How to trick the brain to use its entire memory capacity(Visual Memory Capacity+Spatial Memory Capacity+Auditory Memory Capacity..) for memorizing text?

I believe that our entire memory capacity is dramatically greater than our Visual and Spatial memory which is used when using the Memory Palace Method and I believe that it is at least 5 ties greater than our visual memory and at most 12 times greater than it but I also believe that using memory palace for remembering text wastes the capacity of our visual memory as we also need to store pictures in our visual memory and according to a proverb a picture is worth a thousand words and it really takes more space to store a picture than a word in memory which is done using Memory Palace technique when memorize text ,

And maybe this is the reason that the Memory Palace is inefficient for memorizing text and can anybody tell me how to trick the brain(of mine) to use its entire capacity to memorize text or create a way for memorizing text using the full memory capacity of the brain,

And,

Cheers.

1 Like

Where, oh where… do you get your statistics? Might as well be 3x and 7x or 10x and 25x… what is this based upon?

What’s the logic here? One word is 1Kb and thus 1,000 words is 1Mb, so a picture is 1Mb and a word is 1Kb? What is meant is that rather than talking to you for 1,000 words… I dunno, say a couple of minutes, I’ll just show you a picture… say 2-3 seconds for you to get the point.

Also, you got “show, don’t tell” in storytelling… the very same logic applies. Either way, it’s not the math that you’re proposing.

Maybe you should start with an Intro to Psychology book and check the part about the brain… I don’t know if you read any New Age stuff about how you only use 20% of your brain, but that is simply not the case. Also, can’t use your amygdala to memorize words, your prefrontal cortex is for executive function, Broca’s area is meant for language not for arithmetic… and omg, what are you talking about with this…

…what is that supposed to be? That’s like saying “use all of my eye to see”…

You want a way to do what? Memorize text? Verbatim? Gist? What?

Is that text structured in any way, shape, or form? You know that the Iliad is written in dactylic hexameter which makes it easier to remember… no, you can’t just create a meter for any random text that you want to memorize, the author would have to have that in mind. But that for example would make use of more than just your understanding of the written word, but the author would need to put it there for you.

Can you maybe rephrase your question (without random statistics) in a way that describes what you’re trying to achieve, your current approach, the problems you are facing with it… and maybe then, somebody here can give you a hint as to where to go from here.

2 Likes

The capacity of our short term memory(5-9 chunks) is greater than our long term memory(4 chunks) and some examples of types of memories which I believe have different capacities are-Olfactory Memory,Visual Memory and Auditory Memory and I had read that
“When we use different senses our memory capacity increases” and I have read some more sentences like this,

And a picture takes more storage capacity than a word which can maybe be used only for words instead of both pictures and words which is done when using a memory palace.

I want to use all the storage capacity of the brain,
I believe that our memory capacity is divided between different types of information(ex-Audio, Video etc) and I belive that all of our memory capacity is not used fully even when a lot of memory capacity is unused and I believe that we humans use 100% of our brain.

I want to memorize text verbatim and that text is structured and if it would have not been structured then I would have structured it using memory tricks.

First of, do you even know what a dactylic hexameter or a iambic pentameter is? I’m asking because you cut the quote after the word “dactylic”… that is what I mean by structured, not…

…because you can’t do that if you want to…

Why don’t you just give an example of the text you want to memorize. That might make all our lives easier.

Also…

…that makes no sense.

I recommend you to learn about the SCALM technique which is also called “Structure Chunk Associate Locate Memorize”

https://forum.artofmemory.com/t/introducing-the-super-clever-advanced-learning-method-scalm/52020

A picture takes more storage space than a word and when using a memory palace to memorize a sentence I believe that many people think of an image (which takes more space than a word)and then encode a word and a word takes lesser storage space than a picture,

And I think that if a person could use his entire memory capacity when memorizing text then he will not need to use most of the memory techniques in which images are used as images use a lot of memory maybe in the range of a single kilobyte to hundreds of kilobytes for an image with a high resolution and I believe that a single word takes only a few bytes most of the time

And if that person did use The Memory Palace for memorizing text then he will waste a lot of his memory storing images instead of text as he will use his full memory capacity instead of only using the memory capacity of his Visual and Spatial Memory.

Cute… since the “S” in “SCALM” already stands for:

1. The first step of the method is to Structure the information

…maybe in turn, can I suggest that you check a dictionary as to the meaning of

…as far as…

…that is so not how your brain works… what do you think? That you store this information as .jpg or .bmp files? That is at beat laughable! But since all of this is based on…

…maybe somebody else can come and play with you… I’m done with this thread.

What source says this?

A computer likely says yes, a brain does not exactly.

Think about it like this, if you have a computer that already has bits and pieces of audio and pictures stored and recalls how to reference them, then the reference data is not guaranteed to be larger for images than pieces of audio. Just a short example to say that you can’t really say pictures take more storage capacity than words (I assume you mean verbally).

I believe what you are after is using all your brain regions simultaneously or in sequence in order to increase the amount of things you can memorize in a burst of time. With the particular focus not being on speed but capacity, because you believe that capacity is limited you can therefore add onto it by doing this.

Putting aside the issues with doing this, the actual procedure is relatively simple, you just include all functionalities your brain undertakes (at least where able to). So your real question is ‘what are these functionalities?’.

Is this correct?

1 Like

If I an remember correctly then the brain compresses videos as well as the best video compression algorithms in the world and it can compress images 6x lesser size and Png can compress images upto 8x lesser size.

No, It is not correct,

Maybe the answer to this question can help me to use my brain’s entire memory capacity without tricking it for that capacity and I want to memorize fast because I will have to give an exam in a few days and I had not studied enough for that exam in which I will have to answer 50 multiple choice questions in it with unknown difficulty and I suspect that it will be an important exam because the results of the students who will take part in it may be published online but the students who will take part in it may be given two chances for passing that exam.

So essentially you want to study more effectively for a multiple choice exam and believe using your ‘brains entire memory capacity’ is a way to do this.

Given you have a few days, trying something new may not be optimal unless you are certain you can’t make do with what you have currently.

If you still want to go through with this, to start off with, you can test your hypothesis.
Namely you can use images to encode something and then use images+sound+scent to encode something and compare the results. For scent either use some physical object or visualize it, if both of these are not feasible then using your ‘brains entire memory capacity’ may need some further narrowing.

I believe that the Lanier Verbatim Memory System uses the capacity of both Visual Memory and Spatial Memory for memorising text and it has given me better results than the Memory Palace everytime I have used most of the parts of it for memorizing text,

Note: I did not use the entire Lanier System because I did not create any lists for its last step but I had imagined objects and people for that step in the same way I imagine objects for text in my Memory Palace without using a list of objects or people.

You know our brain capacity has estimated to 2.5 petabytes , it means if you starting to watch a video (high quality) then it takes you 300 years.
Because our brain consists of billions of neurons so that each one helps with many memories at a time.

And if you don’t know the 12 brain rules by John Medina then check it out.

Where he says our brain memorise interesting things faster means pictures and ignore boring things like words.

Example - If you trying to memorize the word ‘Dog’ .

Your way - Dog (Memorize the word means one sense ‘sight’)

But if we apply our all senses -

We imagine a dog.(sight sense)
He is barking. (Hearing sense)
Dog’s smell (you can imagine dog’s smell)
I know my pet dog smell that I can’t explain in words.
Touch the dog. (Feel to touch the dog)

And last store this picture in Memory palace , i guaranteed it stored in your long term memory.

Yeah I know , You think what i am joking because you are not trying to memorize a single word but a whole sentence , right?

But for whole sentence or paragraph , first read it and understand it.
Then divide them in parts.
Imagine pictures of each part that can remind you the whole thing. That’s it.

1 Like

@aicreator

And if you are trying to Memorize poem.

1. My first step is to read the whole poem one time and understand it.

2. Then imagine one picture per line of poem that reminds me the whole thing.

3. My third step is to stored in location.I am not using Memory palace for this but similar , I use Portraits , drawings or pictures for location.

4. And last important thing is to repetition.
    Revise them.
    1 hour later
    24 hours later
    1 weak later
    1 month later
    3 month later
    6 month later
    Maybe some person follow different repetition time , you can also choose you your repetition time.

1 Like

Wow. What a thread. I couldn’t even get a handle on all of the later details!

Some things popped out though:

"I believe…’ . People belive all sorts of things.

LTM has 4 chunks. I really hope it has more, but OK!

With the amount of ‘new’ mnemonic systems that seem to arise here on a weekly basis, this has got to be THE most prolific time for the creation of mnemonics!

I hope some historian is writing all of this stuff down.

I had typed that the capacity of our short term memory is 5-9 chunks instead of typing that our working memory has 5-9 chunks which is greater than the capacity of our short term memory by mistake which was unintended.

And based on what I had read in a website, Memory Palace is a brute force method and learning using memory palace is learning using brute force and I think that if the memory palace is a brute force method of learning then there can also be more efficient methods of learning,

I think that another name for the brute force method is the Trail and Error method which I believe is also used during rote repetition.

I’m not sure where you are getting this stuff. No offense intended.

Short term memory (STM) is essentially the same as working memory. Working memory is an elaboration of STM where they introduce things like the visuospatial sketchpad, and yes 5 to 9 with an average of 7 chunks is correct.

Brute force memorization normally refers to going over and over and over something until you know it. It is time intensive, usually text based memory work which doesn’t use things such as spatial memory which memory palaces try to leverage.

So, I don’t think you can legitimately call any mnemonic method a brute force method, since they do save time getting things into LTM typically through visualization (something people are already good at for the most part). Of course, long term memories take a while to consolidate, hence, even with mnemonic methods people typically use some form of spaced repetition. The advantage of mnemonics is to save time getting things into your head. Memory palaces leverage spatial memory (which people also seem to be able to do with almost no effort) with known or imagined locations within buildings and other locations, and so isn’t equivalent to trial and error which implies a lack of methodology.