I'm beginning to doubt the efficacy of these techniques

[Due to a forum import error, this thread was manually copied here from the old forum into this top post.]

moca83 21 September, 2012 - 18:05

Yes, the memory techniques discussed on this forum clearly work for memorizing cards, number, simplified images, names, etc. However, it would appear that they fall short of being practical for certain areas of focus, namely medical studies. To be more specific, it simply takes too much time (at least for me), to transform the “raw data” of about 100 powerpoint slides per day of cellular biology information into a format that can actually be mentally digested. Here is an example of the typical medical school slide (below average in complexity) they require us to know…which for many people is by rote memorization:

Hereditary Cancer Syndromes
Hereditary Breast & Ovarian Cancer Syndrome
BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations
Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP)
APC mutations or MUTYH mutations
Hereditary Non-polyposis Colorectal Cancer Syndrome
(Lynch Syndrome)
MSH2 and MLH1
Li-Fraumeni Syndrome (multiple cancers)
TP53 (p53)mutations
Von Hippel Lindau Disease
VHL mutations
Cowden Syndrome
PTEN mutations
Retinoblastoma

I’m baffled by the fact that there are no algorithms for memorizing college lecture slides–no memory systems, that is. I’m baffled because of the inherent potential for huge $$$. Does Tony Buzan or anyone else realize what medical students (along with others) would pay to make their lives easier with an optimal system for memorizing complex information??? I would be willing to pay $1000 for a truly effective memory system for Cell Bio, Biochem, etc…and I wouldn’t think twice about it considering the pressure we are under for memorizing vast amounts of data in minimal time.

Sorry for the rant, I’ve just been racking my brain for ways to apply the memory techniques I know (e.g., loci, mnemonics, link, etc) to hundreds of slides of abstract information that I will soon be tested over.

It’s funny, here in the U.S., college kids are paying any amount for “smart pills” (i.e., adderall, ritalin, etc), just to gain an edge or in most cases, stay afloat. Imagine a memory system that would eliminate the need to take drugs to cognitively perform…now imagine an educational market that is nearly 1 trillion dollars in size???

Josh 21 September, 2012 - 21:29

I think that there is no magic pill. Either way, it will be hard work. I think that it would be much faster in the long run with memory techniques though.

How long have you been using memory techniques? If you have just started, it gets faster with practice.

Have you tried Anki? I might try to combine the method of loci and associations with Anki for something like the Hereditary Cancer Syndromes slide.

Maybe one of the other medical students here could offer better tips on that though. :slight_smile:

gavino 22 September, 2012 - 00:30

Hi Moca, you raise a very interesting issue and one that I think would be worthy of serious consideration by anybody here who needs or wants to go beyond the basic ‘tricks’. I could see this being a very useful thread if everyone gets their brains fully in gear on It. So, firstly can I try to scale the problem:

1. Would it be something like 100 slides per day with 15 pieces of information times, say, 250 days per year times 4 (?) years? (This is 1.5 million…)
  2. How could this information be logically structured?
  3. How much time per day can you realistically allocate to pure memorisation, given the other elements of your studies?
  4. Any other critical information we should consider?

Gavino

sleightly 22 September, 2012 - 01:50

Hey moca83, if you try to learn the whole slide just as it is, you’ll be screwed. You need to categorise it into meaningful chunks.

How I might approach it is to first separate them:

Hereditary cancers
- Gynae
—BRCA1/2
—Breast & Ovarian cancer syndrome

-GI
—FAP
—APC/MUTYH mutations
—HNPCC/Lynch syndrome
-----MLH1/MSH2

p53 mutations
—Li-Fraumeni syndrome
—TP53 mutations

Multiple organ systems
—VHL disease/mutations
—Cowden syndrome
—PTEN mutations

Retina
—Retinoblastoma

Once you’re done this, I would convert each condition to an image (i.e. VHL reminds me of a hippo etc.)

Then have a main central image to represent hereditary cancer (some person you saw on the wards perhaps?)

