I'm gonna try this system

In a previous post I ranted about the lack of response to some of my brain childs. Hoewever, I just come up with a new system and I feel it is useful to put it in words and I 'm just going to pretend, that there is an audiance that is interested in this as well.

OK, let’s skip the (usual) anecdotal story part and let’s get right to the system.

• memory palace with 100 (2 digit) numbered locations;
  • numbers are read using my New memory system for fast translation of numbers;
    so for example: 22 45 89 21 = noe kas fag ni;
  • every location has an object representing this location;
  • the system works by taking a starting object (I choose the orang-utang) to the first location determinded by the first 2 digits of the number sequence;
  • The object representing this location is than taken to the location determined by the second 2 digits of the number sequence, etcetera.

example: 19 34 02 80 85 (= ig mak on fo fas);
The orang utang is taken to the toilet in the office changing room (19), the toiletbrush (representing the toilet) is taken to the yellow metal information board in the office hallway (34), the (yellow) banana (representing…) is taken to the numberplate of my car outside (02), the actual numberplate (it’s basically an object, so no need to make it more difficult) is taken to the stone stairs leading to the higschool gym (80) and finally a stone brick is taken to the washing machine in my home (85).

Please do not be discouraged by the amount of words I had to use to describe this 10 digit story, but try to visualize it.

Final work on the system:

I’m lucky to already have a numbered memory palace so I have a headstart so to speak. I have not yet decided upon all the objects representing the locations, but the ones that I come up with so far (literally just minutes ago) are super easy to memorise because they are intuitively selected for these locations. I will probably finish the object collection tomorrow.

Training:

The goal of this system is to memorise 100 digits really fast (and maybe also a deck of cards in the future) and this means that I will completely skip the recall part untill I can go trough the motions really fast; recalling in the beginning of the training period is a waste of time (in my estimation) for three reasons:

1. time is better spend memorising (going through the motions of teleporting and object placement);
  2. it gives falls feedback; what is memorable at a low speed may not be memorable at high speed and vice versa;
  3. it will force you to focus (to much) on making memorable connections at the cost of speed, if you find out (and you probably will) that you can not memorise the whole sequence at first trials.

I am more than happy to answer any kind of question related to this method. And please feel free to tell me why you think it’s not going to work.

2 Likes

I find that there’s always something unique already in every location to move to another. I start going randomly from location to location, practicing moving around the objects, then recalling the sequence and only start associating numbers with the given objects and locations when I have gotten as fast as I need to get and succeeding 100% at recalling a sequence with the needed length.

if I don’t make it with the objects already in the palace, I won’t make it with the numbers…

1 Like

In some of my locations it is not practical to move (part of) it, like the yellow information board in the example I used; it’s better to move a banana (chosen for it’s yellow color) to represent that location.

I start going randomly from location to location, practicing moving around the objects, then recalling the sequence and only start associating numbers with the given objects and locations when I have gotten as fast as I need to get and succeeding 100% at recalling a sequence with the needed length.

My situation is different from yours as I already have a numbered memory palace, so there is no point in training without using the numbers. I understand your idea to not use numbers at the beginning of your experiment with this sytem since associating locations with numbers takes some time, but I see 2 problems with the randomly going from location to location:

1. you will probably use some locations much more than others this way because you cannot completely choose locations randomly (mentalists like Derren Brown use this for example when they ask a volunteer to give a number between 2 and 9 or something; some numbers will be more likely given;
  2. the focus on choosing random locations (despite being not completely possible) takes energy and time, so in a hyperbolic way you get something like: front door of house, hmm let see, couch and than hmm the kitchen, oh wait i already went there, hold on…

I think that if you insist on not using numbers in this stage of the experiment, it might be useful to use a deck of 100 cards with the locations written on them. When you can do this really fast after some time it almost certainly will be possible for you to do it with numbers after some more training.

Another potential problem I see with your approach (if I understood you correctly) is trying to recall after every memorisation trial. I truly believe this is a mistake for the three reasons I have given in my post, despite knowing that memory champions like Ben Pridmore have done precisely what you intend to do (I remember Ben mentioning in a post that he never memorised without recalling afterwards).

Thanks for your reply.

of course, if it doesn’t work with the board, you can use a banana, I was just saying that by using something already there I always managed to make it work…

I’m not sure you understood my post, from certain parts of you reply. But I was just sharing what worked for me :smile_cat: so all is good. Sorry If I didn’t make myself clear enough…

Regarding using randomly generated numbers for practice, or objects, to move from location to location : I’ve never had any problems falling on more than enough of every numbers or objects or whatever the sequence I’m memorizing. So I really don’t understand how succeeding in memorizing the necessary sequences with the help of this kind of practice can be seen as a problem. but again, it’s just what works for me…

P.s
I’ve always enjoyed reading your posts and threads, most of the time without replying or participating. And I’m sure I’m not the only one.

