How useful is this in praction ?

(Jar Procházka) #1

Hey everyone,
so this might be a stupid post, because I am completely new to this. I got introduced to this by Moonwalking With Einstein, and I would be dedicaded enough to learn the techniques. However, I would like to use it for practical stuff, school, books, programming etc…So I wonder, how useful is it for that stuff ? Anyone here actually using it in college for example and suceeding, or are the techniques only useful regarding the tournament disciplines ?
Thanks, I ll appreacite all answers :).

Sure, you can for example use it to memorize the content of textbooks for exams, similar to what is posted here:

Use it to learn speeches (presentations) so that you don’t have to rely on notes and you can focus more on the audience.

Could you give somewhat more precise examples of what exactly you want to use it for? Here’s a video that explains how to memorize all the US presidents… not sure if that is what you mean, but just to give you an idea:

I have found it really useful, both for me and my kids. I end up having to learn quite a bit of new info at work and have found it useful to remember some of the basics. My kids (10 yrs old) have used it for general knowledge - they have memorized the US states in alphabetical order - but more recently it has proven really helpful for some last minute stuff that came up.

We are in the process of building a massive memory palace (thanks to Gavino and some others for the inspiration) to put large amounts of general knowledge, but at this stage we have a bunch of empty memory palaces. My daughter has twice in the past couple of weeks committed a series of things to memory using those empty palaces for tests and presentations that were coming up. My son used it to help memorize a speech he is doing for school.

Memory palaces in my view are not the solution for everything. For instance we have recently started using Anki which appears to be phenomenal for certain applications. Putting memory palaces and Anki together however has been, for me at least, been a revelation. They are an extraordinarily powerful combination. I really wish I had had these tools when I was going through school.

I personally haven’t gotten into much of the memory stuff outside of memory palaces yet. I plan to start with speed cards and then one of the methods for memorizing numbers, but can’t speak to the academic utility of anything beyond memory palaces.

(Silvio B.) #4

For me, they are extremely useful. I use them for work and study (law/jurisdiction etc.). I started using the techniques shortly before an important exam and I passed it (I was not very much trained back then, but it still helped me a lot). You can get the most out of memory techniques by combining various techniques. I mostly use memory palaces and a PA-system (for numbers, especially §§ or Articles in laws) and I review everything I learn with spaced repetition. The more you practice, the more efficient you get.

I’m glad I found out about memory techniques before starting to study at University.
I hope they will be as useful to you as they are to me :slight_smile:

If you have any specific things you need to learn, you can always ask here on the forum if someone has an idea on how to learn it easily :smiley:

(Jar Procházka) #5

Hello, sorry for my late reply, finally found time to get through it :slight_smile:
Your answer is great, I appreacite all the sources you mentioned, I ll go through all of them and PM you my opinion.

When you said, what exactly I want to use it for.
I would like to use it for

1. programming
  2. economical subjects
  3. to remember what I read :). I am sub consciously doing that already, because I have always portrayed the plot of the book in my imagination, but this does not work non fiction.

Have a nice day.

(Jar Procházka) #6

Hello, sorry for replying late :).

Thanks for answering, it is good to know that you and your kids use it practically. I browsed through the tips of gavino but have to go through it again.

I have never heard of anki, gotta check that out :). I am going to use memory palaces only now, and see if I go with other techniques later.

Have a nice day.

(Jar Procházka) #7

Hey,
thanks a lot for the answer.

Its good to hear you use it for law, because that requires a lot of memorization. I ll check out the PA system, but first will mess with a memory palace.

Have a great day :slight_smile:

Anki, which I first learned about here has been incredible. I found this article pretty interesting and it got me quite fired up…
http://augmentingcognition.com/ltm.html

(Jar Procházka) #9

Ah, so you probably did not read about moonwalking with Einstein right ? I am so happy you sent me a link about this guy, because in the book, it seemed like a bull shit story :smiley: I was like, this is quite similar and then read about the abbreviation S, and realized there was a chapter about him in the book…this was something I typed before I actually read the whole thing, now I see it was something a bit different than what S used, but thanks for showing. It fired me up too to be honest, I definitely need to try it out, I already see the possibilities it holds lol, maybe I am overestimating, but we will see. So far I am in love with this memory technique thing, because it is something so unexplored, and unknown for me, and hold a great value and also a lot of fun to it :). Just for the fact that I have always been a very imaginative person (I know most are) but for me learning word by word was pain, and now these memory palaces seem very cool. Cant wait to use rpg games as a palace :smiley: Take care.

1. as in algorithms? syntax? editor shortcuts? which languages and what’s your current level?
  2. concepts like game theory, etc or names and ideas like Smith, Ricardo, Keynes, Hayek?
  3. see link I posted in first reply

(ant) #11

its useful in anything that requires remembering and applying information (most things) Read moonwalking and the starter PDF on this site, try it out for a while then come back and let us know what you think.

(Jar Procházka) #12
  1. C#. I don’t have problems with understanding, and the syntax is not hard, I would like the learn the whole library. Because you don’t have to program everything yourself, there are a lot of functions in the library, so I would love to learn all or most of them. As I said, I don’t think I would waste a memory palace on the syntax itself or any of that. I am pretty much a complete beginner.
  2. Concepts are ok so far, I actually already had game theory an got an A without much studying, it was mostly logic not much studying needed, but I have problems with the latter you mentioned. Names, ideas, dates, I am also going to have statistics so maybe some formulas etc.
  3. I did go through them :slight_smile:
    Thanks again for helping.

(Jar Procházka) #13

I only have few pages left, I wonder if I should also read the ancient book metioned, like Ad Herennium or Phoenix by Peter of Ravenna. I ll let you know what I think, but I already tried this on one of the lists of the items mentioned in the starter sections here, and I can remember it very well after 2 days already, so I am impressed with that. All 7 items, I usually would be happy to recall 4 lol. Thanks for answering.

Do not become discouraged if at something you feel as if you must be missing something
Books, YouTube, movies, and so on edit out the boring and the failures
Memory professionals train as with any sport–NEVER-EVER FORGET THIS!
You see what seems to be easily performed, e.g., memorizing a deck of cards almost instantly
You do not see the daily hours needed even to get into the ball park to play

The deeper level you seek will require more and more trial and error or success
Trial and error will bring you unique insights that may well work only for you
Go with this, not whether a memory pro finds your method useful