Then have the images of a certain section interact with each other on top of the hereditary cancer picture.

So at the end have a person representing hereditary cancers, and you zoom into different organ systems to see conditions interacting with each other

Hope this helps fellow medic :smiley:

moca 22 September, 2012 - 10:36

Josh Cohen wrote:

I think that there is no magic pill. Either way, it will be hard work. I think that it would be much faster in the long run with memory techniques though.

How long have you been using memory techniques? If you have just started, it gets faster with practice.

Have you tried Anki? I might try to combine the method of loci and associations with Anki for something like the Hereditary Cancer Syndromes slide.

Maybe one of the other medical students here could offer better tips on that though. :slight_smile:

I figured it would be hard work…but it’s hard work just to figure out where to start, let alone structuring everything for memorizing.

I’ve been using memory techniques for about a year now (maybe about twice a month) for memorizing things related to school. I’ll admit, I definitely could use more practice but time is very scarce as a medical student.

I have tried Anki and am definitely a fan, however, Anki is geared to long-term mastery via spaced repetition. Unfortunately the intervals used for review with Anki tend to be too spread out for huge exams about every other week. I will definitely use Anki for the USMLE, giving myself about a year of preparation.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate your contributions to this forum. :wink:

moca83 22 September, 2012 - 11:22

gavino wrote:

Hi Moca, you raise a very interesting issue and one that I think would be worthy of serious consideration by anybody here who needs or wants to go beyond the basic ‘tricks’. I could see this being a very useful thread if everyone gets their brains fully in gear on It. So, firstly can I try to scale the problem:

1. Would it be something like 100 slides per day with 15 pieces of information times, say, 250 days per year times 4 (?) years? (This is 1.5 million…)
  2. How could this information be logically structured?
  3. How much time per day can you realistically allocate to pure memorisation, given the other elements of your studies?
  4. Any other critical information we should consider?

Gavino

Hi Gavino,
I’m glad there are others who see the potential here. As mentioned in my post, I just can’t believe that there aren’t more Tony Buzans out there trying to target grad students, etc with a product that is tailored to the style of information typically found in upper-level coursework. The funny thing is, it would be easy for me to personally get a group of about 50 students each paying $500 - $1000 for a system that actually works for what we are studying…now multiply that by tens of thousands of students around the country/world to get a glimpse of the potential market here. I digress… So to answer your questions:

1. My typical week consists of four one-hour lectures, five days a week, along with an afternoon lab four days per week. So as you can see, time is scarce. A typical lecture will have about 35 slides, each containing roughly the amount of information listed below:

Huntington’s Disease – Autosomal Dominant:
Neuropathology is degeneration of striatum and cortex
Patients present midlife with motor abnormalities, personality changes, a gradual loss of cognition
Penetrance and Expressivity depend on the number of repeats
100% Penetrance for individuals with >40 repeats. Borderline penetrance for 36-39 repeats.
Anticipation: disease presents at an earlier age when passed to offspring (via pedigree) through father.

Since our exams are about every 3 weeks for one set of three classes (Molecular Fundamentals of Medicine, Medical Gross Anatomy, and Neuroanatomy), staggered with another three classes that are less science-intensive. Therefore, we would have to have a system for memorizing somewhere around 800 slides for one set of exams (every three weeks) and about the same for another set of exams staggered.

1. The information could be logically structured (at least in my mind) by fitting it into an overall schema or tree (i.e., Huntington’s Disease displays autosomal dominant inheritance–>List characteristics–>Genetic disorder). Or perhaps this information can be clumped into a palace or something…you see, the tricky part is coming up with an overall construct which holds the ideas. It’s easy to use a house with 10 separate rooms to memorize X-number of images per room, but try coming up with a palace/path/loci to hold 800 slides with 4-10 ideas per slide…that’s the difficult part. The more I think about it, the more it seems as though this stuff shouldn’t need to be structured, considering the fact that memory champions are memorizing abstract poetry line-by-line.

