How to tackle these math-based factuals

examples
(Meonemonics) #1

Hey, personally I want to know how you would tackle these math-based factuals. For me, when trying to encode them into images, I’m not sure what to do. Since they’re just facts.
Should I just superimpose them onto my palaces as they are and maybe exaggerate some of their features to make them stand out?

Here they are:
MathBasedFactuals

It’s not much. Looking forward to hearing from you.
I just think that maybe it’s overkill to try to encode them into images. But let me hear what you think on these. Any advices?

1 Like
(Josh Cohen) #2

If you want to be able to recall them in order, then a short memory journey or peg list would work. Items like that could probably be memorized by the kind of illustrations that usually accompany them. \hat{y} looks kind of like a person’s face with a hat.

There are various ways to do it, but I memorized the list like this – I looked out the window of the cafe, made a quick 7-stage journey with the tree and apartment across the street (taking a photo so I could write this post later :slight_smile: ).

I then memorized the list with some images that probably only make sense to me. You might want to use whatever images/thoughts come into your head first when you read each fact.

1. linear regression model – a plot
  2. \hat{y} – looks like a face with a hat
  3. overprediction: below line – “As above, so below” (the Emerald Tablet)
  4. underprediction: above line – “As below so above” – I remember that this is the opposite of the previous one and/or that the saying is backwards, mentally moving to that location as I think that.
  5. scatter plot – I think of displaying a scatter plot in Emacs scratch buffer and hitting C-x C-e – the keybinding to execute lisp code. I remember the pairs without an image so I didn’t make an image for that.
  6. Good fit: plot looks random – well-fitting clothes on Random from Chronicles of Amber
  7. Bad fit – badly fitting clothes (some of my old clothes before I lost weight). The next three were chained with the story method.
    a. residual is large – large residue
    b. curves
    c. fans
(Meonemonics) #3

Thanks a lot!

For some mathematical equations, what I personally do is superimpose the image into the memory palace (like literally) emphasizing certain features of the equation. It has worked for me so far.

I will be reading this back and forth and hopefully get some ideas out of this.

1 Like

Wonderful @Josh! thank you for such a detailed explanation.

I am surprised by how dense your journey is. Do you usually place so many loci on one image?

(Josh Cohen) #5

I started making them more dense after reading this and this. I think that at least another 10 locations could be added there without getting too crowded.

“The living room in my flat, which used to be just one point, now has about fifty different points dotted around it.”

“I also have locations indoors where every single spot might be pretty small (like a bar of soap).”

1 Like