How to take a screenshot (free)

[This is a post in the #faqs section.]

This post describes some easy, free ways to take screenshots on desktop and laptop computers.

Browser Method

The Firefox browser has a built-in screenshot tool, and it works on Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can right-click on any webpage in Firefox and then on “Take a screenshot”. There’s also a menu option that is described on the page and screenshot below. It’s a great way to take screenshots of your Memory League games and post them in the forum.

This page describes the feature:

Here’s where to find the menu:

You can then click-and-drag to select an area. If you click “Copy” you can then paste the image directly in a forum post with ctrl+c (Windows or Linux) or command+v (Mac).

Windows

On Windows, you can press ctrl+windows+s to copy an area of the screen.

Then paste the image directly into a forum post with ctrl+v.

Mac

On Mac, press shift+command+5.

GNU/Linux

For GNOME / Ubuntu, try these keybindings:

• Prt Scrn to take a screenshot of the desktop.
  • Alt+Prt Scrn to take a screenshot of a window.
  • Shift+Prt Scrn to take a screenshot of an area you select.

See also these instructions.

Editing Screenshots

To edit screenshots, you can use a free image editing program like GIMP.

Or simply Shift-Command-5 if you’re on a Mac… it’s build into the OS.

1 Like

It looks like there is a “snipping tool” in Windows too. If anyone has Windows, this might be useful.

For Linux/GNOME, the following keybindings should work. I’m using i3wm so I can’t test it at the moment. (My PrtSc key is bound to a shell script.)

• Prt Scrn to take a screenshot of the desktop.
  • Alt+Prt Scrn to take a screenshot of a window.
  • Shift+Prt Scrn to take a screenshot of an area you select.

Or look for the screenshot tool:
https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/screen-shot-record.html

An advantage of using Firefox for taking screenshots of webpages is that it can capture areas that are larger than the viewing area. It also copies them directly to the clipboard so that they can be pasted into the forum with ctrl+v (or command+v on Mac).

You can also take screenshots on all the game machines Switch, Xbox, PS. I do this in games and then send the pictures to my Ipad/Phone so I can make memory palaces from the games.

1 Like

On windows I also find
shift+windows+s : allows me to copy an area to clipboard right away.
Then paste it with ctrl+v

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve just added the tips for Mac and Windows to the top post.

1 Like