Learning Language Via Any Movie/Show/Game (Method of Loci -> Method of Time Sequence)

I watched a movie while reading some vocab words, and each vocab word got pinned to each scene of the movie.

Needless to say, it was extremely effective and effortless.

Method of Loci uses location, but movies can also be used instead as a time sequence. Works even better.

“Think back to the first scene… what word were you reading? how did you visualize it?” As long as you’re paying attention to both the movie and word and constantly reviewing what you just saw, it sticks well. You end up memorizing the whole movie in order as well.

Can also use with videogames.

2 Likes

Interesting idea. I will add a link to this page from the wiki.

hmm,

I am liking this idea alot.

Next time I watch a movie I will try to learn maybe 20 or so pieces of vocab and maybe 5 phrases. Doesn’t sound too ambitious but after 10 movies you would have a good chunk of vocab.

Just need to select a language now :slight_smile:

Think I’ll try German,

regards,

Sea

Great ideas.

Very good!

voy ha intentarlo com mis peliculas favoritas - i am going to try with my favorite movies …thanks… :slight_smile:

Your idea is REALLY Good. I ask myself if you undertand its potencial! I will try it hier and now, and i’ve got MANY expectations.

You solved 4 problems of memory pallace at once:

1. the “clarity” of images. They will come in HD from external stimulus.
  2. the “time” incentive: it is a film, and its not cool to keep pausing it.
  3. it will directly relate the images to emotional feelings, since it’s aesthetic.
  4. It will be even less boring to memorise words.

I used google street for some time, exactly trying to solve these problems, but your insight is far away better.

Congratulations, I will try it now, but I’m quise sure that your insight can make some important changes in the field or mnemotechnics and languages if well used.

i’ve tried your idea in many different areas in the last days.

By my results, my conclusion is that films aren’t good, because they do not have perfectly linear structures.

Then I tried thinking about anything, that had such linear structures and I remembered that child’s game, “Pokemon Snap”. In this game, you go through the maps in a small train, taking pictures, and the scenarios progressively change over the time. I got a video on youtube and used it to memorise some words. The experiment was a total success.

I have done some experimenting with movies in the last 3 months and still use them it works but is limited.
One of the things that I noticed is that very often in my head the sequence was different then in the actual movie.
This was because there would be a scene in between two others that I would skip or I though would come later or forgot all about it.

For a small memory palace it worked very well for me but if I wanted to have 105 stations /pegs it would become kind of hard to get this job done in one movie. Now I noticed if I only pick clear scenes there would be no problems but I would get close to maybe 50 stations per movie. When I use movies and use micro stations I make screen caps of a scene with more then one station so I end up with let’s say 15 pictures but they have different stations. For me it’s very important that the scene’s are different so that not any scene has the same characters in it that would confuse me to much. for other people this maybe is not a problem.

One thing I did with one movie was to use all the facial features too that way I got more stations out of the movie but it got a bit confusing sometimes and is more an advanced technique. For those who wonder why bother with movies I can answer that with there are a lot of them. It’s so easy to create a small memory palace this way. If I would be in the game of memorizing small stuff only like grammar or like Thai particles movies are enough. I have used them to remember important sentences here and there and it works.
For me at this moment there is nothing that beats a clear route that I actually have walked it just sticks after one go.
The downside is it takes more effort to come up with new routes. I now use multiple techniques and basically have plenty of memory palaces this way. I only wish my skills in coming up with mnemonics would increase but practice makes perfect so I stick with using memory palaces and routes because it works really well :slight_smile:

https://sites.google.com/site/r30mnemo/organizing-information
See my webpage where I show the true potential of combining [movie scenes, gavino’s MMP system].

I memorize mainly math and memorizing the equations requires a huge amount of stations. Getting all the loci from real world would be too hard, so I too use movie scenes.

1. Yes, and another aspect is that when you rewatch the scenes you see them from exactly the same point of view. When placing info to real loci your point of view might change (e.g. first looked your kitchen table from front and placed a mental picture, let’s say a DVD on table; when revisiting you looked the table from side and forgot what you placed on the table, because the bacground that reminds you the image of DVD isn’t the same any more).

2. Definitely cooler to use movie scenes rather than real loci. They are even so cool, that suddenly instead of storing info at movie scene you start to wonder about the movie: “Why did it end like this?” or “That actor is so cool at this scene” or “I’d like to be a superman also”. It has happened to me and it distracts me from doing the mnemowork i’m supposed to :smiley:
    So, sometimes cooler and emotional is better, but sometimes less emotional doesn’t distract you.

Paulo is right: time sequence doesn’t beat 3D structure. It’s very hard to recall all the scenes in the right order just by recalling the plot. But fortunately there is a solution for it using Gavino’s Massive Memory Palace Technique. Just pick an existing journey you have and at each locus put a movie scene. You can do it at the same time you watch the movie or afterwards (I recommend the first, this way you won’t forget the scenes meanwhile). I use computer game maps to memorize and structurize the movie scenes.

The best way to organize your scenes would not be by following the plot but following the actors: select one of the main actors and make a linear journey of him/her. Then another actor, and third actor. You’ll get 3-5 journeys. It’s easier to remember What was the next scene with this actor present? rather than What was the next scene?.

And another advantage of this structure is that you can use an actor’s journey to remember info about some concept. E.g. if you want to memorize information about coffee beans, then you can let Gandalf (Ian Mckellen) symbolize the coffee beans and at each scene where he is present use another actors to attach information about coffee beans (see my webpage with pictures).

scene1: the council of Elrond: Boromir (Sean Bean) takes out Brazilian flag and then hits Gandalf with football, Gandalf starts sobbing and escapes the council (meaning that the largest exporter of coffee is Brazil).
scene2: The Bridge of Khazad-Dum. Balrog is in flames and hits Gandalf with his flaming sword, Gandalf expands his magical lighting-sphere around him, (meaning that coffee beans are roasted during the production, due to which they expand and chemical structure changes.)
scene3: Gandalf the White reveals himself to Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas. These three fellows mistook Gandalf for Saruman and crushed him with all their strength. Gimli takes the powder that’s left of Gandalf, puts it into sack and adds the sack to hot water (the consuming stage of coffee).

The repetition of a character is especially useful in maths, when we want to remember similar equations where the parameters tend to repeat (e.g. Gandalf could symbolize the same parameter at each equation).

See my behind-front technique for more examples of this kind of journeys.

Sounds pretty cool and you are right about following just one actor and then go back and do the same with other actors. I will play a bit with it because I always need more memory palaces.

Thanks for explaining this technique