Inducing Savant like skills with Magnets

PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT RECOMMENDING ANYONE TRY THIS. IT IS ALMOST CERTAINLY FOOLISH TO SELF ADMINISTER ELECTRICITY OR MAGNETIC FIELDS TO YOUR BRAIN…

The immediate effect appears to wear off after an hour but one can wonder whether repeated practice might wire up meaningful improvement in the brain or alternately induce related brain damage. :wink:

It is tempting to see if I can find a used MedtronicMagPro magnetic stimulator (Dantec Medtronic), with a 70 mm Butterfly coil (MCFB65).

Has anyone here experimented with Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation or Transcranial direct-current stimulation?

… I couldn’t help myself I ordered a tdcs kit…

let the placebo effect begin…

4 Likes

Please tell us when you can do 5-digit multiplications in your head like a savant :joy:

3 Likes

@albinoblanke Maybe I can just get an implant and google it.

2 Likes

Heard of the reverse, an aspie who after a session with transcraneal yadda yadda started to recognice emotions better. Where’s the big warning about long term damage, unforeseen consequences and/or changes in conduct or personality?

1 Like

John Elder Robison — I think he is from the same town as me. Apparently, it changed his personality.

Please read this before self-experimenting: Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation May Lower IQ Scores

Please be careful.

3 Likes

…and 10 seconds into reading this…

“So, this study is bad news. Yet, the finding makes sense. It means that some of the most sophisticated things the brain can do, in terms of cognition, can’t necessarily be altered with just a constant electric current.”

Frohlich, though, said that using less common alternating current stimulation – so-called tACS – could be a better approach, one that he has been investigating. Earlier this year, Frohlich’s lab found that tACS significantly boosted creativity, likely because he used it to target the brain’s natural electrical alpha oscillations, which have been implicated in creative thought.

…I always like those papers that try to discredit somebody else’s work to promote their own.

Quite frankly, it’s not that it’s illegal, so do whatever you want. It’s also not the case that one drink at a bar will put you on a downward spiral with you losing your job, your house, etc. Now if somebody thinks they should use tDCS 24/7… I’d liken that more to a bottle of vodka in the morning.

My suggestion would be that you read up on how and why it works and which parts of the brain get the upper hand if you slow other parts down and what the effects of that are. Hint: it does matter where you place the + and the - bits.

1 Like

I’m just posting a caution, because I don’t think the full effects are really known yet.

2 Likes

That is true for so many other things too though… I think we can expect a little bit of common sense from people… [insert McDonalds sued for serving hot coffee joke here]… and the title Popular electric brain stimulation method used to boost brainpower is detrimental to IQ scores is 100% clickbait considering it says right in the article:

[…] participants who did not receive tDCS saw their IQ scores increase by ten points, whereas participants who received tDCS saw their IQ scores increase by just shy of six points, on average.

So when they retook the same WAIS IQ test, one went up by 10 points and the other only by 6… how detrimental

Plus, they note that fluid intelligence was down… funny because that’s the whole point of tDCS.

I am so excited for neurolink. Most people don’t like the idea of a chip in their brain but the potential benefits could be amazing. Maybe that could be a way for people to develop savant-like skills, I would finally fit in :slight_smile: :joy:

2 Likes

Who would want that if that thing basically allows you to learn how to control artificial limbs. Get two additional bionic arms and work with four hands at the same time… that’s the way to go with this technology.

I think a lot of people would like the ability to learn incrediblely fast and have excellent recall while also being a human calculator. Trust me, it makes life a lot easier in a lot of ways :slight_smile: but robot arms also sound awesome :smiley:

sonar, night vision… seriously, you can learn things that you weren’t capable of learning before. You can become a human calculator without brain implants… that’s a boring use of this tech. :wink:

In The US military, drone operators use electric pulsations to stay focus longer. Ive seen it on a documentary. Instead of losing focus after a couple of hours, simple regurlary emitted pulsations prolonged that to over 10 hours, if I remember correctly.

You could perhaps simply use one of those devices sold for pain??

I wouldnt try alone, it could trigger seizures??

I’m sure everybody would like to just wake up one day and turn their brain chip (:grin:) on and do large calculations and memorize a lot of information without any effort. That is why most people are not learning about memory techniques and calculation tricks/shortcuts, it takes time and effort and for some it might take years to be decent. If I can have robot arms, why the hell wouldn’t I want a robot brain? Lol

Are we talking about an imaginary chip or what the thing they are developing is capable of?

I’m all for people trying this out before I ever think about trying it on myself.

If you use this in Europe where they run 240v residential, do you get twice as smart as if you use it in the US?

3 Likes

Hahah,thanks for the laugh! My TENS does run on 4 aaa batteries alone and power 10 is more than one can endure, so I guess they dont put too much on those sensitive military cortexes. They say its SAFER than modafinil or ritalin, or any drugs sometimes used for this…

1 Like

tDCS - is in the neighbourhood of 2 milliamps at the skin. Originally tested statistically significant results in a DARPA research project.

The Direct Magnetic Stimulation appears to be more like a sledge hammer. They are commonly using it in a similar fashion to electroshock therapy for depression.

The first may be bad scientific method, placebo, small sample size etc. The second certainly has an effect but so does a sharp stick behind the eye or a big rock.

Computer Brain Interface (BCI) is in it’s infancy with the initial practical target being amputees, paraplegics, quads etc where the positive effects may outweigh the risks.

I suspect that for any great effect you would need to wire up babies who are fundamentally 100% plastic. I strongly suspect that brain surgery on babies will not go over very well.

As an output device, chipping the brain is doable although how well controlled or flexible it will be is hard to tell from the marketing. There are a bunch of problems like autoimmune response, delicate wires, drilling a hole in a healthy persons skull. The wiring it up as a robust input device however seems to me the hardest problem to solve.

1 Like

Ahahahahaa!! Oh and another study finds light pain helps. Maybe we should skip the brain foredrilling for now and see what we can do with our feets in freezing water (yes all our feetsss, all for one and one for all!!!) ? For now… Well pick straws for the brain stapling if that doesnt work out. What do you say?!

1 Like