Memorizing Bible Verse Lists

bible-memorization

I’m currently in school for biblical education and am working through different books of the bible. I’ve been working on my 0-99 peg system based upon number shapes and am over half way to my goal. What I’m really interested in is not memorizing bible verses but bible references.

For example, let’s say I did a study in Romans on the words justification and righteousness which share a common Greek root and came up with a list of several verses to formulate my argument for how I think of that concept. What I’m trying to do in that case is come up with a way to memorize those verses in a way that’s memorable.

Let’s do Genesis 1:10-14.

Genesis is Jennifer Lawrence as an Isis operative, 1 is a candle, 10 is a fork and a plate, and 14 is a guy sitting in a chair. With these numbers you could build a pretty compelling and funny image.

However, I need a symbol for : and for - that I can easily recall and put within the image in a sensible way. I’d like to be able to create one image per station so I can know at one station is one verse before moving on but I’m worried that whatever I come up with for : will get boring.

For example, let’s say I make : a car. Well, I’m going to have to have a car in every image and that just seems like a recipe for disaster. If every image has a car they might bleed together over time.

Is there any way to make : and - unique or flexible so I can change it within a range of images for diversity yet consistent enough so I can keep track of what is what in my system?

(selmo'i cu se nintadni) #2

Do you need the chapter-verse separator and hyphen? Since you’ll have a unique image in [0, 99], that’s more than enough for the vast majority of references, and I’m sure there’s a way to workaround the last third of Psalms somehow. So if you just put the 3 (4 with the book) images together, you would be able to recreate the reference by knowing that it had to be of the form #:#-#, right? And if there are only two images, #:#.

Maybe for Psalms (and any chapter with >100 verses), you could use a secondary image for the book? so psalm 100 would get the image for 00 (or 99, if you’re 0-indexing here), and 101 would get 01 (or 00), but the book would not be represented by the same image as the first 100 psalms. Psalm 119 would require a tertiary book image after verse 100, but this is the best I can think of.