Is this a solid way to learn 1,000s of Bible verses?

Hey Steve,

To answer your last question first, I think that if you try hard enough you can absolutely make this work. The main problems I have seen in my own attempt in this and also possibly in yours, is expanding palaces into the future. I think the thing that keeps coming up in my mind is you have to know exactly how many verses you want to memorize over the course of your life to create enough memory palaces for all of them. That, or you have a sizable margin of error built-in to each memory palace to allow for future growth.

Unfortunately I think 73 loci would be quite a stretch to fit into one room. I suppose if it is a room you know realllllly well you could do it and basically go microscopic, making each corner in the drawer of a dresser a loci and then have several drawers and so on.
Ultimately, I think it might be less cognitive load to choose an entire house as one palace for one book. If you think of friends’ houses and stuff I think you would have enough. I am honestly no expert on memory palaces but I believe that from my POV the best way to go about this would be to first focus on Matthew. Memorize every single verse you want to in Matthew, leave 10-20 open spots for extra verses, and then move on to the next book. Otherwise, I could see myself at least burning out in putting so much work in creating 66 memory palaces all upfront with no visible return in effort, at least immediately. Does that make sense?

Best,

Brennan

Hi Brennan,
I see what you mean (about putting one book into one room). Matthew wouldn’t be too bad to put into one house (28 loci). I think that I would have to subdivide some rooms though and / or use cupboards / wardrobes and hallways / landings to make up to the 28: would using one loci for two books cause complications do you think? How would I subdivide the room in a way that would preclude confusion? I’d have to get more creative for Psalms though…

I had a watch of this video.

The guy seems to think that one could - potentially - hold info at a number of places within a room (which would thus give me room to add more at a later date if I make each loci relating to one chapter).

Here’s another one that I found interesting (a memory palace could be a journey (if you know it well enough) for example):

Before I started all of this memory research, I did get to the end of learning what I wanted to in the four Gospels (a mixture of verses, section headings etc., but over 200 entries in total). However, I found that I began to get confused as to which verse applied to which Gospel (especially since the Synoptic Gospels contain much of the same material) hence my journey that has lead me to this moment.

Have you used the peg system? (info I found interesting here: The Memory Institute - The Peg System (or Hook System))

Steve.

Hey again,

Life’s been busy.

I watched both of those videos and I think that what you are considering is a smart workaround – Leaving the middles of rooms and some more obscure places in case you want to come back and fill in more verses down the road. I personally haven’t used the peg system much so I can’t speak to how effective/ineffective it is, what were you planning on using it for?

Brennan

Hi Brennan,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. :+1:

I am just wondering if it would be better for me to use the Peg System rather than the Dominic System for the verse numbers. So, for example, 16 could be a dish (1 = t or d & 6 = j, ch, sh or g & the ‘i’ is a filler to make the word).
I could then link the dish with the main theme or word of the verse, so for John 3:16, I could have a globe rolling around on the dish (for example).

I am just trying to work out what will be the strongest and most effective way of reliably learning 1000,s of verses BEFORE I start. :grin:

What do you think? Peg or Dominic?

God bless,
Steve.

Hi Steve,

I hope you’ll excuse the nearly month late reply. If you haven’t already decided:

I am unsure what you mean by the peg system exactly. I know what the peg system is, but how are you relating it to numbers? Are you referring to 1 = bun, 2 = shoe etc and just rhyming for single digits?

I personally use the dominic/major system and I think it would be fine to use.

Hi Brennan,
No problemo - I actually haven’t moved forward any further on this yet as work has been super-busy. :+1:
What I meant was the phonetic use of the peg system, So:
0 = z, s, c (soft)
1 = t or d
2 = n
3 = m
4 = r
5 = l
6 = j, ch, sh, g (soft)
7 = k, c (hard), g (hard)
8 = v, f, ph
9 = b or p

Does that make better sense?

Thank you again,
Steve.

I guess I would just call that the Major System, but yes, that’s how I would do it.

1 Like

Steve,
I’m a teacher by trade and a Christian and grabbed a hold of the thorny problem of memorizing Scripture about three years ago. After several combinations and improvements on my system I would ramp up to recall about 100 full text verses and then let it decay to see how well it stuck. I’d be happy to help out from my experience. I’m currently writing a book on my System 7711 with all the important lessons I’ve gained with exercises and principles that help to judge the benefits of one technique over another for the memory purpose you have.

Personally, I like the Major (phonetic) system for any digit to image conversion. Having one system to encode the chapter and verse numbers as well as for other purposes keeps my memory system overhead low. The Major system is also the most common system so that other people will be able to play along. I select reusable pegs that are relevant for chapters but pegs that are easy for verse numbers.

Let me know if I can help out.
Doug

1 Like

Hi Doug,

Do you follow the key-word approach generally?

