Memorising technique of Poem

The Memory Power of a Memorized Poem

Anything you have memorized can be used for memorizing something else.

So, if you have a poem, slogan, or sentence memorized, every word (in that poem or slogan) is just waiting to be used to help you memorize more stuff.

For example, 13 words in a sequence (order) can hold a deck of cards… and by using the peg and link systems together, you can memorize 2 decks using only 13 WORDS.

The key is to turn every word that has been memorized into something that can be seen or touched (tangible, concrete).

Now for the fun. Below, is part of the poem MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB. I knew this when I was 5. That was about a century ago (lol). I will use only the first 13 words.

Mary had a little lamb,
Its fleece was white as snow;
And everywhere
that Mary went
The lamb was sure to go.

Here’s my procedure:

1)Visual Memory Environment… In my mind’s eye I create a Visual Memory Environment where this poem or sequence of words takes place. It may be as simple as seeing Mary in a meadow with her lamb. Nothing complicated, just a place that separates this poem from others that you will use for other memory feats.

2)Tangitize (my word for making seen) every word where needed, in the poem. Every intangible word has a Substitute Word.

Here are the Substitute Words I came up with:

MARY = someone I know named Mary
HAD = HAT (big Lincoln HAT)
A = Visual “A” looks like an oil derrick
LITTLE = LIGHTER(a cigaret LIGHTER with a huge flame)
LAMB = LAMB
ITS = HITS (a big 1950’s jukebox playing HITS)
FLEECE = POLICE (maybe a police headquarters)
WAS = WASP (a wasp nest that I’ve actually seen)
WHITE = Visual “Y” looks like a sling shot
AS = ASS (Donkey)
SNOW = SNOW (maybe a Snowman holding a broom)
AND = HAND (the big HAND of Uncle Sam pointing at me)
EVERYWHERE = AVIARY WERE (short for WEREWOLF). I see an aviary full of werewolves instead of birds.

3)SUB WORD… beginning with the first SUB WORD, I see it (in my mind) in the Visual Memory Environment in step #1. This one is easy for me because it is MARY (my mother)standing in front of her house (that is in the middle of the Visual Memory Environment).

4)Create 4 pegs (memory positions) on each of the SUB WORDS. I do this by starting at the Top of the SUB, then Right Side of SUB, then Bottom of SUB, and finally, Left Side of SUB.

Example: Since I’m including MARY’s house, in which I am familiar, I start at the Top on the ROOF for peg 1 (or position #1), Right Side patio for peg 2 (pos #2), the Bottom is the front door for peg 3 and Left Side is the garage for peg 4 (or position #4).

Remember, I start at the top and read like a clock.

I do this with every SUBSTITUTE WORD.

5)HANG…Now all I do is hang what I want to remember on the pegs by association.

I can put 2 cards on each of the 4 positions by placing the first one on the peg and linking the second to the first card.

Another important thing for me is to have a clear mind’s eye view of my SUBSTITUTE WORDS and a constant awareness of the VISUAL ENVIRONMENT.

There are a few more things that help in this process but this is getting too long.

So, if you know 10 Mother Goose poems or whatever, that should give you about 20 decks of cards to play with.

Good memories allow me to re-experience the joy of the past and are a pathway for the future.

Thanks for your time.

www.garylanier.com

4 Likes