I am seeking for advices on transforming abstract words into images.

I am learning French and will start Latin, Ancient Greek, and German.

I memorize the vocabularies in foreign language by attaching images to the definitions in English and breaking the spelling in foreign languages and placing them to the same locus or near one.

The problem is I sometimes have difficulty imaging abstract words. e.g. Adress, oppressive, obscure, scope, aftertaste, justice, consideration, etc.

Any advice will be appreciated.

address: A dress
aftertaste: REFLUX medicine Pepcid for example
justice: visualize the scales of justice
scope: telescope
oppression: Oprah Pressing something
obscure: a rare cure I have trouble with this one because I know the etymology too well and just want to visualize someone obscuring someone’s view.

But one question I have is why attach foreign language words to loci? It’s a an extra unneeded association, i.e. you have the Locus-the foreign word-the native language word, you have to associate all three.

Why not just associate the last two, i.e., the foreign word and the native language word?

The only advantage of the loci being associated with these is you may want to keep track of how many words you have learned.

I have heard other writers on this forum who use loci or journey for language learning and I wonder if I am missing something? Clearly two associations are easier and more recallable than three.

I agree and I don’t use loci for vocabulary either.
The only use I can see is when I want to go over the list of new words I learned.
However, like I said in another thread if your associations are strong enough this is usually not necessary and I never do this (and yes, by doing that I take the risk of losing a word here and there).

I think one reason might be that with the ‘Moonwalking with Einstein’ book places a lot of emphasis on memory palaces and now everybody that read the book thinks this is the only way.

Here is a list of things I do not use loci for:

• remembering where I parked my car. Instead I associate the location to the car.
  • remembering names of new people I meet. Instead I associate mnemonics for the name to the face.
  • vocabulary. I use the same way you do.
  • ect., ect.