2. This questions is the million dollar question (literally)… So many grad student, college student, professionals, etc, are strapped for time and given enough time could memorize by rote memorization…but that isn’t practical considering our tight schedules. So, I would realistically only be able to devote a solid hour per night to memorizing 140-ish slides per night (and reviewing material in a cumulative manner).

3. The key is to be able to take about 140 slides per day, rearrange them in a couple hrs max, then apply some algorithmic system (i.e., peg system for memorizing order of slides, association for concepts in slides, visual-emotional-action for evoking memories that stick, linking for connecting concepts, etc). I’m convinced that there is a way to somehow manipulate what we know about the current memory techniques and use them in a pure-academic manner. So in summary: 1. In college, instructors pile “raw data” on you at a very rapid rate; 2. Student’s job is to get ALL information into brain (including minute details) as fast as possible.

You know you’ve discovered the diamond when you (or Tony Buzan) can pick up the medical student’s 35 slides, study them for about 30 minutes, then recite back to the student the information on each slide in order. I along with tens of thousands of other graduate students would happily pay $1000 to learn how to do that.

moca83 22 September, 2012 - 11:50

Sleighty,

Thanks for helping a fellow med student out, I appreciate it. I will definitely try what you have suggested and I’ll let you know how it works out. I’m about to start studying genetics and cancer pathways for a few hours, hopefully I can make some progress in applying these memory techniques.

I really do think our fellow mnemonists are onto something (and have been for a while). We are so close to revolutionizing the way people think, we just need more people interested in the practical applications of these techniques. There is so much potential to what the people in this forum are doing and I believe that when it catches on, people will leap exponentially ahead of their current cognitive abilities.

Kinma 23 September, 2012 - 00:28

Hi Moca,

So you know that the techniques on this forum work.
That is a good start. I remember in April that you where very exited that you learned (if I remember correctly) 100 numbers.
These techniques are the same with learning new knowlegde. The difference is, because of the nature of the stuff you need to learn, that you need to come up with your own way of associating the knowlegde you need to learn to the stuff you already know.

A lot of universities btw have too many med students. One way of weeding out the lesser students is to give each and every one of them too much work to see which ones can handle the workload.
This could be true in your situation.
Also talk with other students how they cope with the workload.

Let’s dive into how one can learn thisspecific slide.
With no knowlegde the data sounds impressive and difficult to learn.

However, once you know that the letters in BRCA1 and BCRA2 stand for BReast CAncer, this becomes a lot easier.
The term BCRA is a mnemonic in itself!
The first time I read your post on the BRCA1 and BRCA2 I thought Bric à Brac, where in my mind I would see BR1C à BRAC2.
I would then use that as a sort of auxilary link.

FAP is an mnemonic that is easy to learn once you know what it means in urban slang! At least it makes it easier to create visualisations :wink:

I could go on and on about this, but like Josh says, once you have a bit of experience, you will become faster in doing this.

Good luck!

Hype 23 September, 2012 - 05:07

As a new medical student myself, I’ve been overwhelmed by the workload of it all. I was told so many times that it’s A LOT of information to memorise, and that there’s so much to do, but you don’t quite grasp the quantity of information you have to learn until you’re actually told to learn it!
I’m only about to start my 3rd week at med school, but there’s already been so much: from the basic medical sciences, to psychology/sociology, to medical ethics and law, to human anatomy. It strikes me that I would benefit by categorising information by process/situation as opposed to by field.

I’ve been practising mnemonics for a while and even I find it quite a daunting task to apply them to the type of information we need to memorise. I’ll be sure to write extensively about my experience in experimenting with mnemonics throughout my years at medical school; the reason I haven’t tried to apply them yet is simply because I want to see how efficient and effective rote memorisation is before I move onto mnemonics, such that I can accurately compare the two methods of learning. Perhaps rote will work great for anatomy, but mnemotechnics will be the best for pharmacology.

I’ll be keeping an eye on these sorts of topics; I’ve downloaded Anki for the first time and am excited to play around with that - if any current medical students can recommend me any pre-made decks, that’d be great.

