Is anyone here interested in philosophy?

Is anyone here interested in philosophy? What kinds of philosophy and philosophers are you interested in? What books do you recommend?

(See also: Memorize a Timeline of Western Philosophers.)

9 Likes

I started reading about philosophy from the book around 1990 The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant hence I have to mention it here.

I am interested in the philosophy written by J. Krishnamurthy one of the eastern Philosophers,

4 Likes

What is “philosophy”? Is that similar to “socks” or “marmalade”?

2 Likes

8 Likes

Hey Josh,

I am interested in philosophy, too.

I haven’t read a philosophy book, yet, but through the internet I found some interesting philosophers I like.

I would recommend Friedrich Nietzsche, Socrates, Marcus Aurelius, Plato, Epicurus.

I love stoicism and the concept of an Overman.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Yours Sincerely.

3 Likes

I’ve read part of that and remember liking it a lot.

I’ll check it out. That Wikipedia article is interesting — it mentions Ernest Wood, who wrote a book called Mind and Memory where he claimed to have created the Major System.

(Francis Fauvel Gouraud and Aimé Paris published descriptions of the Major System before Ernest Wood though.)

I’ve read Marcus Aurelius’ Meditations a couple of times and it was very influential for me. There was one attributed quote I heard as a teenager that changed my life, though I haven’t been able to find the exact wording in Meditations: “It is not dying that a man should fear, but a man should fear never having lived at all.” It gave me the mental strength that I needed to attempt this, and I started collecting a lot of useful quotes after that.

For Plato/Socrates, I’ve only read The Republic so far. I’ll check out the others you mentioned.

3 Likes

I am very interested in philosophy but I haven’t come across many works or philosophers which suit my style really. Perhaps I just haven’t searched enough.

I do find Kant somewhat interesting, the perspective on synthesis to analysis as a distinction is somewhat thought provoking.

2 Likes

I am also interested in philosophy. I took classes on general philosophy and philosophy of law at the Law School. I have studied Plato, Aristotle, Wittgenstein, and Habermas, to mention a few.

As a former yoga teacher, I am interested in Indian thought as well, especially in the Upanishads.

I often enjoy reading articles on The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy and The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

Concerning Stoicism, I like to read the works of the Modern Stoicism group. They have just run The Stoic Week, a 7-day course with daily reflections upon Seneca, Epictetus, and Marcus Aurelius. They provide guided meditations too.

I am also interested in Logic and Epistemology, but I am not taking the proper time to study these subjects. About Logic, I would probably refer to Dov Gabbay.

Regarding memorization projects, I am wondering about applying the techniques to summaries of easy-to-read books like:

• A Rulebook for Arguments, by Anthony Weston
  • Zeno and the Tortoise: How to Think Like a Philosopher, by Nicholas Fearn
  • Breakfast with Socrates, by Robert Rowland Smith

For a more ambitious project, I would try to memorize the entries of The Oxford Companion to Philosophy, edited by Ted Honderich.

And about further recommendations, I appreciate The Daily Idea blog, which offers well-organized lists of books, articles, and podcasts related to philosophy. You will also receive one philosophical quote a day if you subscribe to their newsletter.

6 Likes

Philosophy is a huge topic. I’ve studied Indian philosophy a lot - especially about the nature of suffering and liberation from it. Currently, I’m reading about the philosophy of sound; eg everyone says shh to calm a crying baby because that sound creates peace.

3 Likes

As in Vedas, Brahman/Atman, Bhagavad Gita, …? I’m curious what is considered Indian philosophy.

When you say “everybody”… is that everybody everybody or just what the authors consider everybody? Just saying, Ouch is Au(a) in German is Aïe in French… same for shhh, being pst in German and chut in French. But are onomatopoeic words still a matter of philosophy?

1 Like

Yes, the philosophy of India including Yoga, Upanishads, Vedanta.

Different cultures will use different words to describe things, but the sounds are universal. Ouch, autsch, aïe all begin with “ah.” This is the sound of exclamation - like aha! So if the Japanese use a different sound for ouch, it doesn’t mean that ah is not an exclamation.

Hush, shush, shhh in English. Shanti in Sanskrit. Stille in German. Chut in French. The words are different but the sound is common.

