Human Body

I’m going to get properly in to the mnemonic techniques during my summer holidays and really train myself in them. As a project, one that would be interesting and useful in itself, but also if I become a Doctor as I hope to do: I’d like to learn all the bones and muscles(ligaments, etc.) in the human body. How do you guys think one would go about doing this using mnemonics?

Laurence

There are specific websites for trainee doctors trying to memorize all the technical jargon. I don’t know where they are but i have come across them many times and heard of others seeking the same thing.

Good luck!

Hey Laurence,
This is totally my field. Ok, so do you want the long version or the short? So because I teach anatomy and phys, I have a super long version for me and the more compacted useful version for others. Some stuff is definitely worth memorizing. For example, the muscles definitely… other than the major ligaments like the ones pertaining to the knee… ligaments are not so useful.

The way I advise training for this is as follows:

1. Mind map the chapter of the book you are using. I advise something like: (http://www.amazon.com/Human-Anatomy-6th-Frederic-Martini/dp/0321500423) and feel free to use a book a few editions old. They really don’t change much. Anatomy isn’t the type of field that changes often. No second hearts or third arms discovered recently. Once you start in on physiology I would stick with something newer.
    So, your mind map should pretty much outline the chapter, and focus on location, function, and structure. If I’m looking at stratified squamous epithelial tissue… I’m asking myself, where? why? and what? At this point, your not trying to learn the material. Just outlining it.

2. Extrapolate the terms you want to remember. Harder than you think! You can spend six months memorizing everything there is to know about the skeletal system alone! If you want, I have my premade lists that I’ll send you. Just let me know.

3. Memorize using Method of Loci and review 5x a day around a week. Yes, I know. Far more reviews than normal, but the more effort now, the longer it stays.

4. Chain the same material without Loci. Review by the numbers until you can use this new list as a Loci list. You’ll need strong images so play around with it.

5. NOW read the chapter. Also, make sure to use an atlas so you can recognize the features by appearance.

The advantages of such a work intensive method is that you can now use your human body lists to memorize other things, and you will simultaneously be reviewing your anatomy.

Cheers loads man, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. If you could send me those lists, that would be a godsend. Thanks :slight_smile:

Laurence

Tell ya what. PM an email and I’ll send it over. I’ve been thinking of turning it into a course thing, and while I’ll distribute it for anyone for free, I would rather not post it on a forum to avoid something like copy right issues later. I’ll send you what I have so far, which includes some mindmaps and a big sections of lists. A couple pp’s I think too.

1 Like

Hey Cassox are you still here? Can you give this list? i am working in the physiotheraphy and i am intersted about.Thanks