:
QUESTION - - > ANSWER
keyword1 : line1
keyword2 : line2… Etc

You can use anki spaced repetition software. But ensure you make several decks for one episode eg. For an episode with 400 questions, I’ll do 50questions per deck ie. 8 decks (instead of one single deck).
Because even with this 50questions /deck, you can still have similar keywords clashing as questions… Despite having different lines as answers. Anki will not detect it because I number them serially, so they are unique questions to anki and don’t get flagged
eg.

5. Jumped I jumped off the planet
16. Jumped Erik's horse jumped over the train

But they can confuse me a lot, hence the chunking of questions into separate decks. It allows me focus my recall /retrieval on particular sections of the episode’s timelines ie. Beginning, middle or end of the episode .
Within one 50question-deck, there will be few keywords clashing , I can more easily deduce which line is expected using d serial number.

So, When I can successfully recall lines from just the keywords, I start memorizing the keywords using my memory place.

Then I can watch d movie in my head by reciting the characters’ lines.
I sometimes watch the episode in slo-mo, audio muted, while I mentally supply the lines myself. The more confident I get, the faster the video speed gets.
As earlier mentioned, it takes much longer than watching, but its worth it. Plus I have mainly memorized about just 6 episodes in HIMYM comedy series, its comedy. So that helps.

I keep experimenting and tweaking for better efficiency. So @Aleph, if you attempt something similar, your feedback will be appreciated

Tools
ANKI

• For spaced repetition

MS word

• To use Find and Replace tool 2 remove timestamps for a less messy-looking subtitle
    (hope you are familiar with searches using special characters in msword).
  • To number questions serially
  • To put text into a format allowing bulk import into anki (YouTube taught me)

A Website: POS tag online

• it uniquely colors different Parts of speech ie. Verbs, nouns etc. Helps me spot the verbs easily
  • you can even print a list of all words belonging to a particular Part of speech

Am quite tech savvy

• so I automate a lot of these processes with msword VBA. I think it’s straightforward, but if you find all these processes to be too lengthy, You can try a quarter of an episode, to see if it’s something you can work with. Cheers :clinking_glasses:

PS: My first post on Art of Memory forum. Sorry its so long. I didn’t have time to make it short :relaxed:. Hope it helps

1 Like

Thank you guys for the responses

Well i was considering it, but since i´m not very familiar with the method i thought it would be wiser to discuss it first.

But it seems that there are few methods that are more efficient than this one, generally, so i´m going try it, thank you very much.

1 Like

Well, sure being able to do this much would be very nice, but at least on the beginning, i was thinking of something like being able to tell which episode it happened as well as recalling the context of the episode, like what they were talking about and what the other characters were doing at the time.

Maybe finding a method using the memory palace would take care of the task?

The method seems indeed very effective, but i wonder, using multiple anki cards for each episode would be practical in the long run? Because the anime has almost 150 episodes, while they are rather short some contain very dense dialogue scenes.

Hi. It will help a lot to get familiar with the memory palace method. The way I see it, using the major system (2 digits, 00-99) gives you 100 unique objects to use. While that is useful, using the memory palace can give you an unlimited number of unique objects.
You can even use the major system words to attach numbers to the objects in your memory palaces. That’s why the combination of the two is so powerful.
So for your initial example on episode 57

With a memory palace, You will be free to have more events, associated to more objects. The objects/events will be ordered sequentially in the memory palace, so you can associate your major system word for 57 (LOCK) with the first object in the sequence.

I think you’ll gain a lot by first getting familiar with a few of these powerful techniques. When you know what and what is possible, you can better plan your memory projects.

Use a book from Dominic O’Brian to get familiar with these techniques.

Well, you are right. Many people advice against Too many anki decks for the same subject.
Though, I’ll say this… I usually don’t need the decks after mastering an episode. Memorizing the anki questions is like having a mental flashcard… I usually start memorizing only after gaining confidence in anki. After that, I have mental flashcards, so no more use for those anki flashcards.

How do you eat an elephant :elephant:?
I usually do one episode at a time. I do one page at a time, when I memorize long poems, short stories and quotable quotes using this keyword method.
Maybe it will help to view the 150 episodes as… 15episodes * 10seasons. Then you can have many milestones to celebrate.

More importantly, You mentioned that your goal is to have a summary. I suggest focusing on memorizing just one character’s lines OR selecting key dialogues in the episodes. That would work. Cheers :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

I want to add that, for easy recall, I also use major system words for associations between Q n A while reviewing the anki flashcards.
So even if there are clashing keywords, the serial number helps me out. Eg.

Questions: Answer
8 woods: between the woods and the frozen lake
13 woods: the woods are lovely, dark and deep

For 8. Wood…
Q: I see Snowman ⛇ (shaped like 8) and wood
A: I remember association of snowman ⛇ in the ice-skating with a log wood on a frozen lake.
For 13 woods…
Association Will also be unique. Eg
Q: I see hourglass :hourglass_flowing_sand: (represents TIME, from major system word for 13) and woods
A: giant hourglass smashed, with love/heart shaped wood, it expels dark smoke, as it sinks deep into the ground.

Anki makes me review the associations multiple times, till it sticks.

After anki, I put the questions into a memory Palace. :slight_smile: