How to turn jargon/terminology/abbreviation into pictures which can be visualized

Hi, dear all, as I have said terminology really kills understanding, the abstract words are only for communication, but sadly, it can not help us understand the thing itself, so can we turn them into funny things, like pictures?

For example are as follows

Net Present Value
Internal Rate of Return
Accounting Rate of Return
Capital Asset Pricing Model
Weighted Average Cost of Capital
Efficient Market Hypothesis
Foreign Direct Investment
the payback period
the discounted payback period
the net present value
cost of capital
variable cost
fixed cost
short-term/long term interest rate
momentum and reversal anomalies

Any suggestion or ideas on these abstract/ boring words, can it be possible to make fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are things that i look forward too.

1 Like

You are making this difficult for yourself.
If you find this jargon boring, than you are building hurdles you need to climb over.
Start to look upon these things as exciting and learning this will become a lot easier.

Here is a picture of Net Present Value:

NPV

I have no clue how to turn this into a funny picture, but maybe someone else can?

1 Like

As mentioned, how can one force himself to be interested ?

1 Like

Different images work for different people, but here are some ideas just to illustrate one way of converting abstract words into things that can be visualized.

I think that one doesn’t need to encode every word or syllable. The mnemonics just help trigger enough of a memory to get past the tip-of-the-tongue effect. A memory palace keeps the terms in order.

Net Present Value

The word “net” has multiple meanings. You could picture a fishing net or a gladiator’s net.

“Present” could refer to time, but it could also mean a Christmas present or gift.

When I see “value” I turn it into someone named “Val”. You could use Val Kilmer if you don’t know anyone named Val or Valerie.

You could picture a gladiator throwing a net over a birthday present being given to you by Val Kilmer. Picture the scene going from left-to-right or top-to-bottom to keep them in order.

Internal Rate of Return

“Internal” sounds kind of like “intern” or “Internet”.

“Rate” looks like of like “rat”.

“Return” is a button on my keyboard.

Accounting Rate of Return

“Accounting” => “accountant” or bank account.

Capital Asset Pricing Model

“Capital” is like “capitol” – for example a capitol building:

“Asset” could be a donkey (“ass”).

“Pricing” reminds me of “Fisher Price” – a company that produces letters for kids that are linked to certain synesthesia colors.

“Bank” is already an image.

“Model” – choose any memorable fashion model. Or a toy model.

Weighted Average Cost of Capital

“Weight” could suggest several things: a person’s weight. Spanish/Mexican money (“peso” means weight in Spanish).

“Average” – I’d use “Ave” (like a street). Or the song Ave Maria by Schubert or Josquin Des Prez.

“Cost” reminds me of a store in the US called Costco. Another image could be “costume”.

First, I would memorize the list of terms in order. Then I’d go back and read the definitions for each concept and add extra images to each location if necessary. Some of the info will just naturally stick in your memory by that point.

4 Likes

Net Present Value — Spider Man costume wrapping a Present
Internal Rate of Return — Heart Beating sending a Boomerang
Accounting Rate of Return ---- Calculator with digits as Rats and Boomerangs
Capital Asset Pricing Model ---- a big Cap with , Ass drawed on the front, on the head of a Prince (maybe Shrek lol) posing as a Top Model
Weighted Average Cost of Capital ---- Weight lifter in (ave)Rage, holding a train ticket very Costly to the Capital
Efficient Market Hypothesis ---- Elephant driving a Shopping Cart inside is a Hippo (somehow the sound of efficient reminds me elephant)
Foreign Direct Investment ---- Alien (foreign) holding a Direction post wearing a life (in)vest
the payback period ---- Mel Gibson (Payback movie) in pain because he has the Period
the discounted payback period ---- the above but also holding a Discount voucher
cost of capital ---- Kevin Costner holding a lot of bags with money
variable cost ---- big X tattoed in the back of Kevin Costner
fixed cost ---- a Nail in each corner of a dollar bill
short-term/long term interest rate ---- a girl using Shorts with unusual Long legs getting the Attention of a lot of small guys like Rats
momentum and reversal anomalies — a Mum Rehearsing and singing very Abnormally

2 Likes

I really dont understand what it has to do with your first post and with the help you asked.

1 Like

This is a very interesting topic. I’ve been thinking a lot about learning styles lately, because a few recent conversations have made me think that the way people learn can be very different.

I think I see what you’re saying – if someone doesn’t understand the definitions of a few words in the middle of an explanation, understanding of the whole concept can fall apart. This happens to me sometimes. Or maybe a certain word doesn’t convey the right meaning that leads to understanding.

I also think that having specific words helps me understand things more easily, but maybe not everyone is like this. :slight_smile:

There are some educational situations where I can pick up things very quickly, and other situations where I’m especially slow. If I have a list of categorized jargon, I can usually pick up things right away. I like things that involve a lot of very precise, complex words like programming computers and studying foreign language grammar. Maybe I gravitate towards those kinds of topics because they fit with the way my brain works more than other things.

I wonder if using a lot of complex jargon depends on a person’s learning style. I don’t know much about various learning styles, but would like to learn more.

1 Like

Well, without wanting to sound rude or keep further discussion just read the subject of the thread you created.

1 Like

I wonder if this might be different for different people. :slight_smile:

I think that my brain tends to like complex jargon, abbreviations, and symbols. I’ve done a couple of memorization experiments where I memorize a list of unfamiliar terms and then go back and learn what they mean. I find that it works very well for me.

Maybe some people are word- or symbol-oriented and other people have different learning styles?

1 Like

Here is another lists:
associate company
acquisition accounting
revaluation
Share capital
accounting adjusting entry
intangible assets
tangible non-current assets
current assets
asset valuation

1 Like

Here is the list I want to get suggestion for turning into pictures: Intangible assets, Amortisation, Share capital, Long term debt, Retained profit

1 Like

how can I turn break-even point into a picture?

1 Like

intangible assets such as goodwill, brand recognition and intellectual property, so how can I picture them

1 Like

Any suggestions on how to turn these into pictures

market value, book value, share premium, salvage value, residual value, straight-line method, reducing balance method, tax provision …

1 Like

Goodwill is considered an intangible asset because it is not a physical asset like buildings or equipment. work in progress is considered as a current asset on the balance sheet. consolidate financial statement
How to turn the meaning into pictures

1 Like

Can you give advices on how to turn a speech or memorize a paragraph using memory palace? I don’t think key words can work

1 Like

Try memorizing the key idea of each sentence, along with some key words.

Bateman

2 Likes

When I try to find an image, especially to abstract things, I play with the words in my mind for a while, find similar words, change some letters, adding and removing things, until I find something useful.

In my case, I know I have found something useful when my imagination shows me something and I laugh, then I know I got it.

And I try to do as Bateman says: “Try memorizing the key idea of each sentence, along with some key words.”

1 Like

First, pull out some keywords-
Goodwill, intagible asset, physical asset, work in progress, current assest, balace sheet, consolidate, statement.

Second, Create story-like active images-
God is sitting on a wheel = Goodwill
A triangle containing a set of balls= Intangible asset

A set of physics books- Physical asset

A computer saving a file= work in progress

Current asset= A set of current-conducting wires.

Balace sheet= You are balancing on a sheet.

Consolidate= A gaming console (PSP) showing the current date.

Statement= Your state is spreading peper mint.

Third, place them in loci in you mempry palace

Fourth, read the paragraph a few times like one 2 or 3…

Fifth, recite it from your memory.

2 Likes