Is it me or are the memory techniques slow as a snail?

greetings! there is this very serious problem/flaw (in my opinion) with the memory techniques like the ones in ‘unlimited memory book by kevin horsly’, the major system and many more systems. it takes a lot of time to remember any long answers of physics, biology, chemistry, islam, urdu (i study in FBISE board) .
please observe the following:

@ physics;its got numbers, symbols, formulas, definitions, explainations, diagrams, complicated names, tables…

@ biology; its got complicated names(like Antherozoids), diagrams, long paragraphs of answers, tabels with a 10-30 word sentence in every cell, …

you see…a mountain of highly sophsticated data, facts and figures which is different for each subject.

my concerns (if you will) are:
1)different types of data requires different techniques to convert it into pictures which wll be used in the @ memorypalace
2)it takes a lot of time to first make a list of keywords, dates, formulas(subject specific data) .Then convert them into individual images. then place those into a @ memorypalace. then go through this whole thing after its completion.And 3 hrs have passed by for just ONE long question of ONE subject.

am i just born too @ slow ?am i using memory techniques wrong?is there something i’m missing here?

i would love to discuss this anytime with you

1 Like

In terms of the length of review:

I think it depends on how focused your mind is.

Reviewing a memory palace might take 6 minutes if I am reviewing it on the computer. 10 minutes if I am doing it on a meditation cushion, 20 minutes if I am doing it while exercising, 45 minutes if I am doing it while cleaning. etc.

Adding 20 new loci a day for long term is probably my limit.

Compared to Anki/SuperMemo - for learning - adding 100 new cards a day is a full time job. (Because you have to review the old cards). 100 Anki cards is probably like 25 memory palace loci. (as Loci can hold more information).

1 Like
(Josh Cohen) #3

I think of memory techniques as a supplement to regular studying, not a replacement. I don’t think you would want to put every single thing you learn into a memory journey, and you’ll still have to study and review. If you have a lot of facts or lists of things to memorize, that’s when you might pull the method of loci out of your toolbox.

Here are a few examples:

You might also want to check out memory palace alternatives and Boris Konrad’s TEDx talk on education.

3 Likes

I find it useful to focus on development of habits, independently of concrete things I want to remember. For instance, the habit of walking through a memory palace, the habit of associating words to images, the habit of recalling the word through the images, the habit of recalling information through the various loci, converting letters to numbers and viceversa.
If I do not practice any of these for a long time, I will lose the speed. So, it is useful to practice not just when I have something concrete to memorize but as a way of staying fit. It is like going to the gym, like training, even if there is no competition in the horizon.

3 Likes

Well looks like im gonna have to rethink and upgrade my memory methods.thanks by the way.

1 Like

OMG! thanks josh, i never even looked up anything like this.im gonna try these for long paragraphs of info

1 Like