When memorizing chapters, I’ve found that works best for me is to read the chapter a bunch, create a memory palace for that chapter with 2-3 keywords per verse (1 verse per locus), and then for verses that I still struggle with, I’ll use the first letter method (see above thread) to help chunk it together and make it stick. What do you think of this approach? Could you suggest any improvements you’ve been able to make or things that have helped you?

Brennan

Hi Doug,
Thank you for making contact and your reply. :slight_smile:
If you have the time, please would you read the initial post (and perhaps speed read the rest) and let me know your thoughts in relation to the method that you use. I expect to be looking at many 100s (or even into the 1000’s) of verses and am looking for a resilient, reliable and expandable system.

Thank you and God bless,
Steve.

Greetings, Steve. I am on a similar mission, and found your post. I too started by attempting to create a 66-room memory palace. But then I realized it would probably be easier with fewer rooms. There are 39 books in the Christian old testament and 27 books in the new testament. If you want to go even further, the bible is divided into the Torah (5 books), the Nevi’im (21 books), the Gospels (5 books), etc. I think these divisions will be much easier than a 66-room palace. But I’m just starting out!

I also have a visual for each book of the bible. Here are a few:
Genesis → The Genesis Torpedo from Star Trek II
Exodus → Bob Marley singing “Exodus”
Leviticus → A pair of LEVIs jeans, CUTting you with a knife
Numbers → The Count from Sesame Street

Don’t steal any of these!!!

-Cass

1 Like

Steve (and Brennan),

Thanks for the inquiries. I didn’t know whether anyone would be that interested but I’m encouraged by your posts. May God bless you in your studies.

Palaces are a great way to create bigger granularities that can be decomposed so naturally with the several levels of information that needs to be encoded in the Bible, you need several levels of granularity.

My system uses a palace for each book in the Bible using relevant imagery from that book if possible. (Genesis = Garden of Eden) The one main thing that I do differently from other palace memory masters is I don’t use a very familiar personal journey or building. I just don’t remember that much and the detail I recall is poor. Maybe that’s a blessing as a teacher, maybe not. I let the information take on a life of their own and create their own palace.

I need reinforcement often. So the books are linked by a story line with as much relevant imagery as possible and reinforced by numeric order so I can traverse the book names forwards and backwards as well as show off a little to future students by naming books by number. Adam and Eve walk into Pharoah’s palace to play a game of tic-tac-toe (see if you can guess why) on their knees (another link to the Major system).

Books are further broken up into chapters which require their own “room” or locus which are also what I call bottom up palace creation as opposed to the top down palace structure creration where you decide the palace first and then populate it with loci/locations. So I browse through my list of peg words, select one closest to the book’s theme and then create the story line afterwards. I need the extra chapter peg reinforcement. That allows me to traverse chapters back and forth, visualize the start of verses I’ve memorized there, and tie in important events. I add information on the fly when I listen to sermons easily that way.

Most books require subdivision of the story into different scenes. Matthew starts out in a university building for math on a bench where I used to study a little before going in to class but after that it loses most of the personal touches. You follow the path from the foyer and patio where students are smoking when it switches scenes to a meeting with the dean (Matthew 12).

I just completed my list of New Testament book palaces, chapter scenes, and chapter pegs, a total of 262 chapters. They are surprisingly easy to remember now after writing down the story line and making the objects interrelate along the lines of a relevant story either by internal content or book palace content.

Then you have the verse number. I’m leaning towards the easiest peg you can think of quickly there but sometimes you need a few alternatives. Then because of my poor memory I need to find a way to do almost a word by word story for my verse. I’m sure other people don’t need as many images converted from the text but I pick out the important words and then the words that I forget and have to patch up later to embellish the story.

Here’s a rough example without all my little patches I need. I have an large vertical outdoors smokers’ ash receptacle (Matthew 6) that has spilled over ashes on to a student’s mumu (verse 33). The foreign student also wears a turban like a Sikh who leads me down to a king’s castle I can see in the distance where people listen to the Righteous Brothers on earpods. They throw balls that they are given into a well.

Sometimes I use acronyms, sometimes close approximations of words I call fuzzynyms (mondegreens), and other tricks to lessen the load of imagery.

I started out without a full plan and it failed as the number of images increased. So I created the structure of the palaces which seem to be holding together well for long term memory.

That’s the overview of my system. Hope this helps.

Doug

1 Like

Brennan,

I hope I covered your question in my recent response to Steve. I thought that your question about using keywords was for verbatim word memorization. I use a multiplicity of techniques for that and tend to judge their effectiveness by how long between reviews I can go before it starts fading out. Let me know if you have other questions.

Doug

Cassie,

I saw your post and thought that you really had a gigantic goal that I could help out with from my experiences. I always like to encourage anyone memorizing anything concerning the Bible. The big question I had to answer first was what my goal was. Memorizing the order of the books is easy. Putting significant themes with them is a little harder. But my goal was to get very granular so I could recite the verse verbatim when hearing the book, chapter, and verse number. I really backed off my impossible task when my review time consumed all of my time to keep verses in memory and looked for better ways which I described in another post recently.