I first learnt about this from a book on Sanskrit mantras and I noticed the meaningful use of these sounds in English. For a long time I wanted to know more and recently I discovered Rudolf Steiner’s work. His work on the sounds of language is written in German and translated into English - but that makes no difference because the sounds are universal.

2 Likes

I wonder if there are biological reasons. Humans vocalize when in pain and that vowel (“ah” or “uh”) might be the most natural position for the mouth muscles under that kind of stress.

That’s interesting. Is it also common outside of Indo-European languages? Maybe humans naturally discovered that white noise (“shhh”) quiets babies, and it got its meaning from that.

I wonder what the word is in languages that don’t have a “sh” sound, like Hawaiian.

Edit: sorry, I just scrolled up and saw that you already mentioned that (“eg everyone says shh to calm a crying baby because that sound creates peace.”) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You can find more great onomatopoeia and with fun illustrations from him.

2 Likes

Yes, biology is important. The position of the tongue and lips to make the sound indicate something of the nature of the sound. For example, to make the sound “pa” you have to close your lips, let the air build up and then suddenly release it. It’s like a little explosion.

When drops of water hit the ground, what sound do they make? Pa, pa, pa. They explode on impact. So in English the word peace, beginning with an explosive p, doesn’t accurately represent the thing itself. But the word shanti does.

Sounds extend beyond human languages. What sound does a car engine make? It is rumbling, revving, roaring. That’s the quality of R. ie the meaning of the sounds is found by listening to nature and the world around us.

One of the practical uses of this knowledge is if you want to increase or decrease a quality in your personality then you can work with the appropriate sounds. This is partly how mantras help heal the psyche.

3 Likes

I did not make the shh sound when my children were little because the shh sound irritates me at an irrational level. Maybe it is a sound that calms everyone except me. I make a conscious effort to remain polite and not speak viciously when someone shushes near me.

3 Likes

I just now did a browser search and it looks like “The Church of the Subgenius” is still a thing. Philosophy is interesting to read, different and often mutually exclusive ideas and “philosophies” provide me with many interesting avenues of thought.

I read somewhere that Friedrich Nietzsche kept notebooks, sometimes skipping around such that his notes were not sequential. I should probably read some Nietzsche. I read one translation of the Bhagavad-Gîtâ (Celestial Song) and I read one translation of the Tao Te Ching ( Book of the Way). After reading a little Plato, I began to wonder whether Socrates was illiterate. Yes, yes, we all know Socrates spoke and engaged in dialectic with his regularly gathered listeners, but I didn’t find anything saying he wrote anything. I read somewhere that the Upanishads were written as attempts to put into words that which could not be logically described. The few translated Upanishads I’ve read seem to presume the reader is familiar with the (older) Vedas. I should read the entire Mahabharata (thanks for reminding me).

There was a very good book I read a year or so ago, it was a studied written work examining existentialism. I enjoyed the book, until I noticed uncomfortable philosophical historical events as similar to some current events (frightening stuff). The book was: At The Existentialist Cafe: Freedom, Being And Apricot Cocktails.

1 Like

A lot of people now get philosophy from podcasts and audio books. Many people don’t like reading, or don’t have the time, but can digest conversations.

1 Like

I doubt that… did you just shush me?!? is a pretty common expression. I also find the sound more annoying than soothing

1 Like

All sounds can be used in a harsh way, but that is different to the sound itself.

I read in my book yesterday that sh is actually a destructive sound - as in Shiva the destroyer of suffering. You’d only use it when a baby is making a lot of noise and you want that noise to go away.

So if someone shushes you they are trying to silence you and destroy what you’re expressing.

Not really the case though…

I know there is a trema on the ï, so it should be pronounced separately, but that doesn’t mean it’s pronounced a-ie. In fact the sound is really close to eye or I (me/myself) in English. Or since already on the subject of Japanese… like the second syllable of Itai or the first syllable of the Chinese aiyo.

There is also the “cute” form of it for the little ouchie (a boo boo) which is ouille but unlike English the first two letters are pronounced as in YouTube. The au is a diphthong in German which also makes a sound different from “ah”.

Or look at the German Iiiih to show disgust and the English whee to express delight or exuberance. Same sound but not so similar, really… ultimately, those “sounds of exclamations” usually involve almost only vowels (except for expletives like the f-word) and are restricted to just one syllable… and there is only a handful of vowels to go around.

see above