This is also the reason for my inactivity on the forum - it’s because of me struggling to acclimatise to the workload of university. :stuck_out_tongue:

gavino 23 September, 2012 - 06:30

Ah, Hype, I was wondering what you were up to!

I am still contemplating all of this, but the one thing I would be finding most scary is not even the time for initial structuring or memorisation, but the sheer buildup of information for spaced repetition purposes…

Gavino

Hype 23 September, 2012 - 08:07

gavino wrote:

Ah, Hype, I was wondering what you were up to!

I am still contemplating all of this, but the one thing I would be finding most scary is not even the time for initial structuring or memorisation, but the sheer buildup of information for spaced repetition purposes…

Gavino

Although there will be a huge build up of information in spaced repetition; not all of it is necessary to be remembered. Some stuff we have to learn for our exams simply won’t be clinically relevant in the future, or relevant for the rest of medical school. There are facts that will come up in exams, then we will never use in the rest of our lives. Sifting through things like that will help with the spaced repetition workload. Information like that can be crammed during the pre-exam period.

Thanks for giving me something else to worry about, though! :smiley:

1 Like

[The rest of the comments from the old forum are in this comment.]

Mikeproject2009 9 October, 2012 - 10:35

Hi

I would group your slides in logical groups and subgroups and further subsubgroups but do not exceed 5-6 subgroups within one group or subgroup as our brains are best to remember 5-6 simple numbers (phone numbers) words or concepts. This is probably the most efficient method to do it quickly. I am not sure how much time you have now but this technique helped me when I need to learn for an exam in 5 days and the workload was not manageable

good luck

regards
Mike

Mystery 11 October, 2012 - 03:39

If you try to learn that list (in your example) just by rote, you’ll come into the exam and you will definitely not be able to remember some of those items, unless you rote it for weeks and even then you might forget purely because you didn’t build any sort of “link” in your brain to what you want to remember.

At the same time, trying to encode every letter, every word and every point on that slide will make you go nuts. Sure, it’ll be faster than just rote learning, but you will need plenty of loci (something you probably don’t have time to go and organise) and in some cases it might take you hours just to figure out the image you want to use.

I believe that if you really want to zoom through the information and do well on the test the answer is to mix it up.

Hereditary Cancer Syndromes <-- Do you really need mnemonics for this? I doubt it, you already understand there are different kinds of cancers, you know some of them are hereditary, you don’t need to clutter your brain space with the title of a list. Moving on.

What falls into hereditary cancers?

Hereditary Breast & Ovarian Cancer Syndrome <-- This isn’t even a complicated medical term, breast and ovarian cancer hereditary style, I’m not a medical student but this just seems ridiculously obvious.

BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations <-- Here the question is, do you know what these mutations are? Or do you just need to be able to get the acronym right on the exam? You probably need to understand what those mutations represent, and if you comprehend what they are, then you already know they’re a hereditary cancer syndrome, obviously when you’re in the exam you’ll think “one of these is a mutation”, wait, which mutation? What’s the mutation called? You just need to find the acronym somewhere in your brain at that point, what’s the acronym? Shit I forgot what the acronym is! BRsomething??? Broken. Broken? BRK no, C, cause I remember it’s C instead of K, BRCA1 and 2.

And so on for the rest of the list. You’re combining rote, mnemonics and MOST IMPORTANTLY your understanding of the subject to answer the exam question. You can’t skip any of the above, without understanding you won’t know what to base your answers on, without at least some repetition you’ll forget your “Broken” mnemonic and without your mnemonic you’ll forget the acronym and fail the exam question.

The reason why there’s no easy “system” that students can pay for is because LEARNING isn’t a system, it’s an art form.

metivier 11 October, 2012 - 23:46

I think Mystery is on to something that will help you, moca83: try to weed out the material you don’t actually need to memorize.