I have very important principles which I believe result in a better success including making things more relevant instead of just personalizing it. So I’ll share my first five palaces for your comparison.

Genesis - Garden of Eden
Exodus - Pharoah’s palace (playing X’s and O’s)
Leviticus - The Hebrew tabernacle (vestments are Levi jackets and jeans)
Numbers - The tent encampment, each one with a number.
Deuteronomy - column of fire like a nuclear power plant (deuterium)

I’m very new to this forum so will appreciate hearing from you and learning from each other.

Doug

1 Like

Hi Doug,
Thank you fior you reply (and so sorry for taking so long to reply!)

Is their any particular method (secret) to remembering made up palaces as I was going to use palaces like the one below (so that I could review if I needed to + since there are many articles in the rooms, I can add a verse here and there quite easily (how do you add in new verses?):

Would you mind outlining your whole journey & methods for perhaps 2 Peter (only 3 chapters) so that I can see how you make the different methods work together please?

Thank you so much… :slight_smile:

God bless,
Steve.

Steve,

No bother to wait. I always have something to work with it seems with improving the memory system I use.

For temporary recall I believe that a multi-purpose palace is a good thing because you want something you can clean out between uses and create weak associations to your information. But for long-term recall, one that has relevancy to your subject matter is very important because it will increase your associations to the information providing better links to it.

I call these either a top-down or a bottom-up approach to palace or path creation. (The path is one of four types of linked list storage in my 7711 system.) The Titanic virtual tour video you selected will dictate how your associations are made which will make you struggle with images and force bizarre associations which are good for short-term memory but not so much for long-term memory (at least from the research I’ve read. I’m open to discussion.)

If you were to use the Titanic as your palace, you would need a traversal method to use for finding your way around, as all paths need an ordered way to move from location to location. My way would be to draw out a map and then write a story about why the character you have chosen would be moving from room to room. The room/area itself is the palace location and can be decoded as either another path or an object. Object traversals have quite a few more types and can be split many times over to create a dense storage area if needed.

My Bible system is for long-term storage and uses a kind of bottom-up approach to tailor the information for relevancy. @LynneKelly repurposes her walk around her house for many types of info but I want a permanent single-purpose place for the Bible. The chapter locations are Major system pegs which suggest scenes and relate to the book images I started my system with.

The book of 2 Peter starts off entering a Swiss convent, chosen as a type of church that was in a high spot as opposed to 1 Peter which was in a low elevation.

• Chapter 1 - Swinging wrought iron gates outside a scenic mountain convent open to a sprawling complex (no peg is used for first chapters and an entrance of some sort is substituted).
  • Chapter 2 - The convent has an attached inn serving muesli for breakfast on wooden table and benches.
  • Chapter 3 - Mother Superior (aka ma) leads the prayer before the breakfast meal for all the youth staying there.

There aren’t enough chapters to create a scene change as there are in other books. I found three to five chapters would create a scene. Then your verse number would be a Major system peg that was easy to recall and link into the story of the chapter. I haven’t memorized a verse from that book yet but I have one to do. It’s 2 Peter 3:9. The story would involve a peg for Mother Superior praying and may be a bee annoying her during her prayer, a boy running in to her, or her standing and falling off of a pew.

If you chose the boy running in to her, you would start your verse story substitutions with him being chased by a rich homeowner (the Lord) not being slow and catching him at a castle (keep) that he has to cross his heart at (the promise). This is sketchy since I haven’t put this one to memory but it shows you the method I use. I use and reuse quite a few custom dictionary substitutions between common words and useful images.

I hope this helps out and feel free to tell me your progress on if this is useful.
Doug

2 Likes

Hi Doug,
Thank you once again for taking the time to give such a full reply. :slight_smile:

I’m gonna be heading away from home for about 3 months soon, so might have to pick this all up and get started when I return, but thank you in advance for letting me get back to you if I need some more help or advice.

God bless you loads,
Steve.

Steve,

Enjoy your time away! I will still be here I think because I enjoy the experiences people have with using their memory. As a teacher, I am slowly putting together info and exercises for a memory training course, mostly because I enjoy organizing and understanding it. Maybe I’ll have it done by the time you get back.

God bless you, Doug

1 Like

Thank you Doug,
If you do complete the course, I would love to have a read. Actually, I have done quite a bit of proof-reading in the past, so if you want someone to go through it (checking for grammar, sentence structure, spelling mistakes and layout discrepancies) before you go ‘live’, I am happy to go through it. :+1::slight_smile:

God bless you and stay safe,
Steve.

That’s very kind of you Steve. It’s what I would call a first draft stage with 30,000 words so far. I hope you are ready for a challenge! Much of it is my own experiences so there will be “lots to learn.”

God bless you, Doug

1 Like