2 Likes

It might be that when I make up my random sequence, because I will name the locations by their number I get something like: 23, 43, 73, 83, wait…11, 31, 13, 31, no not 31. Even when I don’t use the number of the location, just by trying to go in a random sequence I end up doing the opposite, in that i will follow some algoritm like pick another location that is far removed; the locations on the very beginning and the very end tend to be left alone for some reason. Either way the focus on randomness might effect the experiment in ways, that make it less accurate in predicting it’s power for what it’s ultimately designed for. But hey, if the random generator in your head works better than mine, you might as well take advantage of that.

P.s
I’ve always enjoyed reading your posts and threads, most of the time without replying or participating. And I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Thanks, I very much appreciate that.

Ahahahha that would be awful !!!

Now I understand why I didn’t understand your reaction! where did I say that I am myself generated the randomness? Ahahahha of course I don’t, that would be much too big a workload to add on to the exercise. I use a random generator that uses my own images or sometimes even an actual physical shuffler when I put my own pieces of palaces or things to remember on paper.

Although on rarer occasions, I do go from place to place myself without a random generator sometimes. But that is because I want to work on specific parts that I have difficulty with, and I know exactly which ones they are, and as long as it makes them less difficult it doesn’t matter how random my randomness is.

You didn’t but somehow I asumed, that was what you meant. I think we both understand eachother now. Can you tell me about the random generator, that would be a great training tool?

it’s nothing too fancy. I usually just use the slideshow option in my images viewer on my PC. I’ve got one on my 10 year old phone also, which I use just as much. they both have three different speeds oh, and if I ever want to go faster I use my PC to record the screen and speed up the video made with it… I like keeping it simple.

when I actually put them on paper I just shuffle them a lot in the Box . I used to have a card shuffler, useful for random numbers, but it broke I guess I used it too much…

I think for an experiment to have value, one has to get to the results they pursue, or fail trying. For me, it would first be to instantly associate what needs to be remembered to the locations/peg/or whatever technique used. And no matter the order they appear.

meaning that perfect Randomness isn’t the best of all. if number 11 3 7 already instantly invokes drumsticks lips and cane, and those are what brings me back to their location, but I don’t instantly jump in the correct location when 17 42 and 73 comes up, I don’t want it to keep on 11 Threes And Sevens. BUT, in my experience, on the longer-term, sometimes some that came instantly to me at a given point start failing to do later on without warning :octopus:!!, so I usually keep them there; all the while trying to find a balance between all the various degrees of difficulty.

Also, for me, in practice, keeping those 11 Threes And Sevens end up helping in other ways. I start using the ones I know instantly as a trampoline to practice the first that instantly comes to mind that is not that number, or simply take that millisecond as a break much needed , or to inspect a location a little more along with its surroundings. But many times, I take those images that I’ve learned out of my random generator, and I duplicate the ones that I have more difficulty with. and yes sometimes I have five or six of a given item before I finally manage to get it instantly.

But this way is so natural and easy and simple for me.

1 Like

Oh and I think I forgot I also use the random.org generator in various ways, but usually with an auto Mouse click because it refreshes every time and it’s a pain. And perhaps we’re too far away from your threat subject sorry about that :scream_cat: going back to my ontbaid, miam! tak !

For practising this system I will just use printouts (using the office printer) of 2 digit number lists; having the numbers on a piece of paper allows for a more relaxed sitting/lying position on the couch.

Speaking of this system; I think I might need some more time to finish my location representing objects collection. In only about 20% of the locations can I use something from that location as an object and for the rest I really want to think of something that is very powerfully connected to that location, like the toiletbrush representing the toilet.

Just to make sure nobody misunderstands my system; these object are not supposed to be visualised in the location they represent at all; the connection has to be purely logical/intuitive. You only visualise these objects in the location that comes after the location they represent as determined by the to be memorised number squence.

2 Likes

update

I have finished the location representing object collection, using the following alogoritm:

1. can something from the location be used?
    example:
    location 37: chair of my office desk (location = object)

2. can you think of something that feels untuitively connected to the location?
    example:
    location 84: crawling space under my house; object is a Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones because he is small enough to walk in it.

3. pick a powerful memory object and just connect it the location in story.
    location 91: garbage container in my house; object is a frisbee and I just pretend I don’t like frisbees so I throw them in the garbage container.

2 Likes

Hii…
i an newbie here
i wish i will help you

Well @erikfromholland can you use your reverse memory palace to improve mind maps as mind maps are just a form of the method of Loci and you have already improved the amount of standard method of loci and so why not improve mind maps with your ideas as they will help many students around the world who use mind maps to improve the recall of the things which they have learnt and because of this score more marks in their examinations.

Well, @erikfromholland I recognise that your methods are good and they have helped me greatly in improving my recall and because of this I promise to respond to your new posts with in 1 week in order to improve the popularity of your posts as this is what I want.

1 Like