Memorising a whole score?

I need help.

Am at a top conservatoire in London and I have a crazy conducting teacher, not unreasonably I think he wants us to learn, off by heart, the score that we are conducting. This means that in class he will bark, why note are the horns playing on the second beat of bar eight. This guy does not mess around.

So, I need a way to memorise the separate lines of music visually, so I could write out a score. This also has to do with memorising the music itself, as an aid to jog the notation. I’m sure there must be a sensible way to do this, and if anyone knows it it’s you guys…

I’m counting on you

Thanks

L

Really really begging for help on this, even if it was just todo g a way to visualise the score itself by memory

Please please please please please

Thanks (please)

I have never studied or memorized music myself, but have seen a couple posts here previously regarding it. Here is a couple I found by simply typing “music” into the search box at the top of the page.

I don’t know how to perform this feat, but I imagine that it would take a very good understanding of music theory as well as a lot of repetition listening to and playing each line in the piece.

I used to play guitar, but I don’t have formal training in music theory. I listen to a lot of Baroque music – another one of my sites is BaroqueGuitar.com. I try to make images for patterns that I hear repeatedly in the music. Unfortunately, I can’t play guitar anymore because of hand injuries, but if I could play I would take a more systematic approach to creating images for repeating patterns. Maybe I would create a few hundred patterns. Having a name or image for something makes it easier to remember than trying to memorize with simple repetition.

This sounds a bit like overkill, if you’re going to be expected to do this, then I’m not sure what the point of having the score in front of you is. Back when I used to play, all of the conductors I had would have the score in front of them.

But, if you must be able to memorize the scores like that, then I think this is probably a more or less text book example of what memory palaces are for. Especially those super long ones that Metivier is always going on about in his books. AFAIK, he has yet to do one specifically on music, but seeing as he is a musician, I’m sure he could write one if there was sufficient interest to justify it.

I’m not going to reinvent the wheel here, but I would recommend that you consider doing a separate journey for each part and not worry too much about coordinating them together at first. I remember from when I used to play that I’d have the basic score commited to memory before too long, and I’d use that to make sure I was keeping on top of the beat and in sync with what everybody else was doing.

As a pianist and someone who picks up on melodies and notes somewhat quickly, I have never really used memory palaces to memorize a score. However, I’m sure it could be helpful. One technique that I picked up in high school to memorize and visualize the pieces that I’d play was to create elaborate conversations and dialogue between the melody and the accompaniment. The most elaborate story I thought up was for the first movement from Grieg’s Piano Concerto. It contained Viking men going out to fight elves in England while their wives pined for them back in the mountains and fjords of Norway. I made an operatic scene out of the entire movement, in a sense.

I’m sure this technique could be combined wonderfully with some sort of memory palace.