Memorize poems

Hey there.
A quistion to discuss…
If you want to memorize a poem what do you think is the best way to do it?

1. Is it to imagine that you are the poet and you are reading it to your audience.
  2. Or imagine the poet and give him an appearance and imagine if you are one of the audience listening to him.?
    give me your opinion… tell me who you are.

Be safe out there✌

Hello Noura Mohamed,

I imagine the things happening in the poem and think this is great, because I used this method for years and through this I could memorize poems a lot faster.

Yours Sincerely

2 Likes

This is a great one you know imagining the terms and things in the poem, it is so related to memory palace technique to master

Hello Noura,

For memorizing a poem or songs:

• Count the verses
  • Build a memory palace
  • Have as many loci as verses
  • Imagine and encode with story method

Organizing your memory palace, you can have a room per stanza or strophe, so that way it be easier to recall specific parts when desired. You can complicate matters more with a number system to attach a numeric cue image to your verse picture to either number the verses in each strophe or the whole poetry piece.

I would not memory text that I don’t need to recall verbatim this way, if you want to memorize a definition or concept, again use memory palaces and organize them as logical as you need it to then proceed to imagine and image that represents the idea as much as you understand it, encode and hold in your loci.

When encoding any idea, text, number remember that you will be able to recall as you will it, if you picture a dog wit purple hair and it means something to you, you’ll recall that meaning, however as closer the picture is to the idea to memorize, as more details exists to remind you, the clearer and with more fidelity you’ll recall. Again, let’s say a purple haired dog means “sick dog by poisoning” and now you picture that dog eating a giant chocolate bar, that picture could be for a line “A sick dog by poisoning is a dog that eats chocolate”, the only reason that you’ll remember it is because you make the association by using your will or whatever you call it. So you have two options for memorizing either you make an image as relative to the idea to memorize or just will an association to an unrelated picture, however always you have to will the “association” or you’ll forget faster in the future.

TL;DR

Examples of encoding non verbatim but different accuracy:

Text: Annabel Lee by Edgar Allan Poe, first strophe

It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of Annabel Lee;
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

These are pictures would they be put in loci of a memory palace (strong slower way) or interconnect them in an story(poor faster way)

Non verbatim encoding:

1. Many watches in a pool like bucket. (Whole verse)
  2. A crown on the sand of a beach (Whole verse)
  3. From a crown emerges a beautiful young woman (That a maiden there lived), then her belly grows (whom / womb) and she looks at you firmly (you may know). [It makes sense to me]
  4. Anne Hathaway giving a bell to Bruce Lee. (Whole verse)
  5. A woman aging fast till banish from existence like wind. (Whole verse)
  6. A caricature heart caressing another caricature heart that it’s being caressed by Edgar Allan Poe (Whole verse)

Verbatim encoding (no example because it is tedious and I don’t have a dictionary of images) would be a picture for each word or a single picture with details referencing each word in order, imagine a person that holds an object and other details and you see them from left to right. Very visual, very potent in theory. Not recommended, it is over the top, you can recall by will if you do non verbatim encoding as in the example.

Good luck, happy learning and happy 2020.

2 Likes