Next, I think that the hardest work you will face is figuring out a system that works for you. Ultimately, all of these tools are kind of like a bicycle. Everyone can ride one, but we all need to raise or lower the seat and adjust the handlebars.

In order to that, you’ve kind of got to build the bike first using various forms of preparation and predetermination.

If I were in your place, what I would do is set up at least 26 separate palaces based around the alphabet.

A palace, for instance, would be at a home my mother lived in and I have about 30 stations within that location that I could easily build out to over 100

B palace would be one of my old highschools, etc.

I would work all of this out in advance. I would not only draw visual maps of what these places looked like in order to flesh out the areas in my mind, but I would also create an Excel file for each.

Palace A:

1. Bedroom
  2. Hallway
  3. Storage room
  4. table by door, etc.

I do this for no reason other than that it helps me with predetermination. It’s work, but very worthy work (and it really doesn’t take that long). It’s like building the frame of a house or something. Or like I said, a bike.

So with all this preparation - or predetermination, as I like to call it - in place, then if I have a tonne of stuff I need to deal with, well, ideally I have enough locations worked out in Palace A to handle an entire day of classes (or whatever it might be). That leaves me 25 more palaces with pre-configured journeys that are virgin ready for material.

The next thing I would suggest is relaxation. The benefits of being relaxed when memorizing are profound.

I practice something called pendulum breathing. It’s hard to describe in prose, but you essentially imitate the movement of a pendulum with your breath:

1. breathe in until the lungs fill naturally - pause - breathe in just a bit more
  2. breathe out until the lungs empty naturally - pause - breathe out just a bit more
  3. repeat

It can feel a bit weird at first, but once you get the hang of it, I’m sure you’ll love it.

Breathing this way achieves one thing more important that relaxation:

It helps center you and make you present.

The real trick to all this memorizing business is that you are paying attention to the material in the first place. Then, using the association and location techniques, you avoid rote memorization. All of this happens so naturally when you are present and relaxed.

I hope these thoughts help.

lponced2002 24 October, 2012 - 21:22

Hey guys,

First off, these comments are amazing! Thanks everyone for your different tips and insight. And, I am VERY sorry for the long post, but here we go:

Well, looks like I’m late on this post. I’m a pharmacy student in the U.S. Please, excuse me if pharmacy school is not as hard as what you med folks are doing :slight_smile: But, throughout this semester I’ve definitely run into the same exact issue that you brought up: is it worth applying these memory techniques to ALL of this medical information? Well, this is what I have found (so far). There really is not one magical technique to memorizing this stuff. However, if you combine MANY techniques together- everything about effective learning that you’ve encountered- then you can definitely become efficient in studying for med school.

I’ve been practicing techniques for almost a year now (and still have much to go).
Here are some topics that I stumbled across so far, this semester.

1. Don’t memorize every single detail! I was definitely ignorant in this case. For one of my first big, information dense exams, I memorized a TON of detail using only loci. I could actually recite about 85% of my entire exam material straight from memory. But, when the exam came around I overlooked one important thing- UNDERSTANDING. So, now when I watch lectures, I try to conceptualize everything and understand the big picture. When I actually do hear something unfamiliar, I would simply jot down an image for it, right at that exact moment. Ex: GABA neurotransmitter = “Jabba,” IP3 = “Ip man,” PSY1 “Korean singer PSY wearing a tie.” I wouldn’t worry about loci at that moment. Then AFTER I would filter in all of those images into my loci and go over my notes that way.

Another important thing that Mystery noted was if a term is easily understandable, don’t use mnemonics. It’s really just pointless. His example was ‘hereditary breast cancer.’ My example: ‘Fasciculation’ means muscle twitch. I know that muscles are made from fascicles, so I associate it that way. Nothing fancy here- aka, If you already know something, don’t convert it.

1. It is MOST EFFICIENT to use mnemonics with completely ABSTRACT material! I’m referring to body processes and organic/medicinal chemistry. This is where it gets fun. Many students struggle with memorizing this stuff (bc I believe it really is absolutely insane memorizing an organic structure and mechanism using rote!) I managed to memorize glyocolysis, citric acid cycle, electron transport, and phosphate shunt- its substrates, its products, and enzymes- in probably only 2 hours after just looking at the powerpoints and writing down my images. I could recall ~90% straight from memory right after too, and I could do that days later.

2. Don’t be afraid to use repetition! In the beginning, I’d only venture through my “memory maps” about 3-5 times total. This really isn’t enough. You should complete this task, the same way students review their notes for only a little bit at the end of every night. At the end of the day, take no more than 15 minutes to quickly “walk” through the routes that you learned that day.

3. Vocalize! I suggest that once you have your loci laid out, to simply go through it and recite what you memorized as if you are teaching it. This is just a reinforcer for understanding. Don’t just recite your images; ask yourself questions about their relavence in medicine. Place them in unknown scenarios. Pretend that a patient or fellow health professional is asking you what you know. This may only be me, but I found that if I loudly, and confidently vocalize my “mental notes,” that I was more comfortable knowing and understanding the information.

4. Take advantage of graphs and diagrams! In my classes, my professors are nice enough to provide, head-on organized diagrams summarizing a lot of material (essentially, they are just bland mind maps). So, I take advantage of those to help me see the big picture, and again UNDERSTAND the material. If I still can’t memorize those sequences, I will literally draw my own pictures, and fill in a mind map of my own over their diagrams.

I am obviously still experimenting and trying to find a balance. The above techniques have just been the most helpful to me… (so far).

One thing is for sure. I’ve saved LOADS of time practicing mnemonics, and it is definitely better than my old study habits. I literally don’t get mixed up with information anymore. One almost miraculous thing that I’ve noticed: I can recall a very specific detail even a month later after creating my mind palace. I can still see most of the images in my head, and am able to draw the connection. When my cumulative finals come, all I have to do is go through all of my mental map notes, a few days beforehand, while other students will be locked in their rooms going over all of the hand-written pages that they’ve compiled or the almost hundreds of slides provided.

Sorry for the long post. And, please, other mnemonists, criticize me if there is an easier way or if I’m doing something wrong :slight_smile:

The Knave 1 November, 2012 - 01:19

If I did get it right, to summerize what you just said:
You mix different technics. For example in your loci you find the beginning of others technics, say any other mnemonic.

You organize your loci with help of some mind map or own-designed plans to organize the journey you’ll have to get.

You beforehand understand what every information you memorize means, THEN you memorize them even better.

Please correct me if I did get it wrong (red it between yesterday and today).

lponced2002 2 November, 2012 - 08:50

In short, that is all CORRECT.

Yes, I’d really emphasize understanding the material, FIRST. For medicine, this is important because you will be learning material that will carry you throughout your entire lifetime. I used to try to make a loci and convert pictures while I was watching lecture, but it was just too distracting. So now I watch a lecture (most of mine or online) while adding in normal notes. THEN about 10 minutes after (during my review), I’ll go through and create my loci.

I do try to utilize a wide variety of techniques, because some techniques are simply faster than others, and vise versa. (ex: I thought it was easier to just picture in my head a diagram of dopamine pathway for Parkinson’s in the brain, than converting all of that to loci). So right now, I’d prioritize from the method I use the most, to the least:

1. method of loci (~about 40% of material)
  2. diagrams/concept maps/ mind maps/ compare and contrast charts (maybe about 30% of material)
  3. common med acronyms (ex: Can I Keep Selling Sex For Money Officer?" for Krebs cycle)
  4. flashcards (like anki)- for the rest of the stuff that just takes too long to convert to memory

And of course, review, review, review. Utilizing many techniques, won’t keep you reviewing 24/7 like some of my classmates, but that doesn’t mean that you can just look at your material 3 times before an exam and be done. You can review, by saying things aloud or by teaching (in my opinion, this has worked for me real well). After all, you won’t be in a quiet, slow-paced test environment where you can just close your eyes and think when you get out into the real world. So, in short, I guess I mix all of the above with spaced repetition as well. Though, I’m still practicing and learning to be ultimately efficient!

Alex 13 November, 2012 - 20:51

Part of the problem (as I see it – and I’m not trying to sound like a dick) is that you are trying to memorize a PowerPoint slide. By that, I mean that you are starting the memorization at the wrong point. The list is the second stage of the learning. The first stage is understanding what all those items are in the first place. And yes, that’s a lot of details to organize in your head. But I can’t imagine rote memorization would work. Even if these systems only help with 10% of the stuff, are you going to turn that down?

[comment deleted]

gavino 16 November, 2012 - 04:55

I must say I am strongly in the ‘understand it first’ camp for learning the type of material being discussed here, which is radically different from learning and understanding a poem.

Sure it is possible to bulk learn certain types of material, but not complicated, detailed information where you are trying to relate multiple pieces of data to others.

The brain, on its own, simply cannot hold enough information ‘in mind’ at any one moment to facilitate this kind of learning. You need diagrams, mind maps and other tools to get the job done.

And BP, I have to say that I am getting a little tired of your constant spouting of the ‘find out what works for you’ nonsense on almost every post you make. This is NOT HELPFUL, and nor is your random use of capitals

The fact is that the vast majority of people using this forum want to ask questions and get advice on shortcuts from the practical experience and knowledge of other users.

We don’t all need to reinvent the wheel every time. There ARE shortcuts and methods that WILL help people to be better and more effective users of the multiple memory techniques.

If I want to play the guitar better, it is not helpful for someone to tell me to strum it for a while until I work it out for myself!

[a couple of comments deleted here]

martin.craughwell 18 November, 2012 - 15:06

i think you have to understand to at least the degree
of being able to know what is needed
and whats not.
you need to know what you don’t need to memorize
and then filter what you do
need to memorize.
you filter the what you need
into what is most necessary
and into categories
of less necessary things.

then you can make a few
mental notes on how things are connected.

then have say a journey for each
group of things,that you don’t know from the
most necessary sections and work from there.
also just linking alone would probably work fine.
just map out what you don’t know but that
is most important.
or just write down a few words from each slide
to get a summary of what you have to learn.
then read the points or write them down and
make an image for that point.

i hope this makes sense.
also try to list things the right way like some things need a graph.
some need a pie chart. some need a table.
this is extremely important. because it is how you will organise the information.
i was just memorizing some wireless internet standards.
i have a journey with the standards a,b,g,n,ac
then i added the information to these most used standards.
e.g the frequency band they use etc.
so i have a journey for the standards,then another for the antennas
then another for security,wep,wpa,tkip

also the way you prefer to organize info is up to you.
the way you prefer is probably best.
but understanding medicine seems different than a poem
if you don’t understand it you won’t be able to
manipulate the information for different uses.

you need to be able to use an analyse the information.
this can be done after memorizing but might make it harder to memorize.
it might be easier to read over the slides and then work on
what you don’t understand.
but if you keep forgetting something that is stopping your
basic understanding you might need to simplify it
further then understand the point then move on or
memorize it.
or memorize the point then gain an understanding of it
later.

i hope this helps. as for the images you make it looks like
it just gonna be hard work.i gave it a go and
i could only do half the slide in 5mins with mistakes
but also i find the mistake become amplified
when i check thing so then i remember them better.
i got as far as li-fraumeni syndrome(multiple cancers)
i had an image for each word except adenomataus had a few

yuri123 29 August, 2013 - 11:09

It would be better to use cloze deletion within a spaced repetition to learn text based facts. I would delete material in waves. I would start with the the traditional methods of cloze deletion and move on to deleting everything except for verbs, prepositions etc. In the future I may create an acrostic system for the sciences, but for now all I have is math.

PDF app.box.com/s/shkb3l742ig927gr839x [broken link]

Anki Files
[broken link removed]
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/2582531359
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/3853161371
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/3883396643

Remember to use the first word list while learning and reviewing